PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys like living in HK?

KVOK
30th May 2018, 00:08
Hello there,

Let's see if someone is as kind as to shed some light as far as areas for living are concerned. I would really appreciate, so thanks in advance.
I am considering an offer to work at VHHH. I'd be bringing the kids with me and they're still in primary. Ideally, I'm thinking of a family friendly area near schools (possibly international) and with a reasonably good link to commute to the airport and a better chance to find a 4bd apartment not crazy expensive; it'd be a plus to have parks nearby. I know TC is a common choice but I believe there is no international primary school there. DB maybe? Wondering if it's better to commute from Kowloon or HK island or rather stay in Lantau. I've been also advised that south Lantau is not such a good choice because it can be a nightmare to commute when typhoon season arrives.
Anybody help? Thanks a lot.

KAPAC
30th May 2018, 00:52
What’s your budget ?

arse
30th May 2018, 01:26
Try this website to get an idea of rental prices.

https://www.squarefoot.com.hk/rent/

If you have not already been to visit HK as part of your application process, then you really should do so before accepting an offer.

You know, how there are certain times in your life when you remember exactly where you were when something major happened? Like 9/11. Like the Tsunami. Like Hiroshima (OK, ... I'm not that old). Well, ... the first time you see a HK 1000 sqft 4 bedroom flat is like that.

Be aware that ...... "a 4bd apartment not crazy expensive" and your other requirements are mutually exclusive. Do your research. Good luck.

dabz
30th May 2018, 03:08
I like living in a shoebox with other people. I've been here so long I've forgotten what it's like to have space, who would ever want to have lots of space...

SW1
30th May 2018, 03:23
Hello there,

Let's see if someone is as kind as to shed some light as far as areas for living are concerned. I would really appreciate, so thanks in advance.
I am considering an offer to work at VHHH. I'd be bringing the kids with me and they're still in primary. Ideally, I'm thinking of a family friendly area near schools (possibly international) and with a reasonably good link to commute to the airport and a better chance to find a 4bd apartment not crazy expensive; it'd be a plus to have parks nearby. I know TC is a common choice but I believe there is no international primary school there. DB maybe? Wondering if it's better to commute from Kowloon or HK island or rather stay in Lantau. I've been also advised that south Lantau is not such a good choice because it can be a nightmare to commute when typhoon season arrives.

DMK ( discovery mind) has an international primary school in Tung Chung

Oasis
30th May 2018, 03:25
Lots of expats seem to gravitate towards discovery bay, Sai Kung and clear water bay. Have a look at those and see what you think.
discovey bay is definitely closer than the other two to the airport.
Welcome to Hong Kong!

Daddy Fantastic
30th May 2018, 03:32
Discovery Bay

AQIS Boigu
30th May 2018, 04:01
Is the Q where we would like to live or what we can afford?

swh
30th May 2018, 04:26
In behind the outlets in Tubg Chung you can find many different brands of shoe boxes, pick out a couple of ones you like from the brands that appeal to you.

That should set you up for accommodation for you and your family.

if a shoe box does not appeal to you, HKG won’t either.

Suggest you take out extra loss of licence and income protection insurance as you are bound to have a myocardial infarction when you get a non refundable HK$4 million debenture bill for each child to get them into a school.

krismiler
30th May 2018, 08:28
Phuket, if you can get a compact roster. Moor your yacht at the Royal Phuket Marina and stay on that or buy a property in the development. Isn’t that what most CX Pilots do ?

humbleppl
30th May 2018, 08:42
not a commercial pilot but traveling twice a week. Lived in DB for 2 decades and loved the proximity to the airport and of course the outdoor space, sports clubs... Moved to Central 2 years ago and notice I can get back and forth between home and airport faster than from DB (as I am near the train station for the airport express which runs every 10 mins vs. every 30 mins; he DB bus). HKG is really busy and all is shoe box size, you better check out the areas yourself WITH your family. Shoe box size it certainly is; but I assure you there are also nice shoe boxes here. If you can get a place anywhere (more or less) close to the train station, it doesn't have to be DB (although DB for a family is very appealing and compared to other places ion mid levels, Soho... you get a slightly bigger place for your money),

azhkman
30th May 2018, 09:08
I like living in a shoebox with other people. I've been here so long I've forgotten what it's like to have space, who would ever want to have lots of space...

