PDA

View Full Version : Log Book Decodes Help

X1FTS
30th May 2018, 13:48
I'm trying to research a bit of ancient history. Can anyone help please? In 1965 I joined the University of Birmingham Air Squadron (UBAS) and got my 'budgie wings' and 120 hours flying in Chipmunks. In 1968/69 I completed the Basic Flying Training course on Jet Provosts at RAF Linton-on Ouse. Unfortunately I was later chopped at Oakington on the Varsity.
In my logbook I recorded only exercise numbers for all these courses and I now want to try and relate those numbers to the exercises they represented. Can anybody assist with this, or suggest where I might find the information? Thanks. Tom

DGAC
30th May 2018, 14:52
Try this link
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eBrOAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA117&lpg=PA117&dq=cfs+air+exercise+numbers&source=bl&ots=X3IwM-7CS0&sig=SACJtmt5_rlxUhoESiI6jeoP_XM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJxPSv163bAhXmCMAKHaDuARYQ6AEwEHoECAEQAQ#v=onepag e&q=cfs%20air%20exercise%20numbers&f=false

Mark 1
30th May 2018, 15:44
The RAF exercises and basic syllabi were used as a basis for civil training by the UK and many other civil authorities. You can find many examples of the numbering of exercises 1 to 19 such as here. (http://www.ypa.gr/iframe/files/Global_Training_Manual_Part2.pdf)

X1FTS
30th May 2018, 17:56
Thanks very much DGAC and Mark 1. Amazing speed and accuracy! The information is now safely in my logbook for posterity. Thanks again.

Bill Macgillivray
30th May 2018, 20:49
X1FTS

I was CFI on UBAS mid 60' s. Maybe I could help?

Bill

X1FTS
31st May 2018, 19:30
X1FTS

I was CFI on UBAS mid 60' s. Maybe I could help?

Bill

Lovely to hear from you Bill. Tom Mitcham here - I was one of the Keele students on UBAS 1965 to 1967. As a matter of fact yours is the first signature in my log book, certifying that I had qualified as First Pilot Day on the Chipmunk. Absolutely amazing to think that was over half a century ago. It certainly doesn't seem that long to me. I've just decided that 72 is the new 50 and I'm hoping to start flying again - PPL perhaps?
Thanks for the offer of help with my log book, but I now have that information. It would be nice perhaps to compare notes the last 50 years or so, so do send me an e-mail if you wish. All the best to you and yours, Tom

Bill Macgillivray
1st Jun 2018, 09:12
Tried to send private e-mail but did not work. All well here at nearly 80 ! Try [email protected] and I will get back to you.

Bill