PDA

View Full Version : My Tornado GR1 cockpit project so far

Jayviator
8th Jun 2018, 17:00
Just wanted to show my Tornado GR1 cockpit as it is so far, the cardboard panels are just a temporary measure until i can either get some original panels, or some made for me, i might even be able to get away with using hardboard but still want a metal frame to support it, I have not put the HUD on as that is very heavy and I am not sure the box could support it.
I think the RWR could do with being a few mm to the right and i think the entire panel needs to be a little higher, but like i said this is just a temporary set up so i can see how its going to look.
I have a few more parts which I have not yet fitted.
Just wanted to show my Tornado GR1 cockpit as it is so far, the cardboard panels are just a temporary measure until i can either get some original panels, or some made for me, i might even be able to get away with using hardboard but still want a metal frame to support it, I have not put the HUD on as that is very heavy and I am not sure the box could support it.
I think the RWR could do with being a few mm to the right and i think the entire panel needs to be a little higher, but like i said this is just a temporary set up so i can see how its going to look.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1747/42674899801_0239befaea_c.jpg
Tornado GR1 cockpit project by Jason Evans

Onceapilot
8th Jun 2018, 17:21
I think I flew that bit!:)
Best wishes with your project.

OAP

RimBim
8th Jun 2018, 19:18
Splendid progress so far but I wonder if the RWR could do with being a few mm to the right?

Timelord
8th Jun 2018, 19:39
Not to be picky, but for the sake of accuracy what you are calling “RWR” is, I think , “RWE” . Radar Warning Equipment. I only ever saw this in German and Italian jets at Cottesmore but it may have been fitted to very early Brit GR 1s. By the early 1990s GR1s had RHWR which had a different display.

ZH875
8th Jun 2018, 20:26
Elettronica Radar Warning Equipment was fitted to Batch 1 Tornadoes. Mainly TTTE ones. They were programmed by putting Diodes into circuit boards, One way or the other to pass or reject a parameter. The only problem was that some diodes were marked correctly, others were not. After a Tornado/Jaguar mid-air collision it was recommended that the RWE be refitted into the TTTE jets to help prevent further incidents. Caused a bit of confusion that did.

just another jocky
9th Jun 2018, 08:58
I believe RWE was fitted to all early RAF GR1s, including front line jets. I think the RAF Germany sqns got RHWR first (if they ever had RWE???), followed by the Marham & Honington sqns last.

Jayviator
9th Jun 2018, 12:49
Splendid progress so far but I wonder if the RWR could do with being a few mm to the right?
I thought that as well, its quite hard to get everything in the right position just from looking at photos, especially of the photos are not head on. I wish there was some way of getting blueprints of the panel so when i make a more permanent version i can get everything in the perfect position. I'm thinking about how i can make a frame to support the panel and the side comnsoles and at the moment i'm considering using wood, it would be cheaper and easier to get, plus my neighbor is a carpenter so could probably knock something up for me if i give him all the right measurments, foir the side consoles i think a simple wooden box like structure with appropriatly sized holes for the units to slot into.
just got my first part from the right hand console today, at the moment I am concentrating on getting hold of the bits i think are most important, whilst i know every component was important but stuff like lighting control i'm not to worried about , the bit i got today was the TF Radar control i consider that a pretty vital part of the Tornado!
The bottom switch has writing but its seen some action and what it says is illegible it looks like F??O AGTY on the left and FIX?O or D FREO or D or perhaps even Q so it could be fixed freq?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/840x2000/tornado_tf_radar_a5409bfb01fe9615826be0ee795b3ea1b6ae435e.jp g

Jayviator
9th Jun 2018, 12:58
ZA399 has the RWE and it says that's it's a gulf war veteran so perhaps im ok with this!

Jayviator
9th Jun 2018, 13:01
Not to be picky, but for the sake of accuracy what you are calling “RWR” is, I think , “RWE” . Radar Warning Equipment. I only ever saw this in German and Italian jets at Cottesmore but it may have been fitted to very early Brit GR 1s. By the early 1990s GR1s had RHWR which had a different display.
Thanks for the info RE the RWE some would this have been replaced by RHWR when they were deplyed in the Gulf war, I would like it to be as accurate as possible but its hard to get it accurate becuase they changed a few things so i can just try to make sure all the parts were fitted at the same time and i would like to base it on the layout when it was in the Gulf war so i might have to replace that RWE.
Cheers.

waddingtonpete
9th Jun 2018, 14:50
The TFR control panel is mark on the bottom as Freq Agty (Frequency Agility) and Fixd Freq (Fixed freqency)

Jayviator
9th Jun 2018, 19:34
The TFR control panel is mark on the bottom as Freq Agty (Frequency Agility) and Fixd Freq (Fixed freqency)
Cheers for that info

insty66
10th Jun 2018, 10:58
And if you're going for full normal day to day accuracy it would be in the Fixd Freq position screwed down with a little tell tale wire

glad rag
10th Jun 2018, 11:22
Good luck finding an E scope!

still IF you could get one, the EU, right power supply and all hooked up it would look good on test!!!

Jayviator
10th Jun 2018, 12:43
And if you're going for full normal day to day accuracy it would be in the Fixd Freq position screwed down with a little tell tale wire
Aha thanks for that, I thought it was broken or something as I could not get it to move, the on and off switch you have to pull up a little to move it so i was trying to move the other one the same way and it wouldn't budge.
I cant see any wire though but the top is a little different it has a metal top fitted with grooves in the side and a little slot on the top maybe it has to be removed for thre switch to work?
PS I just figured out i can turn that metal top and then the switch can move so its in the FIXD FREQ setting now!

Jayviator
10th Jun 2018, 12:48

still IF you could get one, the EU, right power supply and all hooked up it would look good on test!!!
Is there a reason why some particular instruments seem harder to get, i cant image it would be anything to do with being classified as its old tech now, If i can get the altimeter and VSI i will be happy because at least then I have the main flight instrument panel. I have a plan if there are anythings i cant get i really don't want to but i might have to just stick a life size photo in its place, or even try and model one, im quite good at stuff like that so i could make a reproduction out of clay, but that's only a last resort!

Jayviator
12th Jun 2018, 22:58
Started on the left console, excuse the Blue peter look, it is temporary! I spotted a few panels of hardboard or plywood that have been left outside, I might have to nab a few bits, has to be better than cardboard! with a lick of grey paint it should look decent enough.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1743/42045927504_f0b3ce8c10_c.jpg
Tornado GR1 left side console

osbo
15th Jun 2018, 04:04
ZA399 has the RWE and it says that's it's a gulf war veteran so perhaps im ok with this!
ZA399 received parts from a TTTE trainer when it was refurbished. See here:

https://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2014/06/za399-gulf-war-veteran-tornado-gr1-preserved-knutsford-cheshire/

It most definitely had RHWR during Desert Storm.

Jayviator
16th Jun 2018, 20:32
ZA399 received parts from a TTTE trainer when it was refurbished. See here:

https://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2014/06/za399-gulf-war-veteran-tornado-gr1-preserved-knutsford-cheshire/

It most definitely had RHWR during Desert Storm.
Drat! that is annoying but also useful to know, cheers Did they still have the weapons control panel above the rapid take of panel? I have located a RHWR but if it turns out the weapons control panel was replaced i might just stick with what I have now, i think the RWE looks mire interesting and it would be good to have oit as an original Tornado, but my plan was to have it as it was when it was used in combat. So i could just replace the RWE and keep it as a display piece or possibly sell or exchange it so i can get another part. Are there any photos of a Tornado GR1 cockpit as it was laid out during Desert storm?

