PDA

View Full Version : Florida Flying Schools

alwayzinit
30th May 2018, 13:46
Hi All.
My lad is expressing an interest to join the "ranks".
As a result I would be really grateful for any inputs regarding good or bad experiences with any Florida Schools or Academies.
Please PM if have anything.
Many thanks

FREQUENTFLYER1234
30th May 2018, 16:09
What’s the reason for Florida?

I think the training in the UK is better and will better prepare your son for his future career.

eckhard
30th May 2018, 16:14
Treasure Coast Flight Training at Stuart (KSUA) worked well for us.

alwayzinit
30th May 2018, 18:30
Thanks eckhard appreciate the input.

aeropix
30th May 2018, 18:54
try Phoenix East Aviation in Daytona beach. They have a program similar to Embry Riddle (they’re at the same airport) and specialize in overseas students not pursuing a university degree at the same time. Been in business for decades at the same location so seems stable and well reviewed.

aeropix
30th May 2018, 18:56
What’s the reason for Florida?

Half the price of the UK and the FAA license is equally valued to a European one. The Florida schools have for many years specialized in career oriented overseas students and would prepare very well for a career.

TowerDog
30th May 2018, 19:25
Good flying weather in Florida, knock out more hours in shorter time. Busy airspace, good practice on the VHF.
I came from the old country to learn to fly in the US and have since got licenses from another 3 nations.
Back then the price was $20 per hour for a Cessna 150 in Florida, same aircraft in Northern Europe was $60 an hour.
Since I paid for the party by driving taxi cabs at night, I picked the cheapest flight school available.
I have since flown with guys and girls from the most expensive flight schools on the planet, they were no better or worse.
What counts in flight training is talent and motivation, not fancy schools or shiny aeroplanes,

FREQUENTFLYER1234
30th May 2018, 19:33
Half the price of the UK and the FAA license is equally valued to a European one. The Florida schools have for many years specialized in career oriented overseas students and would prepare very well for a career.

Cheaper I agree.

Does the OP’s son have the right to live and work in the USA? If yes, then I absolutely agree that FAA could be the way to go. Options are plentiful in the USA with carriers crying out for pilots and it’s easier to get on the first rung of the ladder over there due to the massive GA market.

Looking for your first job with a freshly minted EASA CPL and 250 hours in Europe will be more difficult. I’d suggest looking into paying the extra and going down the integrated route for the highest possibility (with no guarantees) of securing employment after the course.

He could also do the hybrid, completing most of the course in the USA and then converting the IR on returning to Europe to get the EASA license.

Its a big decision and people have had success with all routes, so best to weigh up the pros and cons of each before embarking on the journey.

FlyingOW
31st May 2018, 02:47
Highly recommend,

- Flight Safety https://www.flightsafetyacademy.com/
- All ATPs https://atpflightschool.com/

Both have campuses in FL and Airline Pilot career programas (can work as a CFI/II/MEI after graduation for the remainder of the visa)

if if you want a 4 year degree along with the flying credentials try Florida Institue of Tech or Embry Riddle. (Much more expensive)

OW

pauhana
31st May 2018, 08:49
I can second the recommendation for FlightSafety Academy in Vero Beach. Lots of airlines go there to do there ab initio programs. I think they actually have a program where by you can do your EASA as well. There is also a school in Phoenix, Can’t remember the name but I think Lufthansa used to use them.

alwayzinit
31st May 2018, 15:38
Again guys many thanks for the info.
FREQUENTFLYER1234 (https://www.pprune.org/members/297554-frequentflyer1234) whilst I appreciate your opinions about "who is best" and interest regarding our "rights to work" in the US, neither have any bearing on the original question.
Safe flying.

rahulpereira
1st Jun 2018, 10:15
I would recommend Global Pilot Academy in Tampa, Florida. Just got back from doing about 180 hrs of flying with them. Being on the West Coast, much less student pilot traffic when compared to the airports and flight schools littered on the East coast. Being a relatively newer school (4-5 years), they're not filled with huge amount of students and focus on making safe and good pilots. Trained and flown in a few schools around the country and was completely surprised at how much the school owners and Chief Flight Instructor actually look at the progress of each student on a day to day basis. Having lost a lot of time and money while training in other flight schools, I understand the importance of choosing a good flight school and also a good area. The West coast does not have many airspace restrictions compared to the East coast and the most important for me was the amount of fields just in case of emergencies. The biggest plus point for me was their maintenance too. I would highly recommend them.
P.S. I do not get any benefits from them. I just try to spread the word based on my amazing experience.