PDA

View Full Version : Post-Brexit Air Services

LGS6753
28th May 2018, 20:03
Good news:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/28/britain-open-skies-deal-us-due-summer-negotiators-agree-key/

Cazza_fly
28th May 2018, 22:16
It was never going to be bad news though... Except of course in the minds of those who continue to believe negative propaganda from the likes of certain broadcasting corporations...

c52
29th May 2018, 00:57
I'm sure you are right, C f.

Yet it is hard for me to understand why the UK should want to allow Spanish and Norwegian airlines to serve UK-USA instead of a British airline. It doesn't seem to me to be in the spirit of Brexit.

Plane.Silly
29th May 2018, 06:37
Great, that's one part of the Open skies puzzle...now what about the UK-EU? you know, where the bulk of the volume is?
How are they going to get past the people who say we can't cherry pick?
And how do they get round the jurisiction of the ECJ?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRhnBu_36Qvts8Oy_LFVcZMQe-213g_FC_ozAet09iJ7aho2pu

ATNotts
29th May 2018, 07:19
Plane.Silly

You're absolutely right, UK/USA is but a very small, albeit an important part of the jigsaw.

The incessant piddling around of the UK government trying to negotiate through an array of red lines that have been put in place solely to satisfy a group of extremists within the conservative party; and particularly the DUP in Northern Ireland who really hold sway, whilst the proverbial clock is ticking could still lead to disaster so far us UK / EU air services are concerned. However given a little common sense the can could, and probably will be kicked another 20 months down the line to New Years Eve 2020 - certainly UK carriers already announcing their programmes for summer 2019 suggest this will be the case. They must have had some sort of guarantees from HMG before committing to fleet and employment expansion. It would have been foolish not to have.

Barling Magna
29th May 2018, 07:48
some sort of guarantees from HMG

Uh-oh.........

Heathrow Harry
29th May 2018, 07:50
I'm sure you are right, C f.

Yet it is hard for me to understand why the UK should want to allow Spanish and Norwegian airlines to serve UK-USA instead of a British airline. It doesn't seem to me to be in the spirit of Brexit.
because there isnt a big british airline any more??

BA are european owned, virgin us controlled, easyjet are sh and heading for europe base as fast as possible

ATNotts
29th May 2018, 07:51
Uh-oh.........

I agree, I'd rather depend upon a guarantee from "Honest John's Car Sales" than HMG!!

SWBKCB
29th May 2018, 08:16
I agree, I'd rather depend upon a guarantee from "Honest John's Car Sales" than HMG!!

Especially as it's a guarantee HMG can't deliver on their own - takes two sides to make an agreement, and what's the phrase - "Nothings agreed until everything is agreed"?

c52
29th May 2018, 11:55
Clearly there isn't a big long-range British airline any more - but if IAG can fly to the USA from London, why shouldn't SAS or Air Canada?

Packer27L
29th May 2018, 13:06
Good news:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/28/britain-open-skies-deal-us-due-summer-negotiators-agree-key/
What brilliant news - what happens now will continue to happen!

That's progress for you.