FakePilot
16th Jun 2018, 22:14
I think woodworking is a prerequisite for cockpit building. Don't put off learning it if you haven't already! If you are electronically talented theres all sorts of little computers and displays that could be built into fake instruments. I'd love to have a cockpit builder next door. I could probably make a circuit board to drive most of those instruments or simulate inputs from whats missing. Of course I have enough projects as it is. 😊

Jayviator
17th Jun 2018, 10:50
I think woodworking is a prerequisite for cockpit building. Don't put off learning it if you haven't already! If you are electronically talented theres all sorts of little computers and displays that could be built into fake instruments. I'd love to have a cockpit builder next door. I could probably make a circuit board to drive most of those instruments or simulate inputs from whats missing. Of course I have enough projects as it is. 😊
The problem is I have a disability called dyspraxia which makes certain things very difficult to me, i found it hard enough cutting out right size holes in the cardboard for the instruments to fit in!

Jayviator
23rd Jun 2018, 12:55
You could say my project has reached new heights, since I finally managed to get the proper RAF type barometric altimeter,, also put the HUD in place, I wasnt sure of the box, or the map unit would support the weight as it is rather heavy, but it seems to be OK. I also have noticed the map seems to be slightly tilted upwards in the real cockpit so I will have to try and do that when I make the final version.
I managed to get some MDF which i will use for the panels and got a few bits of wood i can use to make a structure to mount the panels to.
Does anyone know if there are any place with a Tornado cockpit I can have access to so I can take some detailed photos and measurements? I know I am never going to have it 100% accurate but I would like to get it as good as I can.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1784/42916724732_1c17d027f6_c.jpg
Tornado cockpit project with barometric altimeter and HUD by Jason Evans

Buster15
23rd Jun 2018, 13:18
The problem is I have a disability called dyspraxia which makes certain things very difficult to me, i found it hard enough cutting out right size holes in the cardboard for the instruments to fit in!

Sir. I am interested in what is your motivation to produce your GR1 cockpit. My apologies if you have already stated this previously. I love what you have achieved, looks excellent by the way.

Jayviator
23rd Jun 2018, 19:37
Its just been a dream of mine since I was about 10 to have my own cockpit i could sit at and press buttons, flick switches and examine all the instruments, because of my Aspergers and Dyspraxia it means i can't be a real piloit, taking the controls of the chipmunk when i was an air cadet is as near as i will get, well more recently i had a go in a Piper Warrior 11 which belongs to a rather awesome company called Aerobility to help people with all kinds of disabilities learn to fly. and just over a week ago i was very lucky to have a flight in a Spitfire and got to take the controls,. Sp yes i have wanted my own cockpit for over 30 years, I wasn't particularly fussed about what type of aircraft it was, but the Tornado is one of my favourites, as its been really the backbone of the RAF throughout my entire life, and sadly as they are being retired next year, and quite a few have already been scrapped, there's more parts of them available. although some of the parts seem very hard or imposible to get. Originally i started of just having one or 2 bits which were just meant to be display items then i got more and before i knew it i thought i may as well try and make a cockpit! and i chose to base it on a GR1 as in my mind that is the original and proper Tornado.

Jayviator
25th Aug 2018, 20:29
Some made a left panel from MDF as they were doing a similar project to me but they gave up so now I got the panel, it was unpainted so today i painted it in battleship grey which seems to be a pretty good match, the gaps between the instruments are a bit wide but i think it would be hard to make it entirely accurate as there would be only a very thin piece of MDF between the holes probably quite difficult to cut it like that, its still a lot better than the cardboard! eventually i might make another panel, using this as a template but using a small amount of metal as a spacer between the instruments that way i can make it look more aunthentic. I finally got all the main flight instruments, the VSI is from an F3 but as far as I can tell its identical to the one used on the GR1 so i can accept that, I got a few other new bits as well, but they are for the side consoles, and other F3 part is the environment controls and yet another F3 part the angle of attack meter, again these both seem to be identical to the ones used in the GR1 and I am currently waiting for the fuel control panel , i dont know what aircraft that was fitted to but i think they are probably standard in all variants.https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/762x800/tornado_cockpit_project_with_panel_painted_battleship_grey_7 62x800__71d7c524693c70549355f1d02a3560c4bb44db01.jpg

NutLoose
25th Aug 2018, 21:30
Seen these from below the head down display

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-MOD-Panavia-Tornado-Cockpit-Electrical-Equipment-Display-Panel-Assembly/222902872221?hash=item33e60be89d:g:404AAOSwjI5avLYS

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panavia-Tornado-Cockpit-Electrical-Equipment-Display-Panel-Assembly/222212121508?epid=839261317&hash=item33bcdfe3a4:g:IEIAAOSw1S9WgqY4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panavia-Tornado-Cockpit-Electrical-Equipment-Display-Panel-Assembly/222987827154?epid=839261317&hash=item33eb1c37d2:g:vpwAAOSwcx5ZZ3c9

Jayviator
25th Aug 2018, 21:37
I have seen those but they are not a part I recognize, can't see it on any photos.

NutLoose
25th Aug 2018, 21:45
look at 2nd link 2nd last picture

The populated panel can be seen in the last but one picture behind the pilot's control stick marked 1.

Jayviator
25th Aug 2018, 21:50
I think they are from the F3, looks like that empty space was for the trims gauge, which I have but it was fitted a different place on the GR1 , its so difficult to get it accurate as i see many photos, even of GR1 which have slightly different layouts.

NutLoose
25th Aug 2018, 21:56
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/1199x899/08_20_20panavia_20tornado_20gr_1_20pilot_c3_86s_20cockpit_e1 4c3c59f64e6750f669548a292d586439252d46.jpg

NutLoose
25th Aug 2018, 22:03
However there are differences, i will be at Bruntingthorpe tomorrow if I can get in do you wannt me to try and get some pictures of theirs? this one

https://twitter.com/tornadoza326/status/651689976086835200

NutLoose
25th Aug 2018, 22:15
seen this?

Cockpit large image (http://www.simskunkworks.com/pa200tablet/index.php/2-uncategorised/39-cockpit-large-image)

Jayviator
25th Aug 2018, 22:21
That would be great thanks, if possible could you measure how far it is from the floor of the cockpit to the bottom of the main control panel. I'm going to construct the central panel out of MDF and it will also be thre support for ther PMD and HUD plus I will add supports underneath for the instrument panels. i need to make the base for the PMD at a slight angle as it appears to be slightly tilted upwards.

Jayviator
25th Aug 2018, 22:29
seen this?

Cockpit large image (http://www.simskunkworks.com/pa200tablet/index.php/2-uncategorised/39-cockpit-large-image)
I think I have seen that but did not realize I could see a large version, that's quite handy and seems to be the layout closest to my project

Jayviator
23rd Sep 2018, 20:17
Got a few new parts, just one more instrument to get now to complete the front panel, well I'm missing a few buttons, switches and so on but I am not so fussed about that, I have given up on making it a perfect complete cockpit, it's turning out to be more of an expensive project than I thought! I am going to try and get some proper metal panels cut for the front panels, the wooden left side one is OK but not quite right as there is to much of a gap between the instruments, its probably hard to get the holes cut that accurate uisng wood. My new parts are the total fuel contents indicator, fuel managment panel and environment conntrol panel.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/390x640/tornado_total_fuel_contents_za449_390x640__a83f8b3c2417fd954 ce849ff28cdfa77af67b4f8.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x450/environment_control_panel_tornado_640x450__e5b32f4be59b82715 cdcf8a37f6808461db5733b.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/555x640/tornado_fuel_conrol_panel_ze168_555x640__4da4c0331cbaad86e85 a4c4695b7c45fa08c911f.jpg

NutLoose
23rd Sep 2018, 21:38
That would be great thanks, if possible could you measure how far it is from the floor of the cockpit to the bottom of the main control panel. I'm going to construct the central panel out of MDF and it will also be thre support for ther PMD and HUD plus I will add supports underneath for the instrument panels. i need to make the base for the PMD at a slight angle as it appears to be slightly tilted upwards.

