PDA

View Full Version : Fairfax Press Rubbish

Al E. Vator
20th May 2018, 23:26
Think I'll call BS on this being a genuine article by a 'real' person. I suspect some junior numpty in the Fairfax office (and others are no better) is employed to write rubbish like this to wind-up gullible readers like me and get reactions!

My initial reaction is of course, the writer is a complete wally (and perhaps truth-stretcher). If the A320 ‘knocked’ their deck ornament over it would be more than a mild inconvenience, it would be a collision with property and thus an emergency.

https://www.domain.com.au/living/i-live-under-a-flight-path-and-its-making-my-life-a-living-hell-20180520-h103fe/?utm_campaign=strap-masthead&utm_source=the-age&utm_medium=link&ref=pos1 (https://www.domain.com.au/living/i-live-under-a-flight-path-and-its-making-my-life-a-living-hell-20180520-h103fe/?utm_campaign=strap-masthead&utm_source=the-age&utm_medium=link&ref=pos1)

Reply 1: When was the airport established? When did you move in? How much cheaper was your apartment because it was near an airport? How stupid are you?

Smug pilot face...ON

Al E. Vator
20th May 2018, 23:28
No...Stephen Lacey appears to be a real person!

V-Jet
20th May 2018, 23:39
Funny they never really consider it's people just like the writers of these articles that cause the problem. Let's also not forget that said $250kpa Captain would FAR rather be in any bed at 0600 after a nights' sleep than having flown Bali bogans around all night.

I feel desperately sorry for anyone who purchased property anywhere in Sydney affected by aircraft noise prior to 1921 when Mascot was (I believe) 'opened'. They should be entitled to full and immediate compensation. Unfortunately, anyone who purchased after that year, was aware there was an airport and hence, knew the risks. yes airports are busier, but aircraft are also getting quieter.

Another thing these guys miss is the the flight path of either 16, 25 (particularly) and 07 covers some of the more expensive real estate in Sydney. Especially the entire North Shore and Eastern Suburbs.

t_cas
20th May 2018, 23:54
Classic inflammatory wind up gutter journalism.

More about perpetuating misconceptions and challenging the real world to stay in bed and order home delivered pizza.

Alpha Whiskey Bravo
20th May 2018, 23:58
When did the collective noun for aircraft become 'aircrafts'?

C441
21st May 2018, 00:51
Hey Stephen. If the $250K/year A330 Captain lives in Sydney he can only afford the place nextdoor.
The difference? He (and the bank) own it, not rent it. :rolleyes:

gordonfvckingramsay
21st May 2018, 00:57
Our Stephen Lacey appears jealous of our salaries and our "salubrious" living arrangements. Should have tried harder at school mate.

porch monkey
21st May 2018, 01:14
Well, it looks like a wind up, but you know what, I couldn’t give a toss, for the same reasons Espoused by the OP. Oh, and by the way Stephen, I am a pilot, and I DO fly over my own house. My kids love it!!! Tosspot.

neville_nobody
21st May 2018, 02:29
Twitter handle is @stephenlacey.

Funny how he thinks you can live in Bellevue hill on 250K a year!

From his own website:

Stephen Lacey: Whether it’s interviewing the CEO of a top 100 company, chatting with The Wiggles, or compiling a profile piece on the world’s greatest UFC fighter, Stephen Lacey is one of Australia's most respected writer/authors across a number of platforms, from content creation to journalism and creative writing. With 20 years' experience as a freelance journalist his subject matter is eclectic, covering everything from contemporary art, to travel, health, architecture, design, sustainability, business/finance, cycling and popular culture. His work has appeared in The Guardian, The Bulletin, South China Morning Post, Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, The Good Weekend (Fairfax), Traveller (SMH/The Age), Domain (SMH), Belle, Monument, Indesign, Habitus, Hemispheres (United Airlines inflight magazine), The Australian Way (Qantas international and domestic inflight magazine), Sawasdee (Thai Airways inflight magazine), Dynasty (China Airlines inflight magazine), and Silverkris (Singapore Airlines inflight magazine). Lacey has also earned the respect of editors for his insightful interviewing ability. Over the years, he has spoken with and compiled profile pieces on a number of prominent people - artists, designers, architects, politicians, sports-stars and film directors. He is a regular contributor to The Two of Us (The Good Weekend) one of Australia’s most loved pages. As a content marketer, Lacey provides high-level content to corporate clients. These clients include Toyota, Frasers Property, Stockland, World Wildlife Fund, Sydney Living Museums, LZF (Spain) Life Letters (genetic screening) and Lomax Financial Group. Lacey has also worked as a senior tutor in Journalism and Professional Writing at the University of Wollongong and as a lecturer in Creative Non-Fiction at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS).