Especially when those other people are your family :-)

I've lived in the mid-levels, Discovery Bay, Wan Chai, Kennedy Town, and now Tung Chung. I honestly like Tung Chung the best, but they all offer something good, but the others mostly bad. To give you an idea, I pay $28k in TC, in a newer building but only three bedrooms, it's about 1160 sq ft. I like TC because there are so many parks and playgrounds for the kids, and they attend a preschool there. The amenities in the buildings are way better than what we had in New York and Sydney and anywhere else in HK. In Kennedy Town, it was great for restaurants, but only 1 park, narrow sidewalks, and we were paying $33k for a 715 sq ft, 3 bedroom. Think about that. I could not walk around the bed. The kids rooms were 7' x 7'! In Wan Chai, pre-kids, I paid $24k for an awesome place on Kennedy Street, with two terraces, and three bedrooms, but it was on the second floor so no one wanted to rent it which is why we got it for so cheap. It was a great neighborhood for being close to bars, and restaurants, but not many parks. Discovery Bay was nice, and we owned our place, but we left because it is a bit confining plus it is was hard to get to & from (this has improved a little with the taxi stand in the north plaza), and looking at the flyers, it is not much cheaper than other prime areas. The mid-levels has no parks except for one on Seymour Road, but you can find an ok deal here and there if you are willing to put the time in.

You could do Tung Chung and have your kids commute on the buses to the schools depending on their age.

Think about it from the angle of not what you can get, but what you can put up with--then you can come out pleasantly surprised.

pill
30th May 2018, 10:38
Australia...

Haven’t noticed typhoons effecting transport to and from South Lantau to much. Public holidays/sunny weekends arvos buses are full and taxis near impossible for a few hours till all the people having a day at the beach have left. Tai O and Pui O public primary schools are well spoken of, however places are limited.
Had my family in Hk on a cx captains package, didn’t last 5 years. Think long and hard, it’s an acquired taste.

RAT Management
30th May 2018, 14:04
B scale captains on full expat housing are leaving to take SO packages in home countries. This tells you pretty much what living in Hong Kong is like with a family. The worst thing for you is these guys were at the top of the pay scale where they can afford to shell out more to be comfortable. You, I am afraid, will not have that luxury. Unless you have been used to something similar I suspect you will regret the move in a matter of months. Good luck.

spleener
30th May 2018, 16:18
Hello there,

Think your advice so far is okay, except:
-avoid
-avoid
-avoid , and
-South Lantau is not so much different.

hyg
31st May 2018, 08:06
There are fair bit of choices out in New Territories if you don't mind joining the local middle class....

KVOK
31st May 2018, 11:41
What’s your budget ?

Tops 50K I've seen that the further you the cheaper it gets but I don't want to commute too long. I was also wondering how common is to have a car, since I've read it's almost a luxury item... Thanks for all the comments even those with sarcasm and irony. I get the point. I'll do my numbers, but practical info and some tips from you guys with experience is what I really need at this point. Thanks.

mngmt mole
31st May 2018, 11:43
There are fair bit of choices out in New Territories if you don't mind joining the local middle class....

eek:...and most of us know all too well what that really means

benttrees
31st May 2018, 13:19
.......but don’t care to expand.....

crwkunt roll
1st Jun 2018, 00:17
although DB for a family is very appealing and compared to other places ion mid levels, Soho... you get a slightly bigger place for your money)
Twice the size for the same money, to be exact.