It was all shut up as the weather was bad when i got there, sorry I forgot to let you know.

Jayviator
24th Sep 2018, 16:25
Thanks all the same.
Maybe if you go again one day?

NutLoose
24th Sep 2018, 16:59
Will do, some might have the drawings on the flypast forums

BVRAAM
24th Sep 2018, 22:40
Looking good bud...

Jayviator
26th Sep 2018, 21:12
Looking good bud...
Cheers! it is getting there. I found somewhere local that does metal panel work so might enquire about getting some panels made up to mount the instruments, the wooden one is OK but not accurate enough for my liking! they say no job to big or small so might have some joy. And as you know I may be getting a seat as well!

NutLoose
23rd Jan 2019, 09:53

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392220477848

Just This Once...
23rd Jan 2019, 20:03
The fuel panel is from an F3 rather than a GR1.

unmanned_droid
23rd Jan 2019, 20:32
I have this book:

https://biblio.co.uk/book/panavia-tornado-spearhead-nato-price-alfred/d/925742722?aid=frg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=feed-details&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlZX_0eyE4AIVyIKyCh3f7gAQEAQYCCABEgIM5_D_ (https://biblio.co.uk/book/panavia-tornado-spearhead-nato-price-alfred/d/925742722?aid=frg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=feed-details&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlZX_0eyE4AIVyIKyCh3f7gAQEAQYCCABEgIM5_D_Bw E)BwE

Panavia Tornado by Alfred Price, in case that link fails.

It has line drawings of the GR cockpit panel layouts (although probably to an early standard) along with lots of other good info.

frodo_monkey
23rd Jan 2019, 21:10

GR4 certainly had the same fuel panel - although no actual ‘Tank O’, it still had the switch...

insty66
26th Jan 2019, 20:41
There's an E-scope on Ebay if you're after one It's HERE (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aircraft-Panavia-Tornado-TFR-Radar-Display-Unit-79-061-10-5821-99-655-6566/392220477848?hash=item5b52298998:g:TWIAAOSwh99cReiK:rk:40:pf :0)

Jayviator
2nd Feb 2019, 00:27
Cheers, it was a little more than what I wanted to spend but I was desperate to get it as its the last "main" instrument I needed, i hoped seeinga s I have been a good custome of theirs over the last year they might offer me a bit of a discount, i suppose i should be gratefull I got £5 knocked off!

Jayviator
2nd Feb 2019, 00:28
I have this book:

https://biblio.co.uk/book/panavia-tornado-spearhead-nato-price-alfred/d/925742722?aid=frg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=feed-details&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlZX_0eyE4AIVyIKyCh3f7gAQEAQYCCABEgIM5_D_ (https://biblio.co.uk/book/panavia-tornado-spearhead-nato-price-alfred/d/925742722?aid=frg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=feed-details&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlZX_0eyE4AIVyIKyCh3f7gAQEAQYCCABEgIM5_D_Bw E)BwE

Panavia Tornado by Alfred Price, in case that link fails.

It has line drawings of the GR cockpit panel layouts (although probably to an early standard) along with lots of other good info.

Thanks I shall check that out

Jayviator
2nd Feb 2019, 00:31

May i ask what he difference is,? I cannot see any diffrence on the one which is used on the just flight GR1 sim which I beleive is based on a GR1 cockpit
You are correct though, it is from an F3, i just found the MOD form which came with it, its from ZE168 but I still think its identical to the GR1/4 panel, i have a few other F3 parts to but again they seem to be identical so that is acceptable.

Jayviator
2nd Feb 2019, 00:33
I found out that my throttles are from a F3 which is dissapointing but to expensive to replace them now so I will just have to make do, they are almost identical apart from the chaff/flare switch on the outboard throttle.

Jayviator
2nd Feb 2019, 00:56
I have not posted my progress for a while, since my last post I have made a right side panel from cardboard as a temporary measure and managed to get a fuel flow gauge. i replaced the older RWE with a RWHR which is more accurate to the period I am basing my cockpit on, made a left side console, again its justa cardboard box i painted battleship grey sems a pretty good match but will make another from wood eventually. Got a CWP but discovered thats from the rear seat of a GR1T but its only if you cna read the captions you can tell that, its pretty cool becuase the internal circuits have been removed to allow a light to be fitted so it cna be illuminated. Yesterday I got an E-scope but I am waiting until i get more wood so i can make 2 new panels as the left panel the holes are not in the right place (there should be less of a gap between the instrumemnts) and then i can fit the E-scope as well. Then its mostly switches and buttons, and the glareshield but I am not confident I can get those. Still got a few bits from the right console as well but its getting there.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7908/32012965637_40d3d530ec_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QLSPnp)
Tornado GR1 cockpit mock up 2019 01 (https://flic.kr/p/QLSPnp) by Jason Evans (https://www.flickr.com/photos/145547634@N04/)
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7889/46229376524_14a3b72d78_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2dr8D2W)
Tornado GR1 cockpit left side console (https://flic.kr/p/2dr8D2W) by Jason Evans (https://www.flickr.com/photos/145547634@N04/)
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4827/33078577898_b28ab56c64_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Sp3mLA)
Tornado GR4 CWP ZG756 (https://flic.kr/p/Sp3mLA) by Jason Evans (https://www.flickr.com/photos/145547634@N04/)
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4861/39989501423_1faabfd636_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23VJDyt)
E-scope (https://flic.kr/p/23VJDyt) by Jason Evans (https://www.flickr.com/photos/145547634@N04/)

Jayviator
2nd Feb 2019, 00:58
Sorry I dont know why its uploaded duplicate images.

bgbazz
2nd Feb 2019, 07:06
Great job mate...I admire your patience and attention to detail.

NutLoose
4th Feb 2019, 15:52
It's looking superb, and a credit to you .. btw you will wince at prices, seen these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tornado-Aircraft-Cockpit-Pilot-R-H-Panel-Dash-Frame-Instrument-Face-Mount/123583906015?hash=item1cc62cc0df:g:D2oAAOSweVNbZORO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tornado-Aircraft-Cockpit-Blank-Rudder-Instrument-Panel-P910726-413/183640389675?hash=item2ac1d1f82b:g:pk0AAOSwkFZcQfjw

is that the top coaming, though it says f3 is there a difference?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAF-Panavia-Tornado-F3-Aircraft-Cockpit-Panel-Fairing/132458192942?hash=item1ed71fa02e:g:wroAAOSwJj9aT2zI:rk:31:pf :0

NutLoose
4th Feb 2019, 16:12
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tornado-Aircraft-Cockpit-Left-Arm-Cockpit-Panel-Facia-P911947/123587800050?hash=item1cc6682bf2:g:JBoAAOSwDjFbjarB

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tornado-Late-Arm-Cockpit-Panel-P910365-045-BAE-Systems/183567783700?hash=item2abd7e1714:g:b0MAAOSwJtJcBpiQ

NutLoose
4th Feb 2019, 16:42
For the duplicate images go advanced then un-tick the boxes, i cannot remember which it is, i wish the site would set it off as default

miller745
4th Feb 2019, 20:49
Great project! Here is a really interesting video on the RPMD you may be interested in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EQqfxiGgd8&list=FLdHVZXG3HcaHl9_TDTrM4ow&index=64

Jayviator
14th Apr 2019, 22:17
Cheers, worked a treat!, do I have to do that all the time when uploading images?

