PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Belgium (from UK)

Hangar_9
29th May 2018, 15:37
Hello all,

I'm about to make a move to Brussels, Belgium for work.

I hold a EASA PPL(a) + Night + IR/(R) rating. All UK issued since 2014...

Few questions:

A) Where in the Brussels area (say 1 hour drive of the city) can I find affordable PPL self fly-hire?
B) Do the Belgian folk enjoy 'sharing' their aircraft in a private split equity based system. Like here in the UK? If so, is there a good web source for adverts or classifieds? I've come from an equity share and struggling to entertain the idea of 180+ euro/s hour in a spam can.
C) Can I use my Night rating?
D) Do I need to convert my UK issued (EASA) PPL or can I fly F-reg / OO-reg on this current license?
E) Can I keep my PPL permanent address in the UK. My work contract is permanent but I am by no means fixed on a life in Belgium. I'd guess i'd have to convert to Belgian issued PPL if I registered my permanent address in Belgium?

Do appreciate any feedback from EXPATS or those who have gone through a similar change.

Regards,

H9

Jan Olieslagers
29th May 2018, 16:15
Welcome to my country! But it is a very very different place, inasmuch as I can judge - I never knew the UK countries from inside though I always enjoyed visiting.

A) Grimbergen EBGB is the only small airfield near Brussels. Grass only, VFR only, very strict procedures. Even there, "self-fly hire" is not a common concept, either you own your own craft or you hire from a club. We do have genuine - i.e. "not for profit" aeroclubs, here, actually most small aerodromes are operated by one.

B) No, shares are rather exceptional, though not totally unheard of.

[[edited to add]] and if setting up a syndicate, be warned about the scarcity of hangar space. My own homefield EBZH has a livid waiting list, last time I inquired there were only 10 to go :( EBCF Cerfontaine seems to have permanent vacancies but it might take a Ferrari or Aston-Martin, driven with a lot of urge, to cover the distance in one hour, especialy on a Friday afternoon after work.

C-D-E) no answer, I know little of EASA licensing as I am on a sub-ICAO license. But I seem to understand one can basically fly an EASA plane on an EASA license in all EASA-land.

Generally: I know quite a few UK expats in Brussels, they are massively giving up UK nationality in favour of Continental citizenship, Belgian mostly. Especially since Brexit, now just guess why?

And - slightly ironic, but still - if you are "by no means fixed on a life in Belgium", you may have some things to learn yet. How to pay taxes, for a beginning...

180 € per hour sounds more like Holland, though, you should be able to find better in Belgium. Do be prepared to join a club, though, and that would involve some degree of club activity, too - like assisting in the annual cutting of trees near the runway, or turning the spit or cleaning the loo at the (equally annual) club festivities.

patowalker
30th May 2018, 07:49
Commiserations. :)

BDM
30th May 2018, 09:01
Welcome, H9!

A) On a good day - trafficwise that is - your definition of Brussels area covers quite a lot of our country ☺. If you plan on flying in the weekends , you will have a number of options. I fly (gliders) at EBBT near Antwerp which is a former military field in beautiful surroundings. The resident flying club owns a diverse fleet (ps28 Cruisers, C170's [one with glass cockpit], Piper Super Cub's and ULM's)

B) There are some syndicates around, but I don't belive many spare shares are advertised as they are in the UK. More of a word of mouth thing. I believe on our field there was a share in a Pa18, but I don't know if that is still available. Depends on what type of flying you are after. The rate of 180 seems quite steep. You should be able to do much better than that at most smaller fields.

C) Our field is only operational in daytime so the night rating could not be used. Perhaps flying clubs on larger regional/international airfields (Antwerp, Kortrijk, etc.) do have that option.

D) and E) An easa PPL should be acceptable in most places. If you want I can put you in touch with people more versed in the regulation of (motor)flying in Belgium.

Good luck and hope you get to experience our lovely yet deliciously complicated airspace!

Sam Rutherford
30th May 2018, 16:16
Where Belgium excels is in accessible microlight flying, but I don't know if that is of interest?

Otherwise previous posters are correct, syndicates are very rare. Club flying (and thus some lack of availability) is the main route for non-owners.