View Full Version : Near miss nr EGKK this morning

EGLD
24th Jul 2002, 16:58
2 BMI aircraft came within 2 miles of each other 25 miles east of LGW

being reported by Sky, but not on their website yet

What_does_this_button_do?
24th Jul 2002, 17:40
from news.bbc.co.uk

The pilots of two passenger jets had to take evasive action when they were involved in a near miss over south-east England, it has been revealed.
BMI British Midland confirmed that two of its planes came within one-and-a-half miles of each other as they flew from Heathrow.

Safety rules state that aircraft should be at least five miles apart.

The near miss is being blamed on a mistake by an aircraft controller at West Drayton.

There were a total of 148 people on board the two planes.

One was travelling to Paris and the other to Brussels when the incident occurred about 20 miles east of Gatwick airport on Tuesday.

It is understood that the pilots of both aircraft took action after receiving warnings from a controller at West Drayton and from their automatic collision avoidance systems.

The airline and National Air Traffic Services have both filed safety reports.

The Civil Aviation Authority will now investigate the incident.

5milesbaby
24th Jul 2002, 19:50
Another classic media accuracy.

If they were 20 miles East of LGW, then the Paris one would be inbound LHR, not outbound.

The minimum separation in that area is 3 nm.

Seriph
24th Jul 2002, 20:47
It's obviously the fashion at the moment to drag up any scare ATC story going. Remember many years ago a spate of attacks by guard dogs, every day for a couple of weeks the press had stories of horrendous attacks by vicious dogs suddenly though they all started to behave and we never heard another thing. Funny that.

Wheelybin
24th Jul 2002, 23:52
Well Ive heard ATC being compared to the policemen of the sky, But Guard-dogs!!:)

Baldie Man
25th Jul 2002, 15:46
Made front cover of the Daily Mail today.

"....the planes' emergency systems were triggered"

TCAS warning then? :rolleyes:

fmgc
29th Jul 2002, 22:37
What is more concerning was that there were only 148 pax on them, what is happening at BMI?

Kalium Chloride
29th Jul 2002, 22:42
I was a passenger on a small regional transport today along with 50 others when I suddenly realised we were hurtling along on an obvious collision course with a similar transport at the same altitude.

We would have struck each other for sure if, at the last moment, an electronic device hadn't told us to take avoiding action seconds before impact.

I'd have reported it but the CAA apparently doesn't deal with the number 77 bus, or the traffic lights. :rolleyes:

Traffic Magnet
29th Jul 2002, 23:04
I like your sense of humour.:D

ComJam
30th Jul 2002, 11:18
Kalium Chloride,

if, at the last moment, an electronic device hadn't told us to take avoiding action seconds before impact.

Would that be TBUS then? :D