PDA

View Full Version : Load slinging in the Brecons

The Nr Fairy
13th May 2018, 09:08
Interesting article - and even more interesting 360 degree video - of load slinging operations in support of repairing a path on Pen y Fan.

BBC News - Eroded Pen y Fan path repaired using helicopter power (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-44075921)

SuperF
13th May 2018, 13:01
Someone should tell them that round loads fly much better.

Flyting
13th May 2018, 16:35
A cement bucket would be much more effective with the guy on the ground being able to walk with the bucket pushing it along the pathway and spreading the gravel (as it empties as aposed to one pile on the path).... and as SuperF said, would fly much better!!!

Hughes500
13th May 2018, 18:03
builders dumpy bag with opening at the bottom !

icedriver
16th May 2018, 23:46
I reckon it’s not a bad system as from what I can see you don’t need any ground crews to empty the bin. If this is the case the aircraft can be dumping gravel in multiple places while crews are working on spreading.

SuperF
17th May 2018, 21:29
I reckon it’s not a bad system as from what I can see you don’t need any ground crews to empty the bin. If this is the case the aircraft can be dumping gravel in multiple places while crews are working on spreading.
Agreed it looks like a good system, however you can have a self dumping round bucket as well. The benefits of a cylinder is that they just fly far smoother, therefore you can fly faster. If you are just getting paid by the hour and there is no competition then that is probably fine. But if you are trying to be as fast, and efficient as possible then every few seconds that you can save per load adds up in the long run.

icedriver
18th May 2018, 07:38
Agreed it looks like a good system, however you can have a self dumping round bucket as well. The benefits of a cylinder is that they just fly far smoother, therefore you can fly faster. If you are just getting paid by the hour and there is no competition then that is probably fine. But if you are trying to be as fast, and efficient as possible then every few seconds that you can save per load adds up in the long run.

Agreed SuperF.