PDA

View Full Version : University Funding

Jambo Jet
14th May 2018, 07:16
I know this will only apply to a few of you but I thought it worth mentioning. I joined the RAF from a Scottish address many moons ago, since then all of my service has been south of the Border or overseas. This year my daughter applied to Edinburgh University, amongst others.
She applied to the SAAS for fees, loans etc. There is a well hidden document http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/armed_forces.pdf which explains the process.

Bottom line is she has her University Fees paid for, and on top of that a living bursary of 6k a year for accommodation, living expenses etc. Other than spending money for food and whatever students need these days, she should finish University in 4 years debt free!

I found out this whilst I was doing an OU course a few years back, where I argued that even though I had lived in England for many years I should be paying the Scottish fees to OU. I got a nice fat refund of fees!

Hope it is of help to some of you.... If it is common knowledge then soz..

Bob Viking
14th May 2018, 10:58
After all this time, someone has finally discovered a good reason to live in Scotland.

Who’d have thought it?!

BV

😈

charliegolf
14th May 2018, 16:18
After all this time, someone has finally discovered a good reason to live in Scotland.

Who’d have thought it?!

BV

��

That's rich coming from a bloke who chooses to live in, 'the North'!:ok:

CG (from, the South)

Bob Viking
14th May 2018, 17:14
Guilty as charged. Although originally I’m from about as far South in Britain as you can get (Dorset). Anything North of the M4 is ‘oop North’ in my book.

BV

Red Line Entry
15th May 2018, 07:08
Pah! Northerners begin at Exmouth!

PDR1
15th May 2018, 08:17
I believe the generally accepted view is that the Wall is located along the path of the M4 (projected from coast to coast). So the Iron Throne (seat of the King of the Seven Kingdoms) is located near Arundel, the Warden of the North resides in Windsor. So everything north of Bracknell/Reading/Slough/Newbury etc is Wildling territory, over-run with the walking dead, white walkers and white dragons.
HTH,

PDR

teeteringhead
15th May 2018, 11:45
No - t'North begins at Edgware. There's a sign as one leaves London clearly stating "A1 - Edgware and the North"

(Although as a born and bred Sarf Londoner, I always thought the Thames was the border.......)

ACW418
15th May 2018, 16:49
No it starts at Watford. I know because all on my crew were from south of Watford and I was a Cheshire lad. Two Navigators couldn't be wrong!

ACW

Ormeside28
15th May 2018, 21:48
I once had a Yorkshire Navigator who reckoned that Eskimo started north of Stockton a W—S south of Bawtry. And he was ea good Nav!!

BEagle
15th May 2018, 22:03
I reckon that a straight line drawn between Fosdyke Bridge and Welshpool marks the English border between 't Nawrth and the Saarf…

Blacksheep
16th May 2018, 12:56
My uncle (Mam's brother) worked on the railways and was transferred from North Eastern Region. Mam said of him "Our Billie's slung his hook and moved down the South".
His new depot was in....

....Leeds. :}

heights good
18th May 2018, 16:47
Truly intrigued, does this count for part time distance learning courses as well?

Fareastdriver
18th May 2018, 17:58
Today's bit of useless information.

China is divided by the government into North and South, the demarcation line being the Yangtze River. As a result of this only government offices in the North of China are heated during the winter. In a city like Wuhan, which straddles the Yangtze, all the government offices are on the north side, as is most of the commerce for the same reason. Shanghai is another example where all the banks and business were erected on the north side of the river, the same in Chongqing and Luzhao.

Modern heating and insulation has taken the chill off modern buildings so now they are spreading south.

heights good
18th May 2018, 20:29
Today's bit of useless information.

China is divided by the government into North and South, the demarcation line being the Yangtze River. As a result of this only government offices in the North of China are heated during the winter. In a city like Wuhan, which straddles the Yangtze, all the government offices are on the north side, as is most of the commerce for the same reason. Shanghai is another example where all the banks and business were erected on the north side of the river, the same in Chongqing and Luzhao.

Modern heating and insulation has taken the chill off modern buildings so now they are spreading south.

Have I missed something?!?

Melchett01
19th May 2018, 18:38
I believe the generally accepted view is that the Wall is located along the path of the M4 (projected from coast to coast). So the Iron Throne (seat of the King of the Seven Kingdoms) is located near Arundel, the Warden of the North resides in Windsor. So everything north of Bracknell/Reading/Slough/Newbury etc is Wildling territory, over-run with the walking dead, white walkers and white dragons.
HTH,

PDR

As a Mancunian I have to say anyone south of Manchester is a shandy swilling soft southerner. Ask yourself - do you put a coat on when it rains? Do you turn the heating up to full when it drops below 18 degrees outside? Do you insist on waiting until the temperature gets above 25 before you’ll have a BBQ?

All hallmarks if soft southern Jessies! 😆

BEagle
20th May 2018, 07:47
At least we cook recognisable meat on a barbi', rather than the tails, trotters, tusks and testicles which seem to be a hallmark of cuisine oop t'Nawth…..tha knaws. ;)