Jayviator
14th Apr 2019, 22:46
Great project! Here is a really interesting video on the RPMD you may be interested in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EQqfxiGgd8&list=FLdHVZXG3HcaHl9_TDTrM4ow&index=64
Cheers that was certainly very interesting, a bit techical for me but it was cool to see what the MMD looked like when it was working. I'm tempted to open mine up now just to see the internals.

BigX
18th Apr 2019, 15:35
From someone who’s not flown the GR1/4 for 15 years, you’re doing an exceptional job. I look forward to seeing the finished project.

Buster15
18th Apr 2019, 19:08
Great job mate...I admire your patience and attention to detail.

Well said. I second that. Top man.

Eskimo John
23rd Jul 2019, 12:25
It seems to be a long time since the last update - How is it going?

I have a Tornado central warning unit that I want to integrate into my FS. Any chance of a wiring diagram?

The cockpit looks fantastic so far!

Jayviator
30th Aug 2019, 01:35
It has been quite a while since I have posted any updates and there has been quite a few, got a genuine RH panel complete with fire extinguisher buttons. somne extra parts for both LH side console and RH console, including a replacement hand controller with the voice recorder controls and a panel which has a part which the wanderlamp is stored and a jack release lever on the right console i got the TACAN the throttle rock test/governor test/APU test controls the NVG controls external lights controls, tank fuel temperature gauges the AICS controls although not sure if they were fitted during Gulf war. I have changed my mind about trying to make it accurate to a particular time as its almost imposible to find out what the layout was like during GW1 and I have learned that its possible that no cockpit was ever identical it dpeneds on the mod state im still saying mine is a GW1 GR1 though! I also got a rapd take of panel, it only had 2 switches in place so i have just purchsed the rest of thds switches and they came today so I have installed those, the ganging lever is broken so i casnt operate it but i might try and make something so it can be used even thought it wont be authentic. so its getting there but theres still a lot to do, like somehow i still need to construt some kind of cockpit framework i think i might never get it complete but I have got this far so I will carry on trying!

Jayviator
30th Aug 2019, 01:37
Re wiring diagram for CWP, sorry I cant help woith that as all the insides have been removed to allow for a light to be fitted so i can see the captions illuminated.

Jayviator
31st Aug 2019, 20:48
From someone who’s not flown the GR1/4 for 15 years, you’re doing an exceptional job. I look forward to seeing the finished project.
Thank you sir, I am not sure how much I can do with this, the parts i need to complete it are becomig hard to find and some people are asking crazy prices for parts. I have had a lot of help alomng the way though, mainly with information but a few kind people have helped with getting some of the parts as well, and I am hoping ,my neighbour will be able to help me build a wooden framework for the cockpit.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48644756123_6ea04f1492_c.jpg
Tornado GR1 cockpit project with rapid start panel complete

NutLoose
31st Aug 2019, 23:18
Wow, now that's impressive.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Sep 2019, 17:23
You will get there in the end. You are right about chasing Mods. There are few steady state periods in combat aircraft. It used to be challenging for crews too!

There is/was a Dutch lady who built a working V-bomber navigation system. She chose a Mark 1 version. Remarkably she got it all working though unlike you it was not in its actual aircraft layout.

Your next challenge, make it work?

30mRad
3rd Sep 2019, 19:26
A brilliant project Jayviator, and I'm hugely impressed with what you've achieved (and a little jealous!). I wouldn't worry about the lack of a "gang bar" on the Rapid Take-Off Panel - I've flown jets where the "gang bar" was not there/disabled etc so not having it will be quite realistic. I reality you switched on all but 2 when you got in (one was pitot heater and the other was wind screen heater - to prevent over heating without airflow over them) and then put those on in the pre-take off checks.

Look forward to the next update!

30mRad

Jayviator
3rd Sep 2019, 22:01
Wow, now that's impressive.
Thank you!

You will get there in the end. You are right about chasing Mods. There are few steady state periods in combat aircraft. It used to be challenging for crews too!

There is/was a Dutch lady who built a working V-bomber navigation system. She chose a Mark 1 version. Remarkably she got it all working though unlike you it was not in its actual aircraft layout.

Your next challenge, make it work?

Cheers, getting it to work is way beyond my abilities, that would require some degree of electrical skills which I have none and I probaboy would not be allowed to do anything as where I live I am not allowed to have any electircal items installed without a qualified electrician. It would be nice though!

A brilliant project Jayviator, and I'm hugely impressed with what you've achieved (and a little jealous!). I wouldn't worry about the lack of a "gang bar" on the Rapid Take-Off Panel - I've flown jets where the "gang bar" was not there/disabled etc so not having it will be quite realistic. I reality you switched on all but 2 when you got in (one was pitot heater and the other was wind screen heater - to prevent over heating without airflow over them) and then put those on in the pre-take off checks.

Look forward to the next update!

30mRad

Thanks, that is very interesting info and makes me feel a lot better about the broken gang bar.
My next update will hopefully be when i get a new LH panel made with the holes cut in the right places (needs to be less of a gap between the instruments) and an extra hole for the E-scope,

Jayviator
3rd Sep 2019, 22:13
Forgot to add pic of the now almost complete LH side console, just need the oxygen connection panel which fits behind the oxygen switch and then I will make a more permanent console with wood as the cardboard is starting to bend a little from the weight of the parts!
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48655226893_ba67d90c49_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2h8uKQi)
Almost comnplete LH side console (https://flic.kr/p/2h8uKQi)

Jayviator
3rd Sep 2019, 22:29
30mRad I was curious about your name and wondered if it has any connection to the MRAD on the HUD, i Have always wondered what that meant so did a bit of reading and if its the same thing then it means Miliradian which is something to do with adjusting gun sights, funnily enough the readout on my HIUD was almost indicationg 30 so i turned knob so it now does display 30! (may I ask what the relevance of the 30 is or is it just a random number?)

30mRad
4th Sep 2019, 13:23
30mRad I was curious about your name and wondered if it has any connection to the MRAD on the HUD, i Have always wondered what that meant so did a bit of reading and if its the same thing then it means Miliradian which is something to do with adjusting gun sights, funnily enough the readout on my HIUD was almost indicationg 30 so i turned knob so it now does display 30! (may I ask what the relevance of the 30 is or is it just a random number?)

It is to do with milliradians and no conincidence that your HUD was close to 30! 30 was the setting for strafe! I'll PM you more.

Dark Helmet
5th Sep 2019, 06:57
That's all looking superb Jayviator!

Jayviator
14th Feb 2020, 23:45
A few changes to my cockpit since my last posts, New reproduction LH panel with the E-scope fitted (and some fake buttons!) F3 throttles replaced with GR4 throttles, (which I think are the same as what was fitted to GR1) GR4 hand controller replaced with GR1 controller, GR4 to GR1 SPILS controls BRSL controls fitted and the oxygen connection plate added.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49536206331_b88fdd7ed5_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2itm1jX)Tornado GR1 front cockpit 02 2020 (https://flic.kr/p/2itm1jX) by Jason Evans (https://www.flickr.com/photos/145547634@N04/)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49535690823_422fa6722a_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2itin5T)Tornado GR1 LH side console 02 2020 (https://flic.kr/p/2itin5T) by Jason Evans (https://www.flickr.com/photos/145547634@N04/)

Pauljw
15th Feb 2020, 00:00
I haven’t been in a Tornado cockpit , but it’s looking good .

