PDA

View Full Version : Flight Tracking

EGLD
24th Jul 2002, 14:00
Hello

I used to subscribe to Flight Explorer some years back, then one day they stopped showing UK flights

I contacted some government or transport department as Flight Explorer instructed, and they said there were plans for a UK designed/hosted system for aviation enthusiasts as well as aviation related companies

Since, all trace of it has disappeared, it was something like flightpathuk.com or similar. Anyone have any info on this and why they decided we couldnt be trusted with this info, even though the US has access to their data?

:mad:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Jul 2002, 14:20
Lots of things are free in Heaven... sorry, the USA.... but over here we have to pay. Last I heard was that it would be a subscription arrangement and I lost interest at that point. It's just like weather info - plenty of it free in the States but here in blighty we have to pay through the nose!

EGLD
24th Jul 2002, 14:28
Hi

My problem isnt with the cost, as I believe Flight Explorer is nothing but a subcription service anyway

However, no-one gets to see flights over UK airspace without express permission from some organisation over here (not sure which) and that won't be granted unless they have a specific need to see that information, such as an Airline or similar

Whereas, in the US, you need only be willing to pay the subscription to have access to the data

I just wondered whether anyone knew why the flightpathuk.com seems to have been abandoned, and why we cant access UK data like those in the US can access data there

Seems to me someone saw it as a revenue oppurtunity, took away Flight Explorers rights to display that info, and then realised they dont have the means to provide a system

Superpilot
24th Jul 2002, 20:33
EGLD, I used to use the following link: http://212.240.135.5/ to find out the latest on FlightPathUK but it appears the website is now down. The last message I read was something along the lines of "due to so and so problems we have decided to postpone the launch of this service..." they didn't say for how long though.

Ex Servant
24th Jul 2002, 20:58
FightPathUk appeared to be being developed until 9/11 when it would seem to have been shelved. Real shame for those of us with a genuine interest but I can understand why, same as flight deck visits I suppose. As usual the minority have spoilt it for the majority.

Hamrah
25th Jul 2002, 19:19
We use the corporate version of Flight Explorer to monitor our flights. A bit costly but well worth it. It shows all of UK/Ireland and about 150 miles radius into Europe.

H