View Full Version : Unit costs for flights

rez125
16th May 2018, 11:55
Hi all,

i know I'm in the wrong area but does anybody know where I can find specs for volume of cabins on a B777 and A320?

I'm doing an assignment on unit costs based on seats and we need to establish the volume of the passenger area for each aircraft so we can then apportion the costs between F, W & Y. The lecture notes has a B747 at 384 cubic metres but I cannot find that stated anywhere!!

If anybody has any ideas or can point me in the right direction for calculating anything cost-related for flights i'll be eternally grateful.

Cheers

airspace alpha
17th May 2018, 05:21
I wonder how your lecturer would mark this if you submitted your assignment with the reference (Harvard reference style guide etc) of "Pprune" for this information!
A quick Google of "B777 interior volume" brings up quite a number of useful websites but in any case I don't think any airline uses interior volume as a metric in determining seat numbers or unit costs. Interior floor space for certain, maximum seat pitch determined by class of service; space allocated to toilets, galleys, emergency exits, width of available cabin- all these things yes but total cabin volume? Unless of course you are Ryanair and plan on putting in a "sardine" class.

smiling monkey
17th May 2018, 06:34
I have no idea but this article may help.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/casm.asp

rez125
17th May 2018, 06:36
Haha, no worries using Pprune as a reference!

This is an exerpt of the course notes:

Operating costs (AOC). For example over three long haul routes the analysis showed: Total AOC Pax Freight % % % % B747-400 Route 1 100 71.3 26.6 2.1 Route 2 100 69.8 28.9 1.3 Route 3 100 71.0 28.3 0.7

The next step is to allocate the AOC's to each product. This can be done a few ways but the most popular is to use volume. In a B747 for instance the volume of the passenger cabin can be measured to 384 cubic metres, and the freight volume to 101 cu.m. Therefore 101 divide by 485 or 21% is the allocation of AOC's to freight. The allocation of the remaining 79% of AOC to the passenger cabin is done according to the floor space taken up by each class including their dedicated toilet, storage and galley space. Note that this means the class that has more toilets and space will attract more costs. A B747 aircraft that has 12 First (F) class, 50 Business (C) class and 320 Economy (Y) class shows the following space allocation. Also the specific passenger costs (from the above analysis of passenger costs) was further broken into the specific class of travel (ie. the first class meals were costed to the first class cabin etc). The table below s based on information not in the manual. Percentage of Pax cost of AOC of seats First class 6 % 8.0% 3% Business class 14.2 % 13.5% 10.8% Economy Class 78.9 % 57.5% 85.6% 100.0% 79.0% 100.0% There is an analysis of costing in the Suggested IATA Reading. Consider the relationship of passenger yield and cost per ASK, and the concept of a breakeven seat factor (or breakeven load factor when looking at freight or the total load of the aircraft.

I'm at a loss as to how to figure this all out!

Rated De
17th May 2018, 06:48
Check email :)

rez125
17th May 2018, 12:35
Check email :)

I can't see any emails?!

Atlas Shrugged
18th May 2018, 05:06
Hi all,

i know I'm in the wrong area but

So, why are you here.....??? Wouldn't common sense dictate that you post in the right area........

FFS!

rez125
18th May 2018, 05:54
Obviously I couldn't find said area or I would have.

Thank you for your help though... really constructive.

Bend alot
18th May 2018, 08:16
Obviously I couldn't find said area or I would have.

Thank you for your help though... really constructive.

I am with you.

But looking for areas on PPRuNe, but needing volumes is a reason for a NOTAM.

I agree floor area is important - height is not a real problem, as a by product of your aircraft types has ample.

PoppaJo
18th May 2018, 08:27
Interesting piece on AirAsia.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/gadfly/articles/2016-11-24/airasia-s-new-lease-of-life

rez125
24th May 2018, 21:58
Thank you for all that tried to help - let's see how we go!