PDA

View Full Version : Turboprop captain or Jet FO?

drsd
17th May 2018, 14:11
Im currently working as a FO on a medium turboprop. I have the possibility of either staying and becoming a captain in less than a year or moving on to FO on a CRJ900.

On the one hand I work for a great company but it's not a long term career company so maybe I should just move on to a jet?
I'm quite torn here, any input would be greatly appretiated.

redsnail
17th May 2018, 19:00
It's a very personal thing. Where do you want to be? Is your dream to be a wide body captain flying long haul or are you aiming for something different? In the past I would have said command is king/queen, but - in Europe, jet time is king. Although, of course, the next job you want will want time in 40 tonne or 60 tonne jets... etc... Decide what's important and keep a weather eye on the economic cycle.

rudestuff
18th May 2018, 01:47
Jet.

TP Captain is golden handcuffs - good for the ego short term, but after that realistically the only way into a jet is a pay cut.

parkfell
18th May 2018, 05:45
As ever it is entirely a personal choice.
By proving yourself capable of LHS on a turboprop is an important milestone. You are demonstrating command potential which is something any future operator is looking for. So spending say a year LHS has some merit. I am assuming no bonding etc to move seat. You might want to think about whether training has any appeal given your previous experience?

Job satisfaction is probably something else to consider if you really have a passion for aviation.

There is a maximum sensible age when a move to jet probably has to be made if that is still your long term goal.

There is no correct answer to the question you ask. Weigh it all up; don't make any rash decisions; talk to your friends; and keep enjoying it.

drsd
18th May 2018, 10:19
Thanks for the input. My long term goal is to end up captain on a medium haul jet company so I'm leaning towards switching to Jet.
But like was mentioned I was also thinking that a year or two of command time would help me with an upgrade in the future.

To make my decision harder, the company I work for is going through a lot of changes which will probably make way more fun in the near future.

Sirijus
19th May 2018, 08:33
Jet.

TP Captain is golden handcuffs - good for the ego short term, but after that realistically the only way into a jet is a pay cut.

and of course a move to the right. Well said!