Start Fore
1st Jun 2018, 00:27
Basically, Hong Kong is a grave yard of broken dreams, misery and divorce.

Unless you've got a housing allowance of 50-100k HKD per month, it's going to end in tears. If you're lucky enough to have a decent housing package, you can be comfortable as an expat, and it might indeed turn out to be rewarding experience for a few years.

With a housing allowance in that region you can have a large apartment, suitable for a family, in DB, Mid Levels, Tung Chung, or a house in SaI Kung or Clearwater Bay. I would personally pick Sai Kung, with a house and a car if I were in that position.

The next problem is the education costs for the kids. It's insane.

Many of my colleagues have decamped to Phuket in the last several years, commuting to HKG, benefitting from the high salaries and housing allowance, whilst living in a location where everything is 75% cheaper. Excellent schools as well.

mngmt mole
1st Jun 2018, 07:34
Rather insane situation where you have to live in a different country than the one you are employed in. Suggest perhaps CX management doesn't have a clue as to the actual living conditions/concerns of their aircrew. Or they simply don't care. Be so advised.

DUSKY DOG
4th Jun 2018, 07:07
Personally I prefer the Peak, or Repulse Bay. Yet the Island is the only civilised place to live.All the good schools are here.

Freehills
4th Jun 2018, 07:19
KGV is a good school... (kowloon side)

KVOK
4th Jun 2018, 09:46
Basically, Hong Kong is a grave yard of broken dreams, misery and divorce.

Unless you've got a housing allowance of 50-100k HKD per month, it's going to end in tears. If you're lucky enough to have a decent housing package, you can be comfortable as an expat, and it might indeed turn out to be rewarding experience for a few years.

With a housing allowance in that region you can have a large apartment, suitable for a family, in DB, Mid Levels, Tung Chung, or a house in SaI Kung or Clearwater Bay. I would personally pick Sai Kung, with a house and a car if I were in that position.

The next problem is the education costs for the kids. It's insane.

Many of my colleagues have decamped to Phuket in the last several years, commuting to HKG, benefitting from the high salaries and housing allowance, whilst living in a location where everything is 75% cheaper. Excellent schools as well.

Thanks so much for your insight. I appreciate. I still have to wait to confirm how much the housing allowance will be but there'll be to some extent. I also like Sai Kung but, isn't it a bit to far to commute to the airport? That's why you mention the car I suppose. Isn't it quite a burden to have a car from what I've heard here and there, apart from costly? I've seen that there are crazy expensive schools but also other ones with more reasonable prices, some of them even without debentures. Cheers!

KVOK
4th Jun 2018, 09:49
Personally I prefer the Peak, or Repulse Bay. Yet the Island is the only civilised place to live.All the good schools are here.
Hey thanks for that. Doesn't it take too long to go to the airport from these areas? And I suppose you need a car if you don't it to be too lengthy...?

mngmt mole
4th Jun 2018, 13:13
Hmmm, someone isnt very adept in taking the hint. In that case, come on in, the water is lovely 😱

KVOK
7th Jun 2018, 09:06
Hmmm, someone isnt very adept in taking the hint. In that case, come on in, the water is lovely 😱
Thanks for the hints. I am not working for CX, I appreciate all kind of info and hints but I hope no offense is taken if I make my own decisions... Asking for practical info doesn't harm anybody I hope.

mngmt mole
7th Jun 2018, 09:18
Fair enough to ask questions. The simple answer is that coming to CX is a fools errand and best avoided.

stormfury
7th Jun 2018, 10:49
Thanks for the hints. I am not working for CX, I appreciate all kind of info and hints but I hope no offense is taken if I make my own decisions... Asking for practical info doesn't harm anybody I hope.

Fair enough to ask questions. The simple answer is that coming to CX is a fools errand and best avoided.

Pretty clear he’s moving to HK not CX. There’s more HK has to offer than just CX.