He lives in a warehouse apartment in Annandale, in Sydney's Inner West with his family and their pugalier, Dexter

Pearly White
21st May 2018, 02:37
In fact, when I think about all those planes that fly over my house during a typical day, it really annoys me, because most of them don’t need to be up there wasting fuel and making a racket.

Business nowadays can be done from a laptop and your kitchen table, without the need to jet off to New York. And travel for fun is a contradiction in terms. Travel is tiring, expensive, and – thanks to Google Earth and Amazon – completely pointless.

Not sure how much fun you can have teleconferencing your holiday in Bali from an apartment in the western suburbs. At least you wouldn't get sunburnt.

Al E. Vator
21st May 2018, 02:43
This is Norman Stephen
blob:https://www.pprune.org/9f6c57aa-c0f6-4ee2-a87c-93723e4a366a

Pearly White
21st May 2018, 03:29
This is Norman Stephen
blob:https://www.pprune.org/9f6c57aa-c0f6-4ee2-a87c-93723e4a366a
You mean this picture from Twitter? (https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/627065788638195712/u-ZuDKfC_400x400.jpg) Funny how he wears aviators but hates aviation...

romeocharlie
21st May 2018, 03:35
Well gents (and ladies), I don't know about you - but the next time I land on curfew, I'm going to have a rather large, conceited smile on my face knowing I'll be waking this flog up. Almost worth the redeye just for that. :ok:

Pinky the pilot
21st May 2018, 03:51
The (excuse the expression) journalist should see a dietician ASAP.:=

I suspect that he is suffering from a severe lack of fibre in his diet.:hmm:

goodonyamate
21st May 2018, 03:55
Must have trained at the same ‘journalism’ school as GT!

Angle of Attack
21st May 2018, 03:56
I was looking for a date on that article because I was sure it was an April 1st wind-up?

gordonfvckingramsay
21st May 2018, 04:15
Published yesterday.

https://www.domain.com.au/news/author/stephen-lacey/

Transition Layer
21st May 2018, 04:33
...a lecturer in Creative Non-Fiction

i thought it was very creative, quite amusing and clearly tongue in cheek! Sometimes you guys take yourselves too seriously

C441
21st May 2018, 06:07
Maybe he was trying to distinguish himself from his sensationalist column scrawler colleagues who write the "We'ze thought we'ze were gunna die so we took a selfie….." articles.
If so he was only partly successful!

dr dre
21st May 2018, 06:29
Another thing these guys miss is the the flight path of either 16, 25 (particularly) and 07 covers some of the more expensive real estate in Sydney. Especially the entire North Shore and Eastern Suburbs.

Yeah it's funny how those who live underneath the not so affluent area directly under final approach for R23 in Adelaide where you can see the individual pieces of washing on the lines in the backyards seconds before touchdown never seem to complain about the noise, or maybe that they do and no one wants to listen to them?

There's also residential areas in Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne a similar distance from the runway threshold as Annandale in Sydney, again not so well off areas so no one's listening to them. I guess the residents of the Inner West need something to prevent those housing values from plummeting?

neville_nobody
21st May 2018, 07:00
I would suggest there is a concerted effort to apply consistant political pressure to close Kingsford Smith altogether.

Of course nothing to do with the astronomical financial windfall to be made by all those NIMBYs.

hyg
21st May 2018, 09:48
The writer has got to be sarcastic right? it almost look like someone taking the piss at someone who's complaining about noise.....

