PDA

View Full Version : Security Risk - Duty Free store copies passport

Seabreeze
6th Jun 2018, 22:59
The people manning the cash registers at Sydney International Duty Free want to copy passports. They say this is due to new legislation. I tell them that is BS, and that I will not even show them my passport, and they let me pay anyway and walk off with my grog, but most pax do not query or refuse.

No doubt the details will be on-sold. This constitutes an incredibly high security risk to identity theft. Have discussed this with many, and no-one I know disagrees!

Seabreeze

DirectAnywhere
7th Jun 2018, 04:58
Yeah, like you, I refuse. Usually ends up in an argument. I've only had one manager refuse to sell me stuff so I shrugged my shoulders and walked off.

Heinemann are a bunch of thieves anyway. I've found their booze is up to 50% more than I can get it for elsewhere and they don't do crew discounts on anything that's already "reduced", like multipacks. I was looking for some perfume for my mum. Found it at my local pharmacist for half what they were charging. I avoid them like herpes and have suggested friends and even some passengers do the same.

Told pax the red they were buying would be cheaper at their local liquor store.

Would suggest all crew avoid and buy anywhere else on the planet.

Bleve
7th Jun 2018, 05:19
You do not have to hand passport over for viewing/scanning in order to purchase at Heinemann Duty Free Sydney, despite what the employee says. You only need to give ID number and Flight number for purchase. There is a document, far, far away from registers that explains this. The staff do not make this information available to customers.

The 'requirement' for the passport is only due to a mutually negotiated deal between Heinemann and Sydney Airport Corp. Data collected from your passport goes to owners in Germany and affiliates in Singapore amongst others. It is simply Heinemann making money from data mining your personal information.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
7th Jun 2018, 05:31
Similar demand at one of the money exchange outlets, we need to photocopy your passport or we cannot do the transaction.

neville_nobody
7th Jun 2018, 05:33
Duty Free (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Licensing/Documents/duty-free-operator-guide2017.PDF#search=duty%20free%20shop)

It says you only need to present a ticket or boarding pass + passport. Does not mention about retaining any of that, just proof you are travelling internationally. Any wannabe lawyers can wade through the Customs Act the answer will be there somewhere.

aussietomcat
7th Jun 2018, 05:56
The people manning the cash registers at Sydney International Duty Free want to copy passports. They say this is due to new legislation. I tell them that is BS, and that I will not even show them my passport, and they let me pay anyway and walk off with my grog, but most pax do not query or refuse.

No doubt the details will be on-sold. This constitutes an incredibly high security risk to identity theft. Have discussed this with many, and no-one I know disagrees!

Seabreeze
You should have called the police officers who normally walk around the terminal and bring it to their attention.

Capt Fathom
7th Jun 2018, 06:01
just proof you are travelling internationally

So if you have already passed through the Immigration Channels to get to the Duty Free Shop, you must be travelling internationally? :confused:

Bleve
7th Jun 2018, 06:06
Similar demand at one of the money exchange outlets, we need to photocopy your passport or we cannot do the transaction.

Two things I will never do at an Australian Airport: Buy duty free and exchange money. You will get a significantly better deal just about anywhere else. Australia: Land of the Great Consumer Rip-Off.

neville_nobody
7th Jun 2018, 06:15
So if you have already passed through the Immigration Channels to get to the Duty Free Shop, you must be travelling internationally?

It says the duty free shop has to sight your travel documentation which they then put on your receipt. Just being airside doesn't count.

Rated De
7th Jun 2018, 06:52
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/sydney-airport-is-rolling-out-facial-recognition-technology-even-as-its-use-is-still-being-debated-in-parliament-2018-6

Orwellian dystopia thanks to Sydney airport, where a private monopoly mines personal data (including images) while Parliament still debates the matter...

Just wait until CT scans start dosing pilots daily with additional radiation, all in the name of 'safety and 'security'

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

Lantern10
7th Jun 2018, 06:58
Whenever I walk through duty free, it's eyes straight ahead and hands firmly in pockets.