PDA

View Full Version : Australian AFC stops powered flight training

tartare
8th Jun 2018, 00:46
Our household's resident intended future knucklehead told me last night at the dinner table that his beloved Orstrayan air force cadets have rather abruptly put a stop to all powered flying training.
He says it's due to elfnsafety concerns.
I wonder if it's more about the dolleros.
I can't find any reference to it on their website - does anyone know if this is correct?
I hope not.

TBM-Legend
8th Jun 2018, 01:41
A disgrace if this is truly the situation. Two paces forward and three back!

MPN11
8th Jun 2018, 02:13
Flying is indubitably hazardous, so its about time someone put a stop to it ;)

TBM-Legend
8th Jun 2018, 03:13
Now for the real story from the horses mouth:

"​​​​​​It is on hold at present as a Risk Management exercise. Air Force has deemed it legally wrong to be utilizing assets owned by an Incorporated Body, for example the 2 Wing School of Aviation.

The RAAF is proceeding with the leasing of Powered four seater trainer aircraft."

tartare
8th Jun 2018, 03:39
Ahhh - that is not quite as permanent as I was initially led to believe.
TBM - any insight into what they might be looking at?
The gliders are top notch - the lad loves flying them.
Bit of concern about the replacement 210hp Pawnees tho - not enough grunt to get quickly off certain runways apparently.

Mechta
9th Jun 2018, 09:04
You've not by any chance had any recent immigrants arrive from RAF Syerston and start doing what they do best, have you? :E

tartare
9th Jun 2018, 09:15
Sorry Mechta - that one's lost on me?

Mechta
9th Jun 2018, 09:27
tartare, RAF Syerston is home to No.2 Flying Training School, which has been at the reins of the unholy cock up which is Air Cadet gliding and power flying in the UK (or rather, the lack of). What was advertised as a brief pause in 2014, has now dragged on for years. Only now are cadets starting to get back in the air, at a vastly reduced number of sites, with fewer aircraft (including loss of the entire motor glider fleet) and most of the experienced volunteer staff lost.

If you have a few weeks spare, you can read the thread on it here: Air Cadets Grounded? (https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/538497-air-cadets-grounded.html)

BEagle
9th Jun 2018, 09:54
Mechta, no doubt you're as surprised as I was not to see PTFN featuring in the Queen's Birthday Honours List.....:hmm:

Mechta
9th Jun 2018, 10:21
Mechta, no doubt you're as surprised as I was not to see PTFN featuring in the Queen's Birthday Honours List.....:hmm:

For services to the generation of vacant brownfield real estate? :}

tartare
9th Jun 2018, 12:21
Holy heck Mechta - that is not a good story at all.
Lad made a comment last night along those lines "Bleedin' air-force; it'll take them ages to do anything..."
We hope not.
The Chinese Communist party are getting more aggressive by the day down here, and our young warriors need to be ready when the balloon goes up!

DC10RealMan
9th Jun 2018, 12:28
Are you saying that Middleton hasn't got a Knighthood?

Do they not know who he is and how great he is?

Surely some mistake?