PDA

View Full Version : National Lottery Win on Detachment

OpsO1000
31st May 2018, 07:22
Anyone know if you can claim a National Lottery win whilst serving overseas on detachment? I seem to recall you have to be actually in the UK at the time of any lottery win. Anyone have the (mis)fortune to experience this?

JAVELINBOY
31st May 2018, 08:14
Players must be 16 or over and physically located in the UK or Isle of Man.
This is on their webpage https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/games/lotto/about-lotto

Krystal n chips
31st May 2018, 08:42
To save you any inconvenience here, simply post the ticket to my PO Box number and I will happily ensure it is claimed very soon thereafter.....

Saintsman
31st May 2018, 09:28
I believe that you have to be in the UK to buy the ticket, but it doesn't matter where you are if you win.

Wait until you return from detachment and claim it then. Unless you have won the jackpot, I'm sure you can wait.

Dan Gerous
31st May 2018, 10:02
I think it is 6 months you have to claim any prize. After that it all comes to me, I wish.

The Oberon
31st May 2018, 11:15
I have a couple of tickets on "standing order" based on birthdays etc. I had a reasonable win whilst I was away and it was paid direct into my nominated bank account.

Stuff
31st May 2018, 13:34
This article from 2012 would seem to suggest that Camelot aren't interested in 'bending the rules' for Service people.
Give them a fighting chance: Troops serving overseas should be allowed to play National Lottery, says Labour (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126692/Give-fighting-chance-Troops-serving-overseas-allowed-play-National-Lottery-says-Labour.html)

As an aside, I know of several sections who have had to write a Lottery Win section into their Business Continuity Plan to cover what the organisation would need to do to recover if the syndicate should happen to win big and all the players decide to leave en-mass. Unfortunately, ours has never had to be tested :(

ian16th
31st May 2018, 15:26
A 'Pools Swindle' in ARSF at Lindholme circa 1956-7, won £75,000 just after I was posted to Coninsby :(

Never met any of them after the event.

Melchett01
31st May 2018, 19:56
I asked Camelot this a few years back for the very reason of our lottery swindle being amongst people who were away a lot at the time. Their response was basically if you set everything up before you leave the UK, make no changes whilst you’re out of the UK and payment is made through a UK bank by direct debit then the cash is yours.