PDA

View Full Version : 1934 Russian Aircraft at Moscow

b1lanc
26th May 2018, 22:41
Can anyone identify the two aircraft in the foreground - the 4-engine and the tri-motor? Sent this to Janes many years back (particularly was curious about the tri-motor) and they couldn't identify tri-motor. There is a TB-3 in the background and it just doesn't look quite the same as the 4-engine aircraft facing the camera which appears to be undergoing maintenance - can't see props or engines really.

Just noticed what looks like a prop on the nose of the aircraft?
Cheers

Heathrow Harry
27th May 2018, 06:07
the one on the right is a twin engined Tupelov ATN-37 I think

the large one could be a TB4/ANT-6 or an ANT 16 but in the latter case it should have an engine mounted above the fuselage as well (!!!)

MReyn24050
27th May 2018, 11:38
the one on the right is a twin engined Tupelov ATN-37 I think

the large one could be a TB4/ANT-6 or an ANT 16 but in the latter case it should have an engine mounted above the fuselage as well (!!!)
The one on the right is a three engined aircraft, possibly the ANT-9. The larger aircraft on the left is a puzzle. High wing, fixed undercarriage with what appears to be 4 engines. I thought perhaps it might be the ANT-14 but that had a fifth engine in the nose.
The frontal view looks like the Fokker XXXVI but that first flew in 1934. However very unlikely and I am sure it wouldn't have been undergoing maintenance out in the open in Moscow.

SincoTC
28th May 2018, 11:47
Hi Mel,

If you zoom in on the image, a fifth engine can be seen on the nose with its prop neatly parked horizontally like the other four, so I'm sure you're correct and it is an Tupolev ANT-14 Pravda :D

Edited to say: Just noticed a comment added by b1lank to original post "Just noticed what looks like a prop on the nose of the aircraft?"

A thought on the Trimotor at right, while agreeing that an ANT-9 is a likely candidate, didn't they all have two-bladed props? This one clearly has three-bladed, so how about a PZL.4 which had them as standard and also fits in the time-frame!

MReyn24050
28th May 2018, 13:23
Hi Mel,

If you zoom in on the image, a fifth engine can be seen on the nose with its prop neatly parked horizontally like the other four, so I'm sure you're correct and it is an Tupolev ANT-14 Pravda :D

Edited to say: Just noticed a comment added by b1lank to original post "Just noticed what looks like a prop on the nose of the aircraft?"

A thought on the Trimotor at right, while agreeing that an ANT-9 is a likely candidate, didn't they all have two-bladed props? This one clearly has three-bladed, so how about a PZL.4 which had them as standard and also fits in the time-frame!

Hi. Thanks for that, when I zoomed the photograph it was not clear but fuzzy and I was not sure if it was a prop or an imperfection. Regarding the Trimotor in Bill Gunston's book "Tupolev Aircraft since 1922" there is a photograph of the prototype ANT-8 after being fitted with Wright Whirlwind J-6 engines and three bladed Hamilton propellers.He goes on to write "Conversion began in 1933 and by 1934 most re-engined aircraft also had Townsend ring cowls.".

MReyn24050
30th May 2018, 12:54
Is the high winged single engined aircraft on the left a Kalinin K-5?

SincoTC
30th May 2018, 18:34
Hi again Mel,

Hi. Thanks for that, when I zoomed the photograph it was not clear but fuzzy and I was not sure if it was a prop or an imperfection. Regarding the Trimotor in Bill Gunston's book "Tupolev Aircraft since 1922" there is a photograph of the prototype ANT-8 after being fitted with Wright Whirlwind J-6 engines and three bladed Hamilton propellers.He goes on to write "Conversion began in 1933 and by 1934 most re-engined aircraft also had Townsend ring cowls.".

That's interesting, I didn't know that and I don't recall ever seeing a photo of a Whirlwind powered one!

Thanks for the info and I think you're also correct regarding the high winged single engined aircraft on the left as being a Kalinin K-5

Regards,

Trevor

b1lanc
31st May 2018, 00:24
Thanks for the replies and clarifications. The three-bladed props always got me and I had not seen Gunston's book. This has been a curiosity since my mother first showed me the photograph 60 years ago. I hit the local library and the school library but of course no success (hard to even find any book on aircraft back then in either library).