PDA

View Full Version : Going to Africa ?

trekker
24th Jul 2002, 21:40
Well, I've just about given up on finding a job in the UK in the near future and am considering taking a trip to Africa to go knocking on doors.

My question is, and this is assuming than I am sucessful in my quest, is when I return to the UK after 1 or 2 years flying round Africa, how is a potential employer going to view my flying experience.

Will flying round the bush, mostly VFR etc.. count against me, or will the experience enhance my job prospects ? Will I have restricted my self to flying in Africa for the rest of my life ? Or do the hours and experience still count ?

Any thoughts, anyone been there already ?

Cheers

Trekker

cc:African Forum

Sick
24th Jul 2002, 21:51
I know an awful lot of current UK airline pilots who started out flying in Africa. Good folk too.

try Frantic when you come back.

trekker
25th Jul 2002, 14:31
Thanks for that Sick. Has Frantic been there, come back and is now flying over here ?

Trekker
:cool:

xabi200
25th Jul 2002, 19:56
Hi trekker,

I've been in Mali for three months now flying a tcheck a/c LET410

I do hope that my hours are valuable eventhough I'm flying without a type rating.

Anyway I think that flying here mostly with GPS and doing visual approaches is better than sitting at home.

At least for the first time in my life I'm been paid to fly (700pounds), isn't it what we want? To fly and be paid?

I did not have much choice as this is the only job I came accross in one year, I only had 400h.

The only way to get a job is to knock on doors or have connection.I've heard of a guy in Accra getting a job showing up.

The biggest problem is that Africa is expensive.
Expensive hotels, expensive airfares.

I almost got a job in Abidjan knoking on doors, and got that job here thru connection,complicated connection I should say.

Good luck to you.

trekker
26th Jul 2002, 14:45
Xabi

Thanks for your advice. Good to know that it worked out for you.

As I feel I have nothing to lose I'll probaly head out there in November, not sure where yet, and go knocking on doors and hope I'm in the right place at the right time. Should be a bit of an adventure if nothing else !

Cheers

Trekker

fonawah
26th Jul 2002, 14:58
Trekker,
you may like to try Kenya or Tanzania working with wildlife conservation where a pilot may be needed to follow the herds for tracking purposes etc. Just a thought. Hope it helps

Scratch One Bandit
26th Jul 2002, 18:39
Hi Trekker,

I've just dropped you a line to your private pprune messenger thing, as I'm interested in finding work abroad too,

Regards,

Scratch One Bandit

AMEX
27th Jul 2002, 00:18
Kenya is a land for experienced pilots I am afraid. Lots of experienced , skilfulled guys in th area and the licence conversion is quite difficult and expensive (unlike many other African countries).
A very temping country (Films, national Geographic,etc....) but far from easy to break in.

Boss Raptor
27th Jul 2002, 11:32
Africa is not a place for the in-experienced...

Conditions are poor both flying and otherwise...most good operators require experienced flyers because of all the added hazards and the simple fact that they want there $1 million Cessna Caravan or similar brought back every day in one piece!