View Full Version : australian flying

kanga
18th Jun 2001, 00:47
i've got a uk ppl, and about 60 hours total. hoping to move to oz for a year. what are the minimum requirements in Australia for flying as an instructor?
do they demand a full CPL/IR to instruct?
how similar is it to the FAA?
are the writtens anything like those lovely JAR's?
how many of them are there?
i acknowledge that this is probably the laziest way of finding this information! :)

Kagamuga
18th Jun 2001, 09:00
Kanga, contact Joe Ferlazzo at RVAC at YMMB, and check out Royal Vic's home page. www.rvac.com.au (http://www.rvac.com.au) they have a continual stream of UK and European visitors just flying around Aussie as well as those doing training etc.
[email protected]

Good Luck, and safe flying

v1rotate
18th Jun 2001, 10:25
To get an instructors rating in Oz, you will need to have an Oz CPL. No IR, Twin rating or ATPL's needed. I think you may be able to get an Oz CPL with around 180 hours or so but don't quote me on that.

The Oz CPL is straight forward and not as tricky as the UK CAA/JAA.

------------------
"Jerry, just remember, it's NOT a LIE if YOU believe it." - George Costanza

GonvilleBromhead
18th Jun 2001, 11:15
Kanga, search on my name for a response from CFI (many thanks by the way CFI), not exactly the same question, but the info may be of some use to you. Good luck with it.

Charlie Foxtrot India
18th Jun 2001, 17:42
You'll need a CPL, for which you will need 200 hours tt, of which 100 in command, 10 IF, 20 in command cross-country, a class one medical, a pass in the CPL theory exam (nothing like as tricky as the JAR version and much cheaper) and whatever dual training is required for a CFI to recommend you for flight test. You can't go for the "150 hour" CPL as that has to be enrolled in from scratch, and the qualifications and hours you have so far wouldn't count. So, come to Aus, convert your PPL, build up your hours, upgrade to CPL and then enroll in an Instructor Rating course. That's the easy bit because then you have to find a job. From where you are now you would need to allow about $30,000 and about six months.

Good luck, email me for more details if you like.