Here is another option: https://saffron-marina.com/category/liveaboard-houseboat-hong-kong/

EESDL
7th Jun 2018, 13:33
Had a great time Central Mid-levels - 29th floor and apartment had good play park and pool. Great location to Peak walks etc.
however - our kids we not with us - don’t get me wrong, they loved to visit for Christmas, Sevens etc but they are now mid-twenties ;-)
from what I can gather from colleagues with kids requiring school was find a suitable school then decide where to live - unless you are very very wealthy - the cost of schooling or confirmed access to it will dictate where you live in HK.
Most places either have good access to ‘express’ airport buses - with Wi-fi - or ensure close to airport rail shuttle

Pitot Probe
10th Jun 2018, 08:45
If you have to be at HKIA everyday, Sai Kung is probably a bit far.

Driving from Sai Kung to the airport takes about 45min and about 60min in morning traffic (this is based on driving the Shatin route).

As for owning a car:
I won't call it a luxury item per se. Almost everyone in the Sai Kung / Clear Water Bay / South Lantau area has one.

​​​​It is fairly cheap to buy any second hand car. Running it can be expensive though.
Fuel: HKD16 per litre. (About HKD120 for Sai Kung to HKIA and back.)
Parking: Average village parking (outside) is HKD1000 per month.
Parking at HKIA: HKD80 per day (there should be cheaper monthly deals though)
License: HKD7000 per year
MOT and service: (depends on model): ~HKD5000 per year.
Toll fees: Sai Kung to HKIA and back: HKD46 per trip.

As for renting in Sai Kung:
You can easily rent a 4 bedroom 2100sqft village house in a nice location and with good finishes for between 50 and 55K per month. (will normally include parking).
However, access to public transport might be limited, so you might need two cars if you use one to go to the airport everyday.

Wandering Paddy
15th Jun 2018, 14:26
I worked for HAECO for a while and lived in DB. I had my own flat (single bloke), It cost me roughly 10k per month. That was 5 years ago though. I loved it there, 20 mins from central etc. After living there, I found myself back in London sharing with 6 people in Acton town. I'd advise anyone to choose carefully where they relocate. I had a great lifestyle in DB, but HAECO was sucking the soul out of me so I left. People complain about HK, and yes there are some major issues, but in comparison to London, its a utopia.

KVOK
15th Jun 2018, 21:33
If you have to be at HKIA everyday, Sai Kung is probably a bit far.

Driving from Sai Kung to the airport takes about 45min and about 60min in morning traffic (this is based on driving the Shatin route).

As for owning a car:
I won't call it a luxury item per se. Almost everyone in the Sai Kung / Clear Water Bay / South Lantau area has one.

​​​​It is fairly cheap to buy any second hand car. Running it can be expensive though.
Fuel: HKD16 per litre. (About HKD120 for Sai Kung to HKIA and back.)
Parking: Average village parking (outside) is HKD1000 per month.
Parking at HKIA: HKD80 per day (there should be cheaper monthly deals though)
License: HKD7000 per year
MOT and service: (depends on model): ~HKD5000 per year.
Toll fees: Sai Kung to HKIA and back: HKD46 per trip.

As for renting in Sai Kung:
You can easily rent a 4 bedroom 2100sqft village house in a nice location and with good finishes for between 50 and 55K per month. (will normally include parking).
However, access to public transport might be limited, so you might need two cars if you use one to go to the airport everyday.

Thanks for all these pieces of info and hints. I am more inclined to sticking around Lantau, but the prices differ so much between DB and South Lantau... Is it realistic to look for a 4bd house in DB below 45k?

broadband circuit
19th Jun 2018, 04:36
And if anyone doubts the outrageous cost of anything real-estate related in HK, check this out. World record broken for selling price of a car parking space. $6M HK.

Ye, you read right, a car parking space...

https://homes.nine.com.au/2018/06/18/12/39/most-expensive-parking-space-in-the-world