PDA

View Full Version : Home defibrillator

Porto Pete
14th May 2018, 16:38
I spend a lot of time by the sea in pursuit of one of my hobbies, Kitesurfing.

Some time ago an acquaintance lost her life by drowning after being swept under a wave by strong currents and becoming entangled in her equipment. The details of what happened afterwards are somewhat unclear through the fog of war but in essence it seems like CPR and the arrival of medical equipment took a very long time for a variety of reasons.

I've spent a great deal of time dwelling on how things might have turned out differently as one does after these incidents. I'm not sure if it's a type of instinct that wants to go back in time and change the outcome or an idea to prepare for the worst if something like that ever happens again but I've been wondering about the wisdom of purchasing a small defibrillator as part of an expanded first aid kit.

Home Defibs start around the €1200 mark from Philips and other companies. Is this something worth having? Are they effective despite their small size? Is this something you would do if you could afford it?

Radgirl
14th May 2018, 17:22
An interesting question PP

The best thing you can purchase is knowledge - first aid, basic life support, up to advanced life support. Some will tell you only doctors and nurses should do the latter - rubbish

When you understand what can be done, and most importantly what YOU can do, you can decide on your kit. I doubt a defib would help with drowning but a method of ventilation with what are called supraglottic airways would - also much cheaper :ok:

A defibrillator is specifically used for correcting ventricular fibrillation - basically after a heart attack. You may also see this after electrocution but that is all. If a defib is used out of hospital by a bystander, survival increases from 8% to 30% so it really is important.

They were first attached to lamposts in the late 1970s in Seattle, saving many lives. You now see them in shopping centres and rail stations in Europe. Whether you need your own depends on your assessment of risk and whether you can get your community to buy one

Very happy to suggest items if you send me a PM

gingernut
22nd May 2018, 19:35
Porto, pretty much as Radgirl say's.

I guess, the main question here, is, could you acquaintances life have been saved by a defibrillator ?

Without knowing the full facts. it's difficult to say, but just on the few points you've posted on here, it sounds like the unfortunate incident was so catastrophic, that nothing actually would have saved her.

Defibrillators have their place, but actually, they are worthless without basic cpr skills,