PDA

View Full Version : Swiss looking for Direct Entry FO A320

hoox
28th May 2018, 12:02
Hey guys,

might be interesting for some of you. Requirements: TR, 500h MPA, german speaking.
https://careers.swiss.com/index.php?ac=jobad&id=5113

Starbear
28th May 2018, 16:15
Hey guys,

might be interesting for some of you. Requirements: TR, 500h MPA, german speaking.
https://careers.swiss.com/index.php?ac=jobad&id=5113

Its probably been covered numerous times before but why is is ok in this day and liberal age and especially in "euroland" acceptable to specify German Speaking in this sort of idustry?

gearlever
28th May 2018, 16:45
Its probably been covered numerous times before but why is is ok in this day and liberal age and especially in "euroland" acceptable to specify German Speaking in this sort of idustry?

In these days and liberal age/world the Operator should have the freedom to specify that, shouldn't he?

172_driver
28th May 2018, 17:32

Disgruntled Brit because everyone else can apply for your job while the opposite is not true?

I am sure you know the answer to your own question. For starters it provides a competitive edge to provide the service in the local lingo. We carry a few Chinese speaking cabin crew on Chinese destinations. I am sorry but we don't hire Italians for that job.

seventhreedriver
8th Jun 2018, 12:59

An interesting fact: Switzerland is not a part of "euroland"...

wiggy
8th Jun 2018, 16:38

Just a guess but perhaps because even in this day and age not everybody in Europe is fluent in English and you might have to communicate with the likes of Ops staff, schedulers etc in a language they are fluent in?

JW411
8th Jun 2018, 16:52
Interestingly, when I worked for TNT Airways in Liege, the Working Language was English for absolutely everyone regardless of whether they worked in an office, in the warehouse, on the ramp or flew the aeroplanes. Over the years we had pilots from all over the world including Nigeria and Uruguay. We all got on just fine. Of course, most of our Belgian pilots already spoke at least three languages. As usual, us Brits were completely bloody lazy when it came to learning another language.

Doug E Style
8th Jun 2018, 17:37
Someone who can speak three languages is tri-lingual
Someone who can speak two languages is bi-lingual
Someone who can speak one language is probably British.

BluSdUp
8th Jun 2018, 19:29
Good to see more recruitment in that part of Europe, have met a some pilots commuting to the Alps, not always easy.
How long since Swiss hired, does anyone know?

With regards to Starbears uneducated question, it is to prevent people like him entering.
The whole ad was in German so as to reduce the amount to a reasonable and qualified amount for the company to process.
How many English only speaking pilots work in SAS or Lufthansa , I would guess non?
I like it that way,
Wonderbar

Father Dick Byrne
8th Jun 2018, 19:31

Despite being a product of the English public school system, I’m fortunate to be pretty fluent in two languages and can get by in a third. I can be polite in a few more. And there’s Latin, too.

But the nail you’ve hit on the head is not a nail belonging to those who are its victims, it’s just the consequence of a delinquent education system which utterly failed to appreciate its State’s place in the modern world.

BluSdUp
8th Jun 2018, 19:41
Oh ,And a AirFrance pilot with no French accent , we would actually know if he was angry or just hungry! No way!!
( Mods , feel free to delete, as that was childish , but I just could not help myself. After all political correctness is being rewritten in Ottawa as we speak. )

Mister Geezer
8th Jun 2018, 19:51
For those of you non Swiss citizens that feel hard done by with such a policy then spare a thought for those individuals who are Swiss and can't apply to their national carrier since they may not be proficient in German but could still be fluent in the other three official languages recognised by the country?

gearlever
8th Jun 2018, 20:06

Sorry to say, also my experience in over 30 yrs of aviation, not to mention the girls/guys over the pond....

sudden twang
8th Jun 2018, 23:30
Brits not speaking a foreign language is a function of necessity not idleness.
Look on the bright side most Brits can’t apply for most jobs in Europe but most Europeans can apply to British airlines.
More opportunity less competition.

172_driver
9th Jun 2018, 08:45
could you please elaborate?
Italian speaking 3 foreign languages here.

Super! If Chinese is one of them you could apply as cabin crew for the long haul fleet.

I am not sure if you paid attention to what I wrote?? Not hiring Italians for an operation that demands Chinese speaking staff was just an example. Assumption on my part; most Italians don't speak Chinese.

BluSdUp
10th Jun 2018, 13:20
Now there is something to ponder for the English only lot!
On another note:
I meet a lot of wonderful young people in my endless journey across Europe in the busy LOCO world, and I am saddened to hear how poor they speak English.
By all means be proud of Your Country, but learn proper English.

Anyway , I have good fun checking in with SwissControll with a cheerful " Guten Tag" or " Bon Jour" , just to be met with a politically correct " Good morning".
Makes my day , every day. Good Gang.
Happy Flying

Alsacienne
10th Jun 2018, 21:33
I am saddened to hear how poor they speak English

or perhaps write it too ... (how poorly)

skyguardian88
9th Apr 2023, 10:09
Not native speaker but I have B2, is it enough for them?
Rated with more hours than on requirements
Any info regarding the assessment will be appreciated