Pinky the pilot
21st May 2018, 10:20
The writer has got to be sarcastic right? it almost look like someone taking the piss at someone who's complaining about noise.....

Normally I would agree with that hyg. However, given that it came from a Fairfax writer, I wouldn't be surprised if it was supposed to be taken as fact!

I once heard someone refer to Fairfax publishing as being the Aussie version of The Guardian. Now that might possibly have been sarcastic but.....:confused:

777Nine
21st May 2018, 11:32
Left leaning sensationalist journalism at its finest. Anyone familiar with Lilyfield knows that it's directly under the flight path to the approach of 16R. I'm in a small apartment complex and yeah, it's a bit loud if the doors are open but you get used to it.

Roof hasn't caved in nor has anything fallen over.

Further to that, used to live in Haberfield and would get the jets taking off. Roof used to rattle a bit, but again, you get used to it.

stormfury
21st May 2018, 11:54
Habitus, Hemispheres (United Airlines inflight magazine), The Australian Way (Qantas international and domestic inflight magazine), Sawasdee (Thai Airways inflight magazine), Dynasty (China Airlines inflight magazine), and Silverkris (Singapore Airlines inflight magazine).

He hates pilots, ergo airlines, but he’s happy to accept their money to fund his inner-west avo-on-toast lifestyle.

Di_Vosh
22nd May 2018, 07:15
What Transition Layer said.

The article is a bit of a wind-up. Might be a bit hard for some of you to read the sarcasm.

Bigger things to get worked up about.

DIVOSH!

Buster Hyman
22nd May 2018, 07:19
Saw the headline & refused to read it. Usual BS I suspect so....

Anyway, I'm personally looking forward to the furor when they eventually open Tulla's third runway. :ok:

nonsense
22nd May 2018, 07:51
I feel desperately sorry for anyone who purchased property anywhere in Sydney affected by aircraft noise prior to 1921 when Mascot was (I believe) 'opened'. They should be entitled to full and immediate compensation.
Outright buyback at whatever price they paid seems fair. Obviously at $2 to £1 to be completely fair.

Left leaning sensationalist journalism at its finest.
See you read this and thought it was a serious lefty, whereas I read it and thought surely anything this puerile must be that Danny Katz guy who writes pretty much exactly this kind of rot on any topic for them because that's what they pay him to write!

Yes, it's rubbish, but it's rubbish humour, not rubbish politics.

cattletruck
22nd May 2018, 10:38
It is not even that. They are just puff pieces used to fill in all those extra supplements that come with the weekend editions. Even worse, it was a Sunday edition which employs practice journalism.

In this case, domain.com.au sells because it contains Saturday's house auction results, the rest is usually worthy of the recycle bin.

AerocatS2A
23rd May 2018, 00:07
When did the collective noun for aircraft become 'aircrafts'?
It’s been creeping in slowly over the last 10 years or so. You’d think a journalist would know better, but no.

LostProperty
23rd May 2018, 06:13
It’s been creeping in slowly over the last 10 years or so. You’d think a journalist would know better, but no.

Yeah and most of them also call a dunny "the bathroom" and there are not many lifts these days just elevators.

LeadSled
23rd May 2018, 23:53
Folks,
Just another journalist, like two out of three of the recent Ministers responsible for aviation.
Tootle pip!!

Pinky the pilot
24th May 2018, 10:34
Ok, we've all (me too) had our comment re the article concerned, but one thing really does bother me re one thing this idiot said in his article. Now, even if he indeed was just being sarcastic/satirical/whatever... has anyone actually written to the Fairfax paper concerned and challenged this or any/all of his article, specifically the part quoted below?

One of the planes – an Airbus A320 – came in so low the landing gear knocked our flamingo over.

Just keep in mind that unfortunately there exists in society today some people who are stupid enough to actually believe that statement, even if it was made as a wind up!:=

And what is even worse; They can vote!:eek: And breed! Of which is the worse I have no idea.