PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Helicopters to pitch H135 to USN RE TH-57 replacement

chopper2004
17th May 2018, 21:37
Well this competition has been going on for a while with Bell pitching the 407GX(P) - they painted up one up in training colors a few years back for the NHA fly in at Pensacola. Leonardo is pitching the TH-119K and Airbus Helicopters with the H135. It is a weird one - surprised they are not promoting the UH-72A becauase there are several examples with USNTPS at Pax River. On the army side, its already at Fort Rucker doing IERW.

There is an USN exchange instructor pilot with the German Marineflieger EC135 of MFG-5

So any thoughts or bets here?

cheers

Airbus to Pitch H135 as US Navy Trainer Replacement - Rotor & Wing International (http://www.rotorandwing.com/2018/05/17/airbus-pitch-h135-us-navy-trainer-replacement/)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/970/27306364857_9db4f20d44_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/949/41456964664_d6d8c07197_z.jpg

NutLoose
18th May 2018, 21:30
I must admit I am surprised they haven't gone for a commonality of fleets but the US services are renowned for not going down that route. The Lakota seems to be doing well and I would have thought there must be some commonality between spares. It's just a shame the US seems to have lost the plot in development and seem to have sat on their hands relying on last generation designs while the rest of the world have moved on.

SASless
18th May 2018, 21:41
How many retired US Army Generals sit on the Airbus Board of Directors?

How many retired US Army Generals sit on the Textron (say Bell....) Board of Directors?

Lonewolf_50
19th May 2018, 16:27
I must admit I am surprised they haven't gone for a commonality of fleets but the US services are renowned for not going down that route. The Lakota seems to be doing well and I would have thought there must be some commonality between spares. It's just a shame the US seems to have lost the plot in development and seem to have sat on their hands relying on last generation designs while the rest of the world have moved on.
The replacement for TH-57, as a project involving NAVAIR and the training command is over 10 years old. Cost as a variable is a rule in re acquisition programs that is not allowed to be ignored. The Navy has gotten away cheap for over three decades on an FAA waiver for the instrument bit with the TH-57, but discovered some years ago that they were not going to be able to rely on that anymore. When confronted with the bill, or real costs on a number of models, the back channel I got was that various people balked at having to actually pay for a capability that is required in the training syllabus.
Been a few years since my old buddy was involved in that program, so I am not sure what has gone on since ... but little to be happy about seems to me the way it's been playing.
A single engine trainer seems to me the better idea, in terms of cost to operate, given how good engine reliability has become. I am of course biased, since I learned on TH-57 and Huey's, so I developed that "where is my next landing field" attitude while flying since it was drilled into our heads. A bit of paranoia is healthy, among helicopter pilots, eh?

racedo
19th May 2018, 17:19
Bets is Airbus win contract but it is then called in again to relook at it over some unspecified reason in page 976 in the contract and then awarded to a US Manufacturer who happily provides political support to various candidates.