PDA

View Full Version : Air North Engine in flight shutdown

SICKorSKI
8th Jun 2018, 08:32
https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/engine-shut-down-forces-airnorth-plane-to-turn-around-as-engine-shuts-down-a-big-bang/news-story/69f8514576c736e5762e6baa1c5a645dNT news story on E170 engine in flight shut down today

barbados sky
8th Jun 2018, 12:38
So that's only 2x serviceable EMB170s? 2 parked with 0 engines, 1 with only 1 engine and 2 with 2 engines. 50% engine unserviceability. With the Metros parked as well and the Bras fleet under utilised, times must be a bit tough for TL. Alliance will be doing well though.

Slippery_Pete
8th Jun 2018, 13:19
In my experience, when airlines have that many aircraft sitting around unserviceable, the fat lady isn’t far away.

I hope for the crew’s sake I’m wrong.

krismiler
8th Jun 2018, 18:26
It’s a downward spiral when aircraft are grounded and unable to generate the income required to pay for repairs to get them back in the air. A real catch 22 situation

red_dirt
9th Jun 2018, 07:22
Flight Radar shows this as VH-ANV. This is the aircraft that had the 300hr extension on it's engine. Surely CASA should be looking into this operation?

Why????????

LostProperty
9th Jun 2018, 07:36
So that's only 2x serviceable EMB170s? 2 parked with 0 engines, 1 with only 1 engine and 2 with 2 engines. 50% engine unserviceability. With the Metros parked as well and the Bras fleet under utilised, times must be a bit tough for TL. Alliance will be doing well though.

One of those two 170s is based in Toowoomba where it does the flights to MEL as well as the TWB - CNS services. So that now leaves only one EJet to do the WA flights, Dili, Townsville and DRW - CNS. Something's got to give there pretty soon. Also, since ANT has been grounded, the Toowoomba aircraft has been doing Toowoomba - Cairns - Groote - Cairns - Toowoomba every Thursday after it does a WTB - MEL rotation in the morning.

SpyderPig
9th Jun 2018, 11:01
SWO about to head back to the lessor I believe. Be scrambling to extend that I imagine. Guess that 190 they were talking about can’t come soon enough lol

LostProperty
10th Jun 2018, 06:02
Dont they have 5 Ejets? ANT ANV SWO ANF ANO

Yep. Availability not quite as bad as portrayed yesterday. Three frames have flown today: ANF, SWO, ANO

Correction: ANV is also flying today. Four out five is encouraging.

theozguru
11th Jun 2018, 05:36
There are a lot of jet operators in Australia which are struggling with engines at the moment.

30/30 Green Light
21st Jun 2018, 08:42
Sources reporting another one today!

Horatio Leafblower
21st Jun 2018, 12:37
There are a lot of jet operators in Australia which are struggling with engines at the moment.

I believe there is a supply problem at Honeywell that will ground all the Conquests in Australia too.

megle2
21st Jun 2018, 21:04
That would be a big ouch, what part / unit is in supply crisis

TBM-Legend
21st Jun 2018, 22:08
I believe there is a supply problem at Honeywell that will ground all the Conquests in Australia too.

would that be for the Dash 8 engine or the Dash 10 engines. They're different.

LostProperty
27th Jun 2018, 23:59
I see that Air North has become a client of Australia's goto airline Alliance with F100 VH-FKD operating today's DRW - GOV - CNS rotation as ANO160.

Duck Pilot
28th Jun 2018, 10:20
Where are Alliance flying the F100s to out of Darwin?

Also noticed a Network (Virgin) F100 parked up during the wee hours on Friday morning, never seen one up here before - where are they operating to and from?

Icarus2001
28th Jun 2018, 10:45
Did you read the post above yours?

What is a “Network (Virgin) F100”?

Duck Pilot
28th Jun 2018, 12:13
Yes I did!! Today's????

And there was an Alliance F100 parked on the ramp a few months ago, only asking the question????

Yes, there was a F100 that had Virgin painted on the tail at Darwin Airport at about 1230 am last Friday morning, I saw it with my own EYES.

I'm not up with the current who's doing what in Australia, hence the stupid question. Obviously stupid questions from stupid plebs like me aren't allowed on this forum....................................................... .................

Tankengine
28th Jun 2018, 21:16
Where are Alliance flying the F100s to out of Darwin?

Also noticed a Network (Virgin) F100 parked up during the wee hours on Friday morning, never seen one up here before - where are they operating to and from?

I think you will find the confusion is that Network is owned by Qantas, not Virgin.
No idea about Virgin F100s.

