PDA

View Full Version : Take an Anti tank rocket and tack on 4 drone engines and who needs a helicopter

NutLoose
12th Jun 2018, 11:51
Frightning and fascinating at the same time. I wonder how they aim it.

Belarus developed drone kit for anti-tank rocket launcher - Defence Blog (http://defence-blog.com/aviation/belarus-developed-drone-kit-anti-tank-rocket-launcher.html)

camelspyyder
12th Jun 2018, 12:44
Inspired by ISIS no doubt.

etudiant
12th Jun 2018, 13:57
A logical development.
The Iraqi army proved that conventional helicopters are too vulnerable to return fire to engage large formations directly. Bringing in cheap expendable drones shifts the equation.

I'd guess that the aiming unit is a derivation of the drone camera aiming setup widely sold commercially.

Duchess_Driver
12th Jun 2018, 15:28
Be very interested to see how stable it remains at the point of launch. Would need some sophisticated gyro stabilisation when the propellant ignites, surely.

etudiant
12th Jun 2018, 17:00
Be very interested to see how stable it remains at the point of launch. Would need some sophisticated gyro stabilisation when the propellant ignites, surely.

Not sure the drone could survive the launch, the missile exhaust is brutal.
Possibly the launch sequence is to release the missile once its seeker locks on, so there is some separation before the motor ignites.

NutLoose
12th Jun 2018, 18:43
I suppose one advantage is it takes the point of launch point away from the operatives making it difficult to locate them and you could pre"park" several assuming they have a self starting facility to set up an area denial.

FakePilot
12th Jun 2018, 19:51
It's a good use for your empty tubes too.