Onceapilot
15th Feb 2020, 09:24
Good work. I suggest you try to find the top coaming/glareshield panels. They are quite distinctive, were very important with all the functionality on them, including the red attention getter/cancel annunciator lights and the need to manipulate the Mass and Late arm switches during weaponry. On Nuttys pic in post #29, you can see how they look. Note that his pic shows the updated Mass switch without the loose key. That was a mod in about '90. Front w/shields didn't seem too expensive either?
Funny thing is, many of us will have flown bits of your collection! :ok: Cheers

OAP

Jayviator
15th Feb 2020, 10:32
Indeed I wish i could add them, unfortunately I have never seen a glareshield on offer on ebay which is really my only source of parts as I cant get to any of the salvage places. But I will keep looking, I have a few of the parts to go in the coamings, the red attention getter buttons, a MASS control (the older type with a key) and the standby magnetic compass.
There is a left coaming panel on ebay but its never been used, unpainted and doesnt have the panel attached, and im not even sure its the type i want as there seems to be an extra hole and i cannot see what would have fitted there on the GR1.
My new throttles came out of ZA614, wonder if anyone here has flown that particular aircraft?

Onceapilot
15th Feb 2020, 11:07
Yes, I have about four sorties in 614, 1989. :)

OAP

Jayviator
15th Feb 2020, 11:46
Yes, I have about four sorties in 614, 1989. :)

OAP
That is awesome! might have been different throttles fitted back then, these ones were removed in 2017 I'm not sure how long certain equipment is replaced, i suppose if there are no faults it is left but maybe there is a certain amount of time when all equipment gets replaced even if there are no faults. I will put a list of all the aircraft serials i have with my parts and see if you have flown those aircraft,

Onceapilot
15th Feb 2020, 12:14
Well, that is the thing. The fleets were reworked many times. I think that most items were "pooled" when removed U/S. There was certainly in-service tracking of component history but, I imagine that is all lost.

OAP

NutLoose
16th Mar 2020, 16:07
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/milo-2232/m.html?item=402161580942&hash=item5da2b2bb8e%3Ag%3AFcoAAOSwqNdebUQr&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Jayviator
23rd May 2020, 13:40
Good work. I suggest you try to find the top coaming/glareshield panels. They are quite distinctive, were very important with all the functionality on them, including the red attention getter/cancel annunciator lights and the need to manipulate the Mass and Late arm switches during weaponry. On Nuttys pic in post #29, you can see how they look. Note that his pic shows the updated Mass switch without the loose key. That was a mod in about '90. Front w/shields didn't seem too expensive either?
Funny thing is, many of us will have flown bits of your collection! :ok: Cheers

OAP
You know you were saying how it would be good if I could find the coaming/glaresheild panels, well..... Ta-da!
Now the next big step will be to get it all correctly attached to the rudder assembly so I can finally get rid of the box, which, no matter what I add to it is always going to look silly!.
Would still like a genuine LH main instrument panel as well to replace the reproduction, but it is really starting to look like a Tornado cockpit now!
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49925679668_47a5c22628_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2j4Labu)Tornado GR1 cockpit 23.05.2020 (https://flic.kr/p/2j4Labu) by

NutLoose
23rd May 2020, 15:15
Excellent, really looks the business. That coaming really ties it all together.

NutLoose
23rd May 2020, 15:37
Expensive, but is this the rudder pedals?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panavia-Tornado-F3-Rudder-Pedal-Assembly-Rear-5/324150118351?hash=item4b78da47cf:g:-OoAAOSw3dReVm89

Jayviator
23rd May 2020, 18:39
Yep, I already have the pedals, what I need is a unit, im not sure what its proper name is but its like the main thing that sits on top of the rudder assembly that the main panels attach to and the PMD sits in and the HUD sits on top of, there was one on ebay a while ago (the same seller that you put a link to back in March) I didn't see that until after the auction so I don't know what it was a link to, but he had the rudders, the central unit and the left and right quarter panels, disappointingly he ended the listings for the centre unit and the left quarter panel (the one that houses the undercarriage lever, flaps/slats/wing position indicator and 3 position trim indicator) but i did manage to get the right quarter panel which I have now fully fitted out. I do have something that might do the job its not an exact copy of the unit but its not something that can be seen anyway but I need to make some brackets and possibly some extra supports at the back as it will be taking the weight of the PMD and the HUD which are both quite heavy.

NutLoose
23rd May 2020, 21:12
You mean this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZA367-Tornado-PMFD-Cooling-Fan-Plate-Assembly-NSN-4140-99-663-8239-Ex-MOD/392414615978?hash=item5b5dbbd9aa:g:VBcAAOSwPDBdW~X7

Jayviator
24th May 2020, 00:44
When i first saw that a while ago i thought it was what i needed but its something different, i'm not actually sure where this thing went, this is what I need. (the yellow thing)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/375x500/tornado_pmd_and_hud_bracket_052b81cf2c03dbd293a9b4406ac21072 be08a9c3.jpg

NutLoose
26th May 2020, 09:08
I will keep an eye open for one.

Ask these guys if they have a surplus one

https://twitter.com/tornadoza326?lang=en

Jayviator
16th Oct 2020, 18:48
Some updates to my project, I think the main panel is near on as complete as it will get, main changes are replaced the MDF repro LH main instrument panel with a genuine Tornado example, the HUD camera, one of the pushbuttons on the LH coaming/eyebrow panel was incorrect, it was a NXT TGT button (next target I think), it should be T.O.O (target of opportunity) and that is now correct. The orange lift dump indicator, I was using a spare indicator which just has black and white strips, but otherwise identical, i just stuck an orange sticker on the front and wrote OL on it, it looked OK from a distance! but that has now been replaced with thee correct item. I have fitted the HUD camera (it's missing the prism thing that slots in he gap in the HUD glass). I think the most striking change is not any nw item, it is the map display which I have found a way to make it illuminated, which gives the impression that it is operational.
Now I really need to construct a framework for it to all attach to, fit the rudder pedals and work on the side consoles, I may eventually add a windscreen as well.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50495238432_eae5b7decb_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2jW6iab)Tornado GR1 cockpit 16.10.2020 (https://flic.kr/p/2jW6iab) by Jason Evans (https://www.flickr.com/photos/145547634@N04/)

NutLoose
17th Oct 2020, 09:47
Superb mate.

Mechta
12th Nov 2020, 20:56
Jayviator, I was browsing Facebook Marketplace and saws this Tonka windscreen for sale. Naturally your project came to mind!

Tornado Windscreens on Facebook Marketplace (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1586627264842603)

He's got a couple of Tonka wings, a few (hopefully) dummy bombs and an unspecified engine. Oh there's an 18th Century cannon too, (may not be compatible with BK-27 mountings) and a yellow submarine...

deagles
13th Nov 2020, 17:29
Hey, it's great to see someone else sweating as he lays out the Tornado cockpit!! I headed the committee on the original MRCA cockpit at Warton in the early 1970s! My only pictures are of the early GR1 and regret I have no bits! But your build is looking good. Dave Eagles.

BVRAAM
13th Nov 2020, 18:11
Looking good bud!

Catch up soon.... it's been a while.

1Stacker
16th Dec 2020, 23:36
I wonder if your warning panel might be from the back seat?

I was coding a plug-in for X-Trident's Tornado GR.1 for the X-Plane 11 simulator and noticed that the lower portion of your panel has labels that are in the back seat of the simulator. I have some images of the front and back warning panels but can't post them until I've posted ten items so I'll post them at some point in the future.

My plan was to make a few physical instruments to make the simulator a bit easier and thought I would start with the warning panel as it is mostly LEDs. Would anyone know if there are any drawings with dimensions that I could use to make the instruments the correct size?

Jayviator
23rd Dec 2020, 20:25
Jayviator, I was browsing Facebook Marketplace and saws this Tonka windscreen for sale. Naturally your project came to mind!

