PDA

View Full Version : pprune censoring

flyboyqw
30th May 2018, 23:47
Sorry for the cryptic message.

Once upon a time some country was blocked from accessing pprune. Someone knew why this was and made a few posts about it. But his posts were deleted by an administrator. When I pm'd this user about the issue he did pm me back but was then banned from receiving (perhaps also sending) pm's. I am not making this up. He could not receive pm's anymore as I got an error message stating this person is not allowed to receive pm's.

This is not meant to fuel any conspiracy theory (although I am sure it will). Instead, it shows you something about integrity.

Airbubba
31st May 2018, 00:28
One of the admins posted this explanation:

My, the conspiracy theories are flying in here!

This is due to a 3rd party security system that is temp blocking a source of extreme spam. All will be back to normal soon enough.

More discussion on this thread:

https://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/609426-vietnam-banned-pprune.html

Luke SkyToddler
31st May 2018, 00:37
First rule of conspiracies - anything that disproves the conspiracy, is part of the conspiracy to cover it up :D

flyboyqw
31st May 2018, 01:47
I don't think it is because of spam.Otherwise users won't get their posts deleted when pointing fingers and most certainly won't get banned from the PM system.

In all honesty, it could also be to protect the forum users, as crazy as it may sound. Because if certain organizations start to hack forum servers to extract personal information of certain individuals because they said not so nice things about certain governments, things can get ugly very quickly. I know for a fact that certain governments go to great lengths to find out who is behind certain online posts. Foreigners are just kicked out of the country but locals can end up in jail or sometimes just disappear. I can understand if pprune doesn't want anything to do with that.

Honestly, I don't know the real reason behind all of this, but it most certainly isn't "just" spam.

EagleA25
31st May 2018, 04:45
I don't think it is because of spam.Otherwise users won't get their posts deleted when pointing fingers and most certainly won't get banned from the PM system.

In all honesty, it could also be to protect the forum users, as crazy as it may sound. Because if certain organizations start to hack forum servers to extract personal information of certain individuals because they said not so nice things about certain governments, things can get ugly very quickly. I know for a fact that certain governments go to great lengths to find out who is behind certain online posts. Foreigners are just kicked out of the country but locals can end up in jail or sometimes just disappear. I can understand if pprune doesn't want anything to do with that.

Honestly, I don't know the real reason behind all of this, but it most certainly isn't "just" spam.
FlyBoy is absolutely right...!