PDA

View Full Version : Puma building Emley Moor (TV mast) v2!

AdamB28
14th May 2018, 09:27
I haven't seen this done too many times before - so others may find it interesting too.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RClJvw-0Oj4&t=606s

(I can't post links until 10 posts :( )

Skip to 10 mins in for the good stuff.

AdamB28
14th May 2018, 15:46
As a further note, it turns out from a Facebook group I read that there's a single pilot involved in this work.

I'm only a PPL-to-be so not sure on the logistics of commercial work like this...but I would have thought it was the kind of role that required multiple pilots. One to look down and navigate the load in to position safely and one to fly the machine.

oldbeefer
14th May 2018, 19:14
Doing that job at that height with a good pilot, good crewman is very tricky. To do it only using mirrors, I would say, is brilliant. I only have 3.5k hours on Puma, but I would struggle!

AdamB28
14th May 2018, 19:35
Yes - incredible work. I read on the group I got the video from that he's been in the game 20-odd years so he's probably on here somewhere!!

Same again
15th May 2018, 14:19
Vertical Reference Long Line is a skill that takes time to learn. I did a bit in PNG with a 200 foot line to jungle clearings and drill sites but that is easy compared with what that pilot is doing. Precision long lining to that degree with little in the way of references would take 20 years to perfect. Hats off.

sycamore
15th May 2018, 14:43
Crewman may be in the cabin,looking thru` the hatch...

Fareastdriver
15th May 2018, 15:27
The longliners I have known around the world prefer using big windows and a mirror. They can see what is going on compared with the delay with somebody talking you on. The pilots I am referring to were loggers, power line and air conditioning unit emplacers.

roybert
16th May 2018, 14:01
The longliners I have known around the world prefer using big windows and a mirror. They can see what is going on compared with the delay with somebody talking you on. The pilots I am referring to were loggers, power line and air conditioning unit emplacers.

If you look at the video at about the 12 minute mark the video shows a close up with a head leaning out into a bubble window on the right of the cockpit area.

Roybert