PDA

View Full Version : B757 Vs B737CL for FAA ATP

glideslopealive
15th Jun 2018, 15:11
Hello everyone. I am seeking professional advice from experienced pilots who have flown both the B737CL and B757. Also as well simulator flight instructors on both. I will be doing my FAA ATP (without type rating) at FTI USA in october. I have two options. Doing it on a B737CL or B757 sim. I have 4000hrs TT of which 2350hrs on the B1900D and 1250hrs on the Dornier 328TP. Zero jet experience and presently on the right seat. I will appreciate advice on which of them will be easier for me to do my ATP on. Pls note that I will not be flying either of these aircraft, but only doing my ATP check on one of them.

rudestuff
15th Jun 2018, 16:43
It's daft to do an ATP check on an aircraft that you haven't flown before - you will be expected to fly it to the ATP/type rating standard - except you haven't done the course! Why not just do it in a B1900 or Dornier? It'll be like doing a regular LPC.. Or a nice simple twin like a Duchess or Seneca?

glideslopealive
15th Jun 2018, 16:54
Rudestuff, I would have loved to do that. Buts its way too expensive. $25k for the Dornier 328 and to do an pic upgrade/ATP on the B1900 is $10k.

​​​​​​​It's daft to do an ATP check on an aircraft that you haven't flown before - you will be expected to fly it to the ATP/type rating standard - except you haven't done the course! Why not just do it in a B1900 or Dornier? It'll be like doing a regular LPC.. Or a nice simple twin like a Duchess or Seneca?

rudestuff
15th Jun 2018, 21:16
Where on earth did you get those figures from?! For that money you could do a full type rating.. You said you didn’t want a type, just an ATP. For that you just need a check ride - one flight. If you do it in a type you are familiar with, it’ll be much cheaper. If you do it in a Jet, you’ll have to learn how to fly that jet. If you want an FAA ATP you shouldn’t spend more than $2,000 - $3,000

rudestuff
15th Jun 2018, 21:31
It seems you’ve asked this question before, and received the same answers:

https://www.pprune.org/north-america/600177-atp-pic-upgrade-b1900-simulator.html

Your public profile says you fly the 737, but above you said you have zero jet time, so I’m a bit confused what you want but I’ll try to help: an ATP in a twin should cost under $3,000. Or you can do a check ride in a B1900 for a lot less than $10k - it’s just a single sim ride.

glideslopealive
17th Jun 2018, 04:36
I do not have the 328 endorsed on my FAA certificate bcos i did the initial type on a non FAA sim (CAE Madrid). CAE Toronto which is the only FAA sim in the world is charging 30k for an initial PIC/ATP on the 328. As for the B1900, I flew it last over 2yrs ago. I have it on my FAA certificate but Flight safety is charging 10k for a PIC upgrade/ATP. I had a B737 type 8yrs ago when I was fresh out of flight school. Flew the airplane for just 50hrs before the airline ceased operation. So I do not consider that I have jet experience with such.

glideslopealive
17th Jun 2018, 04:38
Rudestuff, I do not want to do my ATP on a light twin. Similarly, bcos of the cost of doing full type rating + ATP (10 - 12k) for these big jets, I have opted for the ATP only which is about 5k.