Going Nowhere
28th Jun 2018, 23:36
The F100's do DRW-ASP-ADL and return.

Lapon
29th Jun 2018, 00:00
The Virgin F100s you see belong to Skywest/VARA and operate the run Going Nowhere mentions.

I believe the Alliance F100 operates their own mining contract that 'apparently' Air North had been doing on thier behalf until more recently. I believe the aircraft is based up there, but not the crew who are merely flown in to operate it from their existing bases.

Duck Pilot
29th Jun 2018, 04:45
Thankyou!!!!

GA Driver
2nd Jul 2018, 10:00
Whats the issue with the place? Usual T+C like everywhere else in the world nowadays? From the outside in, it looked a reasonably good place to work. The people I know who did work there said it was great, albeit a few years ago now (Pre-ejet!)

Bad coffee
8th Jul 2018, 05:19
I can help you with that GA Driver.

The previous owners decided to sell the business. So to make the books look more attractive they cut back on spending wherever possible. Bristow has bought the business and soon realised they paid too much. Since then Bristow hasn’t got the cheque book out for many things and have managed to alienate the part of the upper management, including multiple HOTCs. As far as T&Cs, pilots are still on the EBA that expired (in 2008?) I believe.

The backbone of the company are the staff who go above and beyond to keep the place running. They see little to no $$ for these efforts other than knowing that if they keep the aircraft flying they’ll still have a job tomorrow.

topend3
9th Jul 2018, 13:56
They’ve just put out the advert for another victim but this time the job has been renamed “Fleet Manager Jets”

red_dirt
10th Jul 2018, 00:06
**** you people whinge a lot about every airline.

go start one ya self

WannaBeBiggles
10th Jul 2018, 05:55
They’ve just put out the advert for another victim but this time the job has been renamed “Fleet Manager Jets”

Different job.

barbados sky
10th Jul 2018, 15:22
Red Dirt

**** you people whinge a lot about every airline.

go start one ya self

No thanks, not unless I could see another Bristow coming over the horizon with money burning holes in its pockets as in 2015! I bet old Bridgey could hardly believe his luck.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, this is interesting from a blend of press coverage in 2015:

Airnorth has sold an 85 per cent stake in the northern Australia's largest aviation operator to Bristow Helicopters Australia. The helicopter service company, whose parent is United States-based Bristow Group, announced on Friday it had acquired 85 per cent of Capiteq Ltd, which trades as Airnorth, for a cash sum of $30.3 million, with a possible earn out consideration of $17 million over three years if it hits financial targets. Airnorth has a fleet of 13 aircraft and also flies internationally to Timor-Leste and the Philippines.

“Many of our global clients are requesting a fully integrated passenger service, including travel services, as they seek to refocus on their core business,” said Allan Blake, director of Bristow’s Australia Business Unit. “Recent tenders in Australia have requested fixed-wing services, including arranging travel through Bristow Travel (Australia). The potential exists to reduce client costs associated with travel, accommodation and passenger logistics, by providing fixed-wing plus helicopter solutions to our oil and gas clients.”

Fast forward to today:

Much of the TL fleet parked due pilot shortage or engine problems. TL losing money according to the Bristow 10Q issued in June. Bristow Australia also in financial trouble according to the same 10Q as it continues to lose work to competitors in spite of having an apparent competitive edge in tenders according to the now departed with bonus, Mr Blake.

havick
10th Jul 2018, 17:11
Bristow Australia are making a large amount of their helicopter pilots redundant. Allegedly they’re a basket case going by what some of the pilots made redundant have told me.

longlegs
10th Jul 2018, 23:41
[QUOTE=barbados sky;10193479]Red Dirt

.................TL losing money according to the Bristow 10Q issued in June..............

10-K Annual Filing to UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
May 23, 2018

"Airnorth contributed $7.2 million and $7.1 million in adjusted EBITDA in fiscal years 2018 and 2017, respectively."

industry insider
11th Jul 2018, 03:53
Legs

I think the Bajan was referring to the 10Q not the 10K

Airnorth contributed $17.2 million in operating revenue for both the March 2018 and 2017 quarters, and a negative $1.4 million and a negative $0.7 million in adjusted EBITDA for the March 2018 and 2017 quarters,

HILFIGER-TOMMY
11th Jul 2018, 08:18
Legs

I think the Bajan was referring to the 10Q not the 10K

Airnorth contributed $17.2 million in operating revenue for both the March 2018 and 2017 quarters, and a negative $1.4 million and a negative $0.7 million in adjusted EBITDA for the March 2018 and 2017 quarters,

Busy paying Hardy's for conquis and metros to do their metro flights .