Tornado Windscreens on Facebook Marketplace (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1586627264842603)

He's got a couple of Tonka wings, a few (hopefully) dummy bombs and an unspecified engine. Oh there's an 18th Century cannon too, (may not be compatible with BK-27 mountings) and a yellow submarine...
Cheers, I have toyed with thee idea of a windscreen, but if i do it will likely be the last part I get as I am more concerned with getting the "interior" done. I would also need to construct a rather sturdy structure to support it as I understand its rather heavy, carrying it up to my top story flat will be fun!

Jayviator
23rd Dec 2020, 20:31
I had one from the reear (was not awar there wa a difference when i got it, it was because the insides had been removed and a light which could be plugged into the mains was put inside why it appealed to me as its nice to see it illuminated. after i found out it was from the rear, there's only a slight difference, but I am fussy so had to get one from the front, which i did and i thought it would be quite easy to convert it like the other one so i could put a light in, but it turned out that was not the case as the insides are bloody hard to remove! plus some of the screws are botched so i cannot take it apart completely, also all the little captions came loose so now i have to replace them in the correct part, should have just made do with the original!

Jayviator
23rd Dec 2020, 20:35
Hey, it's great to see someone else sweating as he lays out the Tornado cockpit!! I headed the committee on the original MRCA cockpit at Warton in the early 1970s! My only pictures are of the early GR1 and regret I have no bits! But your build is looking good. Dave Eagles.
Thanks Dave, it is awesome to have you compliment my cockpit build.

Jayviator
23rd Dec 2020, 20:37
Looking good bud!

Catch up soon.... it's been a while.
Cheers mate

Jayviator
23rd Dec 2020, 20:38
Superb mate.
Thank you!

NutLoose
5th Apr 2021, 22:06
Jay, seen this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tornado-Cockpit-Setup/143996191950?_trkparms=aid%3D777001%26algo%3DDISCO.FEED%26ao %3D1%26asc%3D20200211172457%26meid%3Dd474094c9e41433697ff1cd a0a1b71a4%26pid%3D101213%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dnone%2 6itm%3D143996191950%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26alg v%3DRecommendingSearch%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c101213.m46344&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac8461066-965a-11eb-b47a-a2413f78ec42%7Cparentrq%3Aa410186f1780aaf591d21067ffc4b8f8%7 Ciid%3A1

check out his other bits too.

ctudge
10th May 2021, 08:50
Happy memories of working with Electronica back in the 70s. Germany decided to go their own way and bought a system from the US. I was working in the management agency in Munich at the time as the radar specialist and ended up with the Defensive Aids System too. Happy days.

1Stacker
10th May 2021, 15:49
The Central Warning Panel has a test switch with positions 1 and 2. Would anyone know what the difference in test 1 and 2 was?

frodo_monkey
10th May 2021, 21:00
The Central Warning Panel has a test switch with positions 1 and 2. Would anyone know what the difference in test 1 and 2 was?

Test 1 tested the bulbs and audio, test 2 from memory simulated certain conditions to set some of the warnings off; hence you couldn’t use Test 2 in flight because ambient temps might hard-latch a warning on. That’s my hazy memory from a few years back anyway.

1Stacker
10th May 2021, 22:03
Test 1 tested the bulbs and audio, test 2 from memory simulated certain conditions to set some of the warnings off; hence you couldn’t use Test 2 in flight because ambient temps might hard-latch a warning on. That’s my hazy memory from a few years back anyway.

Thank you. I'm making some fake instruments for a flight sim and wondered what logic to apply to the two test modes. I can't post any pictures yet as this is my third post and I need ten to be able to post pictures but when I have the CWP more functional I'll put some up.

1Stacker
6th Aug 2021, 10:29
How is your build coming on? I've bought a few cheap bits but some of the bits on ebay are getting expensive.

IamSpartacus
7th Aug 2021, 15:02
How is your build coming on? I've bought a few cheap bits but some of the bits on ebay are getting expensive.
Quite s lot of success in the last month or so. Found a German eBayer supplying DZUS rail at a decent price. Far far cheaper than some aircraft grade stuff I bought years ago. Now have all side panels from front and rear seats neay laid out. Was also able to cheaply buy a HUD body Nd control panel separately. The HUD body doesn't have the frame for the holographic glass ... But that's not a prob as I don't need the glass. I'll 3D print up the frame. Will post some snaps tomorrow.

NutLoose
7th Aug 2021, 16:16
There is some head up display glasses on eBay, see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324379009820?hash=item4b867ee31c:g:MK4AAOSwB8BftRXU

1Stacker
11th Aug 2021, 20:56
Quite s lot of success in the last month or so. Found a German eBayer supplying DZUS rail at a decent price. Far far cheaper than some aircraft grade stuff I bought years ago. Now have all side panels from front and rear seats neay laid out. Was also able to cheaply buy a HUD body Nd control panel separately. The HUD body doesn't have the frame for the holographic glass ... But that's not a prob as I don't need the glass. I'll 3D print up the frame. Will post some snaps tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. If anyone has a closeup of the engine start panel (above the throttles) I'd write like to see it as I'm just finishing that now and need to know what kind of lamps the RUN and CANCEL lights are.

Is DZUS rail a standard size? Would you know the distance between centres that the Tornado uses if not as I might be able to use that to determine the size of some of the panels in the sides.

I'm making a cockpit for the X-Plane 11 simulator, I've finished the Combined Surfaces Indicator (except for the lighting) and have nearly finished the engine start panel and have the CWP, Fuel gauge and V/UHF radio in various stages of manufacture.

When I have ten posts I can put some pictures up.

1Stacker
7th Oct 2021, 15:41
Would anyone know why the engine gauges have numbers stuck on the glass? It seems quite common on the RPM and temp gauge.

NutLoose
7th Oct 2021, 16:23
It might be a modified aircraft with a revised limit at a guess.

Timelord
7th Oct 2021, 17:10
I’m not sure I ever understood it, let alone remember it but all aircraft Had these figures on the glass, and it is to do with tolerances on engine test figures. They enabled the pilot to check that the engine was functioning within limits prior to take off, and the limits were different on each engine according to calibrated figures.

Lima Juliet
7th Oct 2021, 18:17
Placarded figures from the last Engine Ground Run (EGR) that shows the crews whether the engine is performing as it should (within the placarded limits). There was also a time when we used to have to run and write down the engine figures before take off to allow close monitoring of the engine performance in the mid-90s when engines were alarmingly going catastrophically ‘bang’ from time to time! :eek:

1Stacker
7th Oct 2021, 21:37
Thanks NutLoose Timelord Lima Juliet . I couldn't recall ever seeing those in the 80's but most of the secondhand examples have them now.

NutLoose
7th Oct 2021, 21:56
There was also a time when we used to have to run and write down the engine figures before take off to allow close monitoring of the engine performance in the mid-90s when engines were alarmingly going catastrophically ‘bang’ from time to time!

