PDA

View Full Version : Working for two Part 135 Operators?

GS Pilot
3rd Jun 2018, 02:08
Hey folks, peeking in here from Rotorheads with a quick question:
If current under Part 135 with one operator, and wanting to work a part time gig on same model aircraft for a different operator, would a pilot have to repeat all the ground requirements again. (Airspace, WX, AIM, etc). It would be nice to avoid the 30-40 hours of CTS.
Thanks

B2N2
3rd Jun 2018, 02:41
If you studied your 135 regs a little you’d know that it would not.
Every 135 operator has an individually approved course of training and you need to complete it.
amd the 135.293 and 135.299 checks.

Tinstaafl
3rd Jun 2018, 21:43
Not just the type specific training, but the whole of the operator's approved basic indoc & emergency training, as well as type specific ground & flight training.

GS Pilot
3rd Jun 2018, 22:50
If you studied your 135 regs a little you’d know that it would not.
Every 135 operator has an individually approved course of training and you need to complete it.
amd the 135.293 and 135.299 checks.
I've also was told yesterday by a 135 operator in Alaska that their training manual (approved by their POI) specifically states that credit can be given for training received by another operator if it's similar and within the same calendar year. Talking ground training here (CRM, WX, AIM, Hazmat etc), not flight training/checkrides.

Example: If operator A uses CTS and you've completed all the modules 7 months ago, and operator B also uses CTS or something similar, then you can skip those subjects and fly for B for 5 months. That's the issue I was asking about, which I would not have brought here unless I had already tried to find the answer in the FARs.

Tinstaafl
4th Jun 2018, 07:08
I received a letter from my POI a year or two ago - with a requirement to confirm that I complied - specifically to clarify that another operator's training does not meet the requirements of an operator to provide training to its crew. The issue seems to be that the rules require that the operator shall provide training i.a.w. its approved syllabus. Another operator's training isn't part of the subject operator's approved syllabus. You don't have control over what is taught or not taught, including operator specific stuff.

If you contracted with the other party to provide training, then that would be different. You would still be responsible for the outsourced training though. No different to contracting with Simcom/CAE/FS to provide type specific training. What ever training they give is held to be your approved course, not theirs (even though they may have provided the syllabus, ultimately it's approved as your syllabus, not theirs).

B2N2
4th Jul 2018, 02:35
GS,

did you ever ever get a reply from an authorized source like the FAA?