PDA

View Full Version : HELP career dilemma??????

FRIDAY
24th Jul 2002, 18:46
I have always wanted to be a pilot for as long as I can remember, and have saved for years as many of you's have and finally have the cash to begin on a modular course at the end of the year.

HOWEVER, about this time last year I applied to a job advert for a position with the IAA as a student air traffic controller. I passed a few exams and appitude tests but that was it. I must admit I only applied for the interview for experience and appitude test experience. The other day I received a letter a year later asking me to go for a final "how do you do" and medical for the position as they needed more students then thought before,either that or a few dropped out.

If I wear to go for it and were lucky enough to get it, It would be purely to get my foot in the door in the industry and I would always be looking at getting the pilot job as soon as possible.
I am unsure only because of the current climate in pilot positions, and maybe this would give me the right connections.

I am 24 and the training takes a year or 2 and by the time I'd find time to flight train I would be in me 30's.
Alternatively Just stick with my original plan and start flight training at the end of the year in EFT, which offers the instructor position aswell so by the time I would be looking for a job it would be 3 years from now. I could walk into a job or be waiting years as is the likely hood.

I just do not want to end up in the ATC position wishing I had went into flight training earlier. Although ATC is a step in the right direction it lenghtens my time into the RHS.

Help Guys/Gals, any views???????????:confused: :confused:

Blindside
24th Jul 2002, 19:02
Don't count your chickens and all that....

Go for the ATC course, and if you get offered a place, then decide.
I'd probably keep my options open and embark on the course whilst doing a little bit of training on the side. It would certainly help you gain some connections and it appears that the training is the easy bit compared to landing the first job.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Best regards

Busterplane
25th Jul 2002, 13:14
Difficult one!

A friend got himself an AFISO ticket and worked his way through ATPLs with that and got a lot of contacts that way. did well too!
Worked at Blackbushe if memory serves me.
its an easy enough course. I would think.

Do the medical first though

Baldie Man
25th Jul 2002, 15:25
Agree with Maximus. I would imagine the course is tough and a true desire to get through might not even be enough. Unless you are totally dedicated to becoming an ATC you may end up feeling angry with the job and bitter. Far better to hand the chance down to the next chap on the list who may well see a career as an ATC the only thing in life he/she wants.

Being the same age as you and currently trapsing through the maze of commercial pilot training I can kind of put myself in your shoes. My advice then? Get cracking with the flying training, after all, that's where your heart is it would seem.

BM.