VC10 used to have trend logs as they were the first indication of things going wrong

Jayviator
20th Nov 2022, 10:55
It has been a while since I have posted any updates on my project, truth is it's getting really hard toi find the last few things I need to complete it, but I have made some small changes, only the keen eye will notice.
I have now got all the correct buttons for the HUMS (head up mode selector) box which has the autopilot controls. I was missing the THROT button which was the autothrottle control, there was just a NEXT TGT button in it's place, so that's now been fixed. also the TF (terrain following) has been swapped, the one I had was for Tornado GR4 and just looked like a blank button, only if I shine a light on it you could see it said TF, i think that was for NVG, used in GR$ version, as my cockpit is supposed top represent a GR1 I managed to swap it for a GR1 version which the TF caption is visible.
The most obvious addition is the HUD camera periscope which fits in the cut out in the HUD glass, that was a bit of a tricky thing to fit, I had to remove the glass from the HUD.
There are a couple of non genuine parts but they are quite in obscure so not worried about that, one is the mount for the MASS, I was unaware it had a mount until I saw someone had made some reproductions. and finally my HUD was missing the round bit of glass which has a green colour so i just got a disk of green acrylic cut to size and it slotted into place it looks OK, better than having nothing.
There's not really much more I can do with the main instrument panel, There are 2 buttons I would like to replace with the correct ones but I have never seen any. I don't even know what those buttons were for so I cannot search for them. I also need a pedal adjust knob it looks like I may have to go down the replica route with that but I can live with that.
Really now my main task is to built a structure to support it all so I can put the rudder pedal assembly in place and finally get rid of the cardboard box its all supported on, it will look 100 times better then. And then I can work on the side consoles and getting the quarter panels in place.
https://flic.kr/p/2o1k8fB

1Stacker
21st Nov 2022, 22:20
That's looking really good. It is getting difficult to find parts now and they seem much more expensive than they were even for some 'replica' bits.

EXDAC
22nd Nov 2022, 01:53
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I never knew the full panel but I was quite familiar with the RPMD and the CRPMD. As an assistant engineer fresh out of Uni I accepted the A models for the EASAMS test rig and ran the integrated system tests. That film transport mechanism was a mechanical delight!

NutLoose
22nd Nov 2022, 02:34
Looking exceptional, btw don’t open the link below..it can seriously damage your wallet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155263016499?hash=item2426659e33:g:OgMAAOSwSTRi6vuF&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoLlXylGspkSiIF0EORp3v5%2Fm8vdfau51600mK eERDNxXMHjz4v%2FsN6CxXVRR518WOYLiJNnQnQF%2BJEUdmSJK0aq6rtT56 %2BycgyuLTKdX8%2BYEfehQJruQj3yYqT%2BMClpN9PGr%2FrXvIf1ekXex6 MeTKC%2FemKlyb9wlH2Ma1dMb70Xwt%2Bu1FDoB7zb%2FviCc5xMlng5dOCM 5by7o2E%2FiiLooQ%2BE%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-7Bm9aTYQ

1Stacker
22nd Nov 2022, 08:49
Javiator This is the CWP I made from your dimensions.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x839/img_2757_039e3edb75b60bb4b076251ad01c9187f9d4d3fa.jpg

1Stacker
4th Apr 2023, 15:17
Would anyone know if the pilot's moving map is the same size and layout as the Harrier version?

NutLoose
4th Apr 2023, 15:51
Looking good Stacker, sorry cannot answer your questions, see what you mean price wise

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125787006554?hash=item1d497d665a:g:S3QAAOSwpG1j910Q&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4BCfPBZCxIFCZ8qQZO6LkHYDfU5thJIMpoIoMR2 %2BIJ5UxRBqZ3aNMMHfJ86iQSYpbA9JlYRRWjYgkTrFGoBcjmrdnr6g0VBs0 4EFih8xlQbMNsohwPSHwwpCoBZo9RKJ57S%2BCFFkzE94blM7%2B1wBXbnWI Vr5IXys8W89lL4gMgS86Nh7hK3nAaMPLUe5SEwK5WX5G0XIYlyWfsWuYqqaw uWAwhOTQ39lUps6qHUVyyaVV%2FZF8H0CHU7A9CZMuAE11TwNf%2FBMnRX%2 B%2F3Go11lMeM4LEOnGpjZVmqrzA0ibHHef%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4z2os_pYQ

NutLoose
4th Apr 2023, 15:59
Would anyone know if the pilot's moving map is the same size and layout as the Harrier version?

It looks the same as the one he has in his Tornado, see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185644301710?hash=item2b39433d8e:g:WCsAAOSwt-xjZNsk&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4GjXqsIcg%2BuRxjHwlonyTkQbSAtf3rosScnn4 3rRzfF2FSUjrGkdf6o1M9PNVlbE6b8DP%2F35QScpDnCcmTfRxWM21M9iWC% 2F%2FIdFft8%2FJ2pz19VxadN%2FIi4pGts7TWOFROS6C0aBVw18eCq%2BeI 0pVsldzlB34qoyG0Tbz6%2FtgUvKc7%2FjgRBHCB7iyLqdqj2o9IhrSYih3W FI5TC%2BvF2s0ncPF%2BOQ%2B%2FivVgpx8R6lD%2Bjjj5%2FoJvGXUxVlXC cdl%2FOnqmvC58T5UA9YAPpR%2BiHAk8nRSx4qQYA9kYzhXVKnenUbV%7Ctk p%3ABk9SR5CO2s_pYQ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185635598581?hash=item2b38be70f5:g:lhQAAOSwNwJjW8xf&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwNAbBx4kZcZa2QRjInyRb1q6RcWrS4dHh2d6HJS dfaBunbM%2BQK%2BrjMCIFTkwlHB15oIk1mg0h8dATDL6TpUrg5G3mXVjbnL hl20WkZqiSWGJ8MISOZk9XSLDu%2FmYzRjRfxEJWg1uYKxXCdGurvkOxuJH1 c9LGsqaWAA5gvBulEuUjbzvCEBpxpiawopG5pySlCHbMAFzwMYOoLSQRhmEB odSBpUnmVRaRNf%2BcFDWNi911T%2BgBsOpHHPyBcKWstgrQw%3D%3D%7Ctk p%3ABk9SR5CO2s_pYQ

This harrier one looks totally different

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185727528721?hash=item2b3e392f11:g:EpMAAOSw5GpjuEmk&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4OJBgwKWO7AyC%2B0KO8pfXJfxi6mg45TWdiA1a fiu3%2BVNkZqfNwjmIqpsn%2B9CtTllSI539c0JUr4TO%2B%2FI3clF2Xu5c ok24%2B1MlgZ%2FGyXakVhAS9ySRCc54S%2FKFI5AE73aqUfV6AGR00XTRmd CYxppR03B4dpt8qEn1MTfvc7apn2XjaculsWpkqm4o47yQqioBF3F36EXbRR houNh2XCdwDOc%2BVYodEqXUjnFyB8Ms2zM4xjS%2FEGzpT5b9qQdlH9cZJp zISh%2BdmWjfEb5d99eC9dTdNZNolySSAhElcBFVb3n%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5CO 2s_pYQ

1Stacker
4th Apr 2023, 16:02
It looks the same as the one he has in his Tornado, see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185644301710?hash=item2b39433d8e:g:WCsAAOSwt-xjZNsk&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4GjXqsIcg%2BuRxjHwlonyTkQbSAtf3rosScnn4 3rRzfF2FSUjrGkdf6o1M9PNVlbE6b8DP%2F35QScpDnCcmTfRxWM21M9iWC% 2F%2FIdFft8%2FJ2pz19VxadN%2FIi4pGts7TWOFROS6C0aBVw18eCq%2BeI 0pVsldzlB34qoyG0Tbz6%2FtgUvKc7%2FjgRBHCB7iyLqdqj2o9IhrSYih3W FI5TC%2BvF2s0ncPF%2BOQ%2B%2FivVgpx8R6lD%2Bjjj5%2FoJvGXUxVlXC cdl%2FOnqmvC58T5UA9YAPpR%2BiHAk8nRSx4qQYA9kYzhXVKnenUbV%7Ctk p%3ABk9SR5CO2s_pYQ

Thanks NutLoose . I was wondering if I could buy that very one and use it to get the dimensions to make a Tornado version.

bonajet
5th Apr 2023, 01:18
FYI The Harrier one is from a first gen aircraft and is analogue with a 35mm film strip system. The other two look more modern and digital. I don’t have personal knowledge of the Tornado set up but I wouldn’t try and bodge the Harrier one.

