PDA

View Full Version : Vale David T Wales

jonah888
15th Jun 2018, 08:37
I am very sad to report that David passed away peacefully in his sleep in the early hours of this morning. He was at home with his wife. David had been unwell for the last 10 months..

BusyB
15th Jun 2018, 16:31
Sad news indeed. He was a Great Engineer and always fun to fly with. RIP Dave.

frampton
15th Jun 2018, 17:12
Very sad news. He was always fun to be around and will be sorely missed. Condolences to the family. RIP Dave.

Bergerie1
15th Jun 2018, 17:28
Is this the Dave Wales I knew in in BOAC and BA? If so, he was a one off and wonderful to know.

anxiao
15th Jun 2018, 20:02
I also had many pleasant and amusing flights with him in CX. A true joy to fly with and a gent of the first order. A man who could talk to kings and vagabonds and treat them either equally or in reverse order, depending on how they treated him in return.

I learned a lot about aeroplanes and about life from him.

Dora-9
15th Jun 2018, 20:12
What a character! Always a pleasure to fly with or just have a beer with. RIP Dave.

LongTimeInCX
16th Jun 2018, 04:44
One of my first memories in CX where he forever earned my respect, was in an early simulator conversion ride.
A particularly cranky old Capt was called off reserve to crew up, and was about as unhelpful as you could be. DW bless his socks said quite directly something along the lines of; Look, the young fella clearly knows nothing, why don't you at least try and help, or I'll jump in the seat, and I certainly couldn't do a worse job than you!
Always a pleasure to fly with, and a very knowledgeable man who was happy to share such knowledge when asked.
Did he stay in hk aftercreturement, as I did see him at HHYC a few years back?

Cavitasian
16th Jun 2018, 07:16
Long live the ‘Ginger Tom’! I think he went to live in Malaysia (Penang?) with Saw Koon. RIP Dave.

Raptor4
16th Jun 2018, 11:08
I am so sorry to hear this, Dave was one in a million. An absolute pleasure to work and play with. One of my favourite anecdotes about him. He'd just joined and was on the induction course. Noel Jones, aka the poison dwarf, came into the room waving a set of air tickets and harangued the assembled throng with his usual welcome of, "Don't care who you are or where you come from, you'll meet Cathay's standards or you'll be on the first flight out of here," to which Davey replied, "Well if that's your attitude, give me mine now, I don't want to work for an airline that treats its crew like that." Needless to say, the diminutive one backed off and amended his 'welcome' speech in the future.

olster
16th Jun 2018, 11:58
Very funny r4. I remember Dave well and agree with all above. RIP.

raven11
16th Jun 2018, 12:41
It was people like Dave that made the old Cathay the wonderful organization that it was. Even among that cast of classy characters, he stood out. A lovely bloke!

if there is a Cathay Club up there, somewhere...he is there now, sitting at the bar, with a cool drink in his hand and a welcoming smile.

Lordflasheart
28th Jun 2018, 20:46
UK Church Service and wake details in the 'Where are they now ?' fred - https://www.pprune.org/where-they-now/610376-david-t-wales-search-engine-optimization.html July 12th. Anecdotes sought. Looks like it'll be a good p-u !