PDA

View Full Version : 27th of May, a very significant day in aviation history...

Rhino power
27th May 2018, 09:33
27th May 1958, the first flight of Mr Mac's finest, the F-4 Phantom II, the world's greatest ever fighter/bomber/recce/weasel!
60 years old and still going strong!

The very first Phantom II, F4H-1 142295, seen at MAC on the 5th June 1958...
-RP

KPax
27th May 2018, 09:53
Lovely aircraft, well ugly but a damn fine aircraft.

MPN11
27th May 2018, 09:55
Happy Birthday, F-4, even if it is the Navigator-free version!

Bing
27th May 2018, 16:41
Happy Birthday, F-4, even if it is the Navigator-free version!

Worryingly I think even the F4H-1 had a navigator, they just didn't feel he should be spoilt by much in the way of a view!

MPN11
27th May 2018, 19:14
Worryingly I think even the F4H-1 had a navigator, they just didn't feel he should be spoilt by much in the way of a view!
Oh, I do believe you’re right! Bit like the Sea Vixen ‘coal hole’. Silly me ... sorry, gents.

Bing
27th May 2018, 20:05
Oh, I do believe you’re right! Bit like the Sea Vixen ‘coal hole’. Silly me ... sorry, gents.

No problem, it's almost amusing seeing the space for the aft cockpit expand over the first ten prototypes as they slowly realise navigators are real people too!

TEEEJ
27th May 2018, 21:03
There is currently an F-4H-1 up for sale.

Never demilled, BuNu 145310 has been under restoration to airworthy condition for the past 10 years by Aircraft Restoration Services LLC at the French Valley Airport, CA. It is being offered for sale As Is, Where Is, and Aircraft Restoration Services LLC is prepared to contract to finish the Phantom to airworthy condition.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/phantom.html

tartare
28th May 2018, 01:19
...sigh... if only one was a billionaire.
Another coupla mill to finish the job, then off to Collings to do me F-4 rating.
Perfect for travelling quickly across the GAFA and probably enough space for luggage in the Sargent Fletchers.
Imagine parking that bad boy down at the aero-club hangar.
The `toom; just like the Frightening; from the era when jets were heavy iron monsters...

EDIT: Perhaps not.
Historic aircraft - but limited CofA only.
No Sargent Fletchers allowed.
Looks like no bang seats allowed on the civil register here either.
And as for dropping booms - even over the outback...