View Full Version : Adventures in OZ

thecoltster
17th Jun 2001, 17:45
This has probably been asked countless times before so I'll cut right to the chase.
I'm mad keen to hire and build 30 odd hours Single this Summer. I and one of my mates (also keen for some hours) are considering doing some big flights over there so were wandering whether or not there are places out there that would let a CAA PPL IMC Night lad hire a plane for a couple of weeks.
Can't find a thread that answers my question specifically so if anyone does know if this is possible and what the procedure is with licences etc I'd be really grateful. Also I need a multi rating some time, is there any JAA approved places or as they are ICAO does anyone know anywhere decent?

Cheers in advance,

COLT

[This message has been edited by thecoltster (edited 17 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by thecoltster (edited 17 June 2001).]

redsnail
17th Jun 2001, 21:27
There isn't much hassle with a UK PPL in Oz. I can't remember CASA's webby off the top of my head but it's very informative re licences and so forth.
With regards hiring an aeroplane, shouldn't be too difficult. You may need to do a check ride of some sorts just to keep the insurers happy. Trust me, either get a GPS or make sure your visual nav skills are up to speed. There is a lot of Oz to get lost in.
Having said that, pick somewhere interesting and challenging. Flying up the coast is too easy. :)

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

N.P.H
17th Jun 2001, 21:31
thecolster

Ive already looked into this and it seems straight forward. First checkout this website http://www.casa.gov.au this is the official Oz CAA type website, loads of info on converting your licence. An easy way is to take your licence with some ID and your log book and medical certificate, fill out form213( http://www.casa.gov.au/prod/manuals/regulate/fcl/form213.pdf can be found on the website and downloaded, its in pdf format)take this and about 50 aus dollars to a local CASA office and they will issue a special pilots licence see: http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fcl_lic/overbr.htm valdating your licence and ratings in Oz. This requires no tests or exams, but it is only vald for about 3 or 6 months. I strongly rcommend looking around the casa website as it has loads of info on flying in oz with procedures and RT examples, particulaly look for VFR flight guides these are excellent.

Then just find a suitable aero club to rent an aircraft and get a normal CFI checkout and off you go. As a suggestion you could try http://www.yellowpages.com.au/ then do a search on aero clubs and choose what city or state/territory you will be going to, then just give them a call. Also you could put up a post in dunnado and Godzone for an aero club.

Hope this answers your question,

[This message has been edited by N.P.H (edited 17 June 2001)editted to fix the web links.]

[This message has been edited by N.P.H (edited 17 June 2001).]

Kagamuga
18th Jun 2001, 09:05
the coltster,

Check out a previous posting by Kanga in Wannabees, good info included there which will suit you.

Charlie Foxtrot India
18th Jun 2001, 17:54
In addition to NPH's post, do a yellow pages search on "flying schools" rather than "aero clubs".
CASA will issue a Certificate of Validation based on your overseas licence which is valid for 3 months or when your overseas medical runs out, whichever comes first. Then you have to do an Aeroplane Flight Review with an apporoved instructor, doesn't have to be a CFI, but can be any Grade One or a Grade Two with CFI approval to conduct reviews. This flight will failiarise you with local procedures, some of which are a bit wierd, and will usally involve airspace entry and exit procedures as well as what you would expect on a skills test in terms of flying technique and aircraft handling in a rather different environment than you may be used to particularly in terms of temperature (density altitudes, leaning mixtures etc). If all is well then you get the stamp in your logbook and off you go. Ask the school about good places to go and visit. Although the coast is easy, it is much more scenic than some of the inland areas, beautiful though they are. Don't be afraid to ask for an instructor's help with your flight planning, and most of all have a great time!