PDA

View Full Version : Aussie PPL and going to NZ to get an endorsement

Okihara
15th May 2018, 02:19
Most schools on the South Island have a mountain flying endorsement.
Would anyone know if and how an endorsement issued by a NZ school can be acknowledged by CASA. That's on an Aussie PPL?

drpixie
15th May 2018, 04:33
Most schools on the South Island have a mountain flying endorsement.
Would anyone know if and how an endorsement issued by a NZ school can be acknowledged by CASA. That's on an Aussie PPL?

No such thing here as a mountain flying endorsement, so it's never going to appear on your Australian license.

Okihara
15th May 2018, 10:21
What would be the standard way to get overseas flight training recognised back in Australia? Generally speaking that is, not just mountain flying.

Tankengine
15th May 2018, 11:47
What would be the standard way to get overseas flight training recognised back in Australia? Generally speaking that is, not just mountain flying.
Contact CASA for a start!

mattyj
15th May 2018, 11:51
There’s no use for a mountain flying course when you get back to Aus...!?

Pinky the pilot
15th May 2018, 14:17
I don't recall ever even hearing of any such thing as a 'mountain flying endorsement' in PNG!

Routes and strips were another matter.

AerocatS2A
16th May 2018, 11:49
I could be wrong but I don't think the NZ mountain flying course is a recognised NZCAA course, however the scenic operators like you to have done one. It's not something that can be transferred because it's not an official endorsement in the first place.

For other endorsements, CASA seem to be happy with a certified copy of the relevant page in your logbook and filling out a form for a change to your Part 61 licence.

Okihara
16th May 2018, 22:17
@Aerocat: much obliged!

AerocatS2A
17th May 2018, 01:25
I don't recall ever even hearing of any such thing as a 'mountain flying endorsement' in PNG!

Routes and strips were another matter.
I imagine you would've just covered it along the way. Things like crossing ridge lines on windy days, turning around in valleys, that sort of thing.

drnic
21st May 2018, 04:57
In USA there was no "mountain endorsement" with FAA either, but flight rental clubs in California introduced their own concept of "mountain endorsement" that was transferrable between clubs thru good will. I believe the reason for the additional "mountain endorsement" concept was that the Sierra Mountains were too far away to include in standard PPL training; but were a place that new pilots all wanted to fly too once they had their PPL (Lake Tahoe, etc).