PDA

View Full Version : Which magenta line to follow?

rans6andrew
6th Jun 2018, 16:49
In my small aeroplane I usually carry a Garmin Aera 500 and an Airspace Aware.

The Airspace Aware has a non upgrading UK map overlaid by a free to upgrade set of airspace restrictions which give a helpful warning a little bit before you bust anything that gets officialdom excited. The unit was cheap, cheerful and a bit clunky but has been very helpful. The airspace warnings work over some of Europe despite the mapping only being UK, I know they were still helping out all the way into Spain.

The Aera 500 is a fully fledged navigation aid. State of the art in 2010. It has much of Europe covered by its mapping and gives warnings for terrain and obstacles. The mapping, obstacles and terrain databases are separately upgradable. The maps can be updated periodically, up to 12 times a year, at a cost of about £30 a go. It has a built in database of airfields with their pertinent information including the radio frequencies used. The unit is robust and well designed for its purpose. It fits onto a secure mount and mates with 18 gold spring contacts in substantial bracket. It will stand being dropped into wet grass and chucked into a kitbag with my headphones etc. It has never failed to work perfectly. It is also protected from ingesting any viruses.

With the advent of 8.33kHz radios the validity of the frequencies at UK airfields has become useless, they are changing at a faster rate than I can justify buying the updates. In addition to this I have just been reminded that the map data in my unit is dated September 2017 and is due for a refresh, the European obstacles database is from 2011. I am always "should I, shouldn't I?" with the obstacles as I am not in the habit of low flying and, being VFR only, can usually see any obstacles that might affect what I want to do. The terrain doesn't change enough to worry about!

Things have moved on a bit.

I have been mulling over binning one or both of my Nav aids in favour of going down the SkyDemon route. The obvious benefits of SkyDemon are more frequent database updates, the capacity to do flight plans and GAR submissions when intending going over the water, some measure of inflight info reception (depending upon which device I choose to run the software on) and the option to use a Pilot Aware to put flying traffic collision dangers onto the moving map display. The first of several downsides is the subscription cost for the software. It is expensive compared to the single annual Garmin update I do but cheap compared to the more frequent Garmin update I probably ought to do. To use SkyDemon I will probably need to buy a new tablet and some mounting hardware. I have yet to find a tablet that is engineered to stand the rough and tumble of my flying environment. The USB power/data cables and connectors all seem a bit flimsy, I worry that they might be short lived. There is next to no protection against malicious software messing with the navigation reliability.

So, am I doing the right thing?

If I go down the SkyDemon route should I keep the Garmin unit as a backup? (if I do I will feel compelled to update it annually just in case....). Should I keep the Airspace Aware unit? (it is basically free to keep current but does use up panel space). I will be installing a Pilot Aware system soon but I can use my phone to get the radar view of conflicting traffic without going SkyDemon.

And finally, which Android tablet would you recommend to hold a SkyDemon system? I don't feel drawn to any of the other OS devices. It needs to be sunlight readable, robust, have have GPS built in and have enough grunt to work smoothly.

Thanks for reading this far,

Rans6A...........

ETOPS
8th Jun 2018, 07:47
Rans..

Take from this what you may but here's my set up...
Skydemon running on iPad on a RAM mount on the right of cockpit angled for easy viewing. iPad gets GPS position from Bad Elf pro via Bluetooth. When fired up Bad Elf can live in flight bag or pocket - it's completely robust in reception.
Pilotaware Rosetta (the new kit) fixed mounting and wired in with output on separate iPhone 6 mounted on left of cockpit and in my left field of vision. The reason is I don't look at the Skydemon all the time and its traffic display gets a bit "lost" in the map background. The iPhone I use to display only the "radar" screen which mimics the sort of TCAS display I'm used to from my previous day job.
For nav back-up I have an old Garmin 495 which also runs the Tru-track autopilot.

I have quite a few flights with this set up and am very happy with it - but as Beagle would say "keep a good look-out"...

BoeingBoy
8th Jun 2018, 18:03
Rans6,

Since installing SkyDemon on an Android tablet I have never looked back as far as navigation for both VFR and IFR flying goes. I still carry paper maps and plates in a bag behind the seat of my Archer but for all intents and purposes I run a paperless cockpit apart from the SD printed pilot log that I produce pre-flight. Initial subscription sees you right for a years updates and you can add Pooley's and AFE's guides to be included. Total is still less that £200 which is really only an hours flying to many. Like you I have a Garmin to feed but I tend to update that twice a year unless I'm planning any IFR work.

As far as which tablet I think most people will lean towards Samsung products, but I do tend to feel that the latest ones are a little flimsy for constant use. Believe it or not I use a 'Tesco Hudl II' still available for less than £100 on ebay and use a 2.4amp charger to keep it topped up in flight. It has yet to let me down in any way and is still one of the highest performing Android tablets available. It's built like a brick and has yet to suffer a scratch despite knocks and drops. That said, I back it up with an older Sony Xperia 10" which I find a little too large for anything other than putting on a lap board. The shiny face is also a disadvantage in sunlight, but at least it's a back up.

As for mounts I have the 8" Hudl on a RAM mount on the column and it sits nicely between the yokes.

Until they standardise on what protocol to use for proximity awareness I am sticking to radar or eyeballs for separation but I'm sure you will get replies from the geeks who are already ahead of me on that.

ivorPhillips
9th Jun 2018, 12:52
My system is similar to ETOPs, i have skydemon on a ipad knee board wi fi to pilotaware rosetta, this is used for flight planning/nav/ traffic, I also use a garmin Aera795 on a ball mount for primary navigation and a garmin495 to run the tru trak autopilot, It all works very well together with multiple redundancy if something goes down,
The ipad works well with skydemon with audio for traffic warning primarily but easy to glance at the screen if necessary,