View Full Version : Queen’s Birthday Honours

Stationair8
11th Jun 2018, 23:55
Anyone in the aviation industry get a mention in the Queen’s birthday honours?

Capt Fathom
12th Jun 2018, 00:27
There are a lot of people in Aviation who are deserving of the honour.

I just shake my head each year when I see some of the others that get it.

AmarokGTI
12th Jun 2018, 01:52
Cath Conway OAM

Ascend Charlie
12th Jun 2018, 04:11
CEO of CA$A got the OPDGW*, the most highly desired award in the Feral Garment.

*Officer of the order of P00fters, Dunces and Gecko-Watchers.

Alpha Whiskey Bravo
12th Jun 2018, 04:59
Did I miss out again this year? Hmmmf! Might have to stop nominating myself at this rate! :}

LeadSled
12th Jun 2018, 07:14
Folks,
One I noticed was Jeff Brock, who used to be head of Aerospace Medical at CAA/CASA, back in the days when reason and common sense prevailed ( and CVD was treated per the AAT rulings).
Under his careful surveillance, an old mate of mine was the first heart transplant, anywhere in the world, to get a pilot license medical certificate back.
Jeff quit CASA (unofficially in disgust and frustration) and went back to the Army, Colonel Brock scored an AM, and well deserved, too.
Tootle pip!!

LeadSled
12th Jun 2018, 08:40
Folks,
On further reading, I see that John Sharp also got a gong for services to aviation, among other things.
In my opinion, his biggest contribution was starting the CASA Review in 1996, that gave us the major changes of 1998, CASRs 21-35, and two ties aviation legislation, as per so many other countries, like US or NZ. Sadly much undermined by CASA in recent years.
Tootle pip!!

gerry111
12th Jun 2018, 14:09
Michael Joel Solomon OAM was awarded partly for being a volunteer pilot for Angel Flight since 2006.

VH-MLE
13th Jun 2018, 01:10
John Sharp? Was that for services to travel allowance expenditure?

Also, what Captain Fathom said...

LeadSled
13th Jun 2018, 01:20
John Sharp? Was that for services to travel allowance expenditure?

MLE,
Cheap shot, Minister's do not keep their own travel records, and he was caught out by a trivial mistake, and some "politics" in PM&C.
I could even name the useless "Ministerial Advisor", seconded from the public service, not a "political", who was responsible. The advisor was just a natural born dill.
A waste of a very good Minister.
Tootle pip!!

VH-MLE
13th Jun 2018, 03:26
Cheap shot LeadSled, I don't think so.
Do a quick Google search on the name John Sharp and you'll find a mountain of material pertaining to the so called "travel rorts" affair. He even had to resign over it and for a greedy, self serving politician to do that, it must have been bad. Another minister was forced to resign too (Jull) for covering it up.
BTW, greedy, self serving politician is a generic statement that applies to 99% of them IMHO...
Once again, what Captain Fathom said...

airspace alpha
13th Jun 2018, 04:07
Of course our mandarins of the public service could benefit from the Uk: this from "Yes Minister"

talking about honours and the abbreviations of the Order of St Michael and St George: CMG, KCMG and GCMG]

Bernard Woolley (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0288621/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): Of course in the service, CMG stands for Call Me God. And KCMG for Kindly Call Me God.

James Hacker (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0248844/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): What does GCMG stand for?

Bernard Woolley (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0288621/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): God Calls Me God.

Desert Flower
13th Jun 2018, 08:37
Did I miss out again this year? Hmmmf! Might have to stop nominating myself at this rate! :}

Darn - I missed out too! :(

DF.

LeadSled
14th Jun 2018, 06:50
MLE,
Go back to the record, the amount of money involved was trivial, I remain of the view that he was a big loss, after all he established the CASA Review that gave us the only real reforms in aviation in a very long time, CASRs 21-35.
Tootle Pip!!

VH-MLE
15th Jun 2018, 08:39
If you call $9000 trivial (probably $12-13K in today's world) then you & I have a vastly different view on the definition of the word "trivial" - especially as it was greedily taken from the public purse by a supposedly "honourable" minister - what a joke. You may choose to write it off as an honest mistake, but I certainly don't. It makes a complete mockery of such an honour in my opinion...
I'm sure if it was a CASA official who ripped off the public purse to the tune of $9000, you'd want him executed on the spot!

LeadSled
15th Jun 2018, 14:47
I'm sure if it was a CASA official who ripped off the public purse to the tune of $9000, you'd want him executed on the spot!

MLE,
There have been, and they were, careerwise, anyway. And one bloke did get to serve a brief period as a guest of the Government. Indeed, there have been some very interesting reasons for involuntary departures from CASA, over the years.

As for the $9000, just for the record, in a travel budget measured in the hundreds of thousands for a senior minister, it is trivial, as I said earlier, Ministers don't keep their own records of such things, or do you think they (and not staff) check all the receipts.
Sharp never benefited by one brass razoo.

As for Google being an authoritative source, or the usual journalist pack, save me ---- do you really believe anything you read.
Tootle pip!!

VH-MLE
16th Jun 2018, 03:40
Well how can I argue with that logic!
I hear what you say about Google, but in this case it was 100% on the money in highlighting this flea's activities...

Lookleft
18th Jun 2018, 02:36
Isn't it also a question of accountability? If he is the Minister and the one receiving the benefit it doesn't matter whether it was a minion who made the error.

aroa
19th Jun 2018, 06:37
MLE...I seek some executions. 9 grand... a piffle !!

I can point you to some CASA 'bigwigs /knobs/whatever' who blew over a quarter of a million bucks on something they already knew...!! I kid you not.
When its serious CYA time ...who gives a rats about the public purse.? certainly not CAsA.
And if you read CAsA's joke 'code of (mis)conduct'...you will note that ..'not to waste public monies , is just one of the other motherhood (laughable ) statements therein that they dont take any notice of either.
"Fairness, Honesty, Ethical conduct >>>etc " Ha faaarking baarking Ha ! What a sick joke,

What was the cost of the Airbus 380 endorsement , as a "little " retirement prezzie for one of the Ring ?
There are those here who have quoted the amount in the past.
No wonder CAsA never terminated the fuel levy period... they need the dosh to squander.