Zar_1
17th Apr 2023, 08:57
If you need help with any kind of electricals/electronics/software implementation, I do know a fair bit of Arduino/Raspi stuff...

Speedywheels
17th Apr 2023, 11:18
FYI The Harrier one is from a first gen aircraft and is analogue with a 35mm film strip system. The other two look more modern and digital. I don’t have personal knowledge of the Tornado set up but I wouldn’t try and bodge the Harrier one.

I would agree not to try and modify the Harrier unit. It would be better to wait until you can find the correct PMD, which, as you probably already know, was an analogue item using film for the map display.

212man
17th Apr 2023, 17:00
Also film

Has Map Film Inside And Reel Holder Rotates And Moves As Should Do.

Jayviator
10th May 2023, 19:08
Javiator This is the CWP I made from your dimensions.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x839/img_2757_039e3edb75b60bb4b076251ad01c9187f9d4d3fa.jpg
Apologies for the late reply, I dont seem to be getting notifications that I have had any comments, looks like you id a good job with that, glad my measurements were of use to you.

Jayviator
11th May 2023, 11:22
No changes to the main instrument panel but I have fitted the side console controls into their correct positions temporarily supported on boxes until I can make some kind of more permanent structure to house them . It makes the cokpit feel more complete having the side consoles. The 2 black coloured units on the RH console look a bit outr of place with everything else being some shade of grey but they are correct for the mod state during the Gulf war which is what i am trying to represent with my cockpit.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52888150868_a5b2202124_b.jpgTornado cockpit 06.05.2023 by Jason Evans, on Flickr
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52887672534_3b87ed2a43_b.jpgTornado GR1 RH side console by Jason Evans, on Flickr
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52887950888_c3cc15690d_b.jpgTornado GR1 cockpit LH side console & throttle box by Jason Evans, on Flickr

NutLoose
11th May 2023, 12:43
Seen these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143871013896?hash=item217f617408:g:eMYAAOSwj0tfyQZk&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Ex7wx9%2BNSt63STxnznAfvftuDfD1v02oaIYF N0iLCbMOkidqJ7Mo%2FvaAjd6lnCVkmtT0V8RB1UyaE0TnS4p7BhvkrFdvk2 bbP%2B9xni5F3IxgArTjcxSwkkJEwegWgPAnOeHjAHGoXlvud3O9m76k6UzT %2F66NXastk4z1zW7uRuCb3KEKVlx9qqgxuY3s2dRRazos9aNwLAubKXe8f6 CNYFPjJ1PYIrAJ8wFQFo9SJCLo3m4PgsDWOjn6yJT6QhviSifOEouTuCpg%2 FPxNeZ3w5gi9SSXt1F%2BS6PDUEIEGfif%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_bJj6yBYg

Jayviator
11th May 2023, 22:23
Seen these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143871013896?hash=item217f617408:g:eMYAAOSwj0tfyQZk&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Ex7wx9%2BNSt63STxnznAfvftuDfD1v02oaIYF N0iLCbMOkidqJ7Mo%2FvaAjd6lnCVkmtT0V8RB1UyaE0TnS4p7BhvkrFdvk2 bbP%2B9xni5F3IxgArTjcxSwkkJEwegWgPAnOeHjAHGoXlvud3O9m76k6UzT %2F66NXastk4z1zW7uRuCb3KEKVlx9qqgxuY3s2dRRazos9aNwLAubKXe8f6 CNYFPjJ1PYIrAJ8wFQFo9SJCLo3m4PgsDWOjn6yJT6QhviSifOEouTuCpg%2 FPxNeZ3w5gi9SSXt1F%2BS6PDUEIEGfif%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_bJj6yBYg
Yeah, they are reproductions which I would accept but the colour is completely wrong, as is the font style I know someone who might be able to make a more accurate set.

Jayviator
11th May 2023, 22:41
Excuse the duplicate images I thought i knew how to stop that from happening but it's not working.

1Stacker
11th May 2023, 22:53
Nearly finished the replica Fuel Panel:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x1365/img_3188_63c9f2d4fea0e061f2b83ab16e9d6ba52b875dd8.jpeg

Jayviator
12th May 2023, 00:00
Nearly finished the replica Fuel Panel:

Looks really good.

m0nkfish
12th May 2023, 08:57
Looks really good.

That relatively straight forward looking panel could get you into a lot of trouble!! :8

1Stacker
16th May 2023, 16:02
That relatively straight forward looking panel could get you into a lot of trouble!! :8

I only know what a few of the switches do and the sim I'm using doesn't implement all of them, so I can't use the ones that might be dangerous. However, as my code is basically a plugin within the sim I can add behaviour to the un-implemented switches and have been trying to do that with other panels.

On this one I believe that no fuel is dumped unless the Master Dump is open, the sim doesn't implement that switch and dumps as soon as the front or rear dump value is open. If I find that it does need the Master dump to be open I can ensure that I don't send the value to the sim until both switches are open.

Be careful, if you admit that you know how this panel works I might pester you for info ;-)

1Stacker
17th May 2023, 21:27
Yeah, they are reproductions which I would accept but the colour is completely wrong, as is the font style I know someone who might be able to make a more accurate set.

If that's me I'd happily have a go. Would need dimensions and maybe photos to get a closer font.

HappyFool
17th May 2023, 23:07
Really long time lurker, this is the first thread that’s actually made me want to reply enough for me to sign up here!

Just wanted to say that this is an amazing project and I really admire your effort / will / dedication. Keep at it!

Jayviator
24th Sep 2023, 09:48
Exciting update on my project, I have taken it to the next level now, since I was able to acquire the most important part, which is something that is not visible once its all put together, but without it it can't be put together! It's not an original part but it does the job so now for the first time I can show the cockpit attached to the rudder pedal assembly and no longer being supported by a cardboard box!
There is still more to do, such as needing to build a base that the entire structure will sit on, as it needs to be raised of floor level so that the control column will be at the correct height, then I need to construct the housing for the side consoles.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53209761269_b14078a59e_b.jpgControl column attached to rudder pedal assembly by Jason Evans

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53209899630_d5c2fcf541_b.jpgTornado cockpit project next phase empty RH panel by Jason Evans

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53209760689_9794c1d0bf_b.jpgTornado cockpit main insrument panel fully assembled 23.09.23 by Jason Evans

Jayviator
24th Sep 2023, 09:51
Again, sorry for the duplicate images I cant remember how to post them just showing single images.

NutLoose
24th Sep 2023, 17:40
Excellent news.

212man
25th Sep 2023, 12:45
Did you see this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155778345813?hash=item24451ceb55:g:Zb4AAOSwDLdkmaxC&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8O1PIYIL1bOkYyAemo%2FKPhfPwZVrD%2F9ij93 uAEQv8xrJyU6gSpYL9vTSX1PM3pRWIZ1XQ1sTmLT1Vgg3pVVric7wySAbm2w 9oCIKdMiSUEup4kXLbeEWLPNa8K4B9%2Fj%2FTCWS4mYEB6F4yL2rQ5gGjkM AwJiMwEDpcR1b7k5wDcd6FQk5e3W%2Bl%2B6wrP21tOg9MEfmCPxjZyI%2BE 8LckkH9rTzIUH2vSlMiAjHq9ASA%2FzQz19czpmdwye%2BAwYD0%2FdXOGKC yq3MqNQqAM4M1eiUBHfNqi%2B1IM42PZHNLEOwbcXHldN7xVfI2%2Fk0DPbl KSDTJ2Q%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7rWoorXYg

MarkJayne73
29th Jan 2024, 09:35
Great job, Jason 👍🏼