PDA

View Full Version : EK and my company comparison

choi3ed
11th May 2018, 11:59
Hello Gentlemen I am going to write as objectively and accurately as I possibly can.
I am trying to compare which is a better place to be. EK or my current company. I am typed on a B777.
I am open to anyone's opinions and/or suggestions, feel free to write.

EK: My:
1. Bidding system (flawed but still exists) 1. No bidding system at all, my SKD is random.
2. Fairly quick RGT to LFT PIC upgrade (not sure of time) 2. 12 yrs to become a Narrow body PIC (RGT to LFT on different A/C) then 2~3yrs of that then WB.
3. Actual salary (not sure) 8100 USD/mo ??? 3. Actual average pay 6600 USD.
4. Days off/ Leave very POOR. EK doesn't give whats advertised. 4 Very good, 10 day offs a month, and if you ask the chief pilot nicely you can tag on more annual leave days to those days off.
5. A lot of INTL destinations. 5. A lot of INTL destinations.
6. First name basis between PIC and FO (from what I hear) 6. Not first name basis between (PIC &FO)
7. Job Security (not sure) 7. Job security, good because of high attrition rate of pilots.
8. ID90 (but can't see the pax load in advance/ also not sure) 8. ID90, Economy only, but can get an ID of how full flight is.
9. Housing allowance / can opt out for the money instead. 9. company assisted housing (only for newly weds) in the ghetto.
10. A lot of micromanaging from the boss, constant policy changes 10. A lot of micromanaging from the boss, constant policy changes
11. Gives pilots a hard time for adding extra fuel. (not sure) 11. No problem at all if we add more fuel.

Any opinions would be welcomed.

Thank you for reading.

dustyflightdeck
11th May 2018, 12:03
Ek just made a $1+ bn USD profit and despite there being a desperate need of pilots, they decided to give us a pay CUT. Just imagine what the next few years are going to be like. This place has just gone off the edge of the cliff

choi3ed
11th May 2018, 12:08
Ek just made a $1+ bn USD profit and despite there being a desperate need of pilots, they decided to give us a pay CUT. Just imagine what the next few years are going to be like. This place has just gone off the edge of the cliff
Thank you for that info.

Dirigible
11th May 2018, 12:23
A bad day to ask. All extremely pissed of with the insult delivered yesterday. Greed pervades here, but its quite simple, you can't have an airline with your aircraft collecting dust (literally) on the ground. Interesting times ahead. Strange that you appear fixated on EK (you started another thread with a similar question just yesterday). If you are 777 rated there are numerous other better options should you wish to move from your present employer. There is a lot of info on EK written in these forums, why do you think that the vast majority of posts are negative? EK are desperate to recruit yet there is a trickle of applicants, and many of those unqualified. If I were you I would come and see for yourself, apply and attend the recruitment days, you will be welcomed with open arms. Look around, speak to fellow pilots and make up your own mind. It would be a very important decision to make, do you think you should be making it on internet forum feedback. However it is a pilots market, especially with your experience & type rating. If I were seeking alternative options EK would rank far down on my list of potential employers.

choi3ed
11th May 2018, 12:52
A bad day to ask. All extremely pissed of with the insult delivered yesterday. Greed pervades here, but its quite simple, you can't have an airline with your aircraft collecting dust (literally) on the ground. Interesting times ahead. Strange that you appear fixated on EK (you started another thread with a similar question just yesterday). If you are 777 rated there are numerous other better options should you wish to move from your present employer. There is a lot of info on EK written in these forums, why do you think that the vast majority of posts are negative? EK are desperate to recruit yet there is a trickle of applicants, and many of those unqualified. If I were you I would come and see for yourself, apply and attend the recruitment days, you will be welcomed with open arms. Look around, speak to fellow pilots and make up your own mind. It would be a very important decision to make, do you think you should be making it on internet forum feedback. However it is a pilots market, especially with your experience & type rating. If I were seeking alternative options EK would rank far down on my list of potential employers.
Thanks Dirigible, I am new to the expat thing, I guess I could apply and just ask around.

desertcamel
11th May 2018, 13:52
Hello Gentlemen I am going to write as objectively and accurately as I possibly can.
I am trying to compare which is a better place to be. EK or my current company. I am typed on a B777.
I am open to anyone's opinions and/or suggestions, feel free to write.

EK: My:
1. Bidding system (flawed but still exists) 1. No bidding system at all, my SKD is random.
2. Fairly quick RGT to LFT PIC upgrade (not sure of time) 2. 12 yrs to become a Narrow body PIC (RGT to LFT on different A/C) then 2~3yrs of that then WB.
3. Actual salary (not sure) 8100 USD/mo ??? 3. Actual average pay 6600 USD.
4. Days off/ Leave very POOR. EK doesn't give whats advertised. 4 Very good, 10 day offs a month, and if you ask the chief pilot nicely you can tag on more annual leave days to those days off.
5. A lot of INTL destinations. 5. A lot of INTL destinations.
6. First name basis between PIC and FO (from what I hear) 6. Not first name basis between (PIC &FO)
7. Job Security (not sure) 7. Job security, good because of high attrition rate of pilots.
8. ID90 (but can't see the pax load in advance/ also not sure) 8. ID90, Economy only, but can get an ID of how full flight is.
9. Housing allowance / can opt out for the money instead. 9. company assisted housing (only for newly weds) in the ghetto.
10. A lot of micromanaging from the boss, constant policy changes 10. A lot of micromanaging from the boss, constant policy changes
11. Gives pilots a hard time for adding extra fuel. (not sure) 11. No problem at all if we add more fuel.

Any opinions would be welcomed.

Thank you for reading.

Choi,

It sounds like you're still working for your National carrier. And from your comparison, you're seeking not much difference from what you are getting. And might actually throw away some good stuffs you are enjoying. One is to be able to talk to your Chief and bargain some of those extra leaves or days off for special lifes events. And this doesn't work in EK, you will just be a number there, No name or personality.
If you're moving to EK to enjoy Dubai, then its another thing, to enjoy the Airlines vast network on your Leave days is another. To use it to save a lot of Money, its the wrong timing. The cost of living have been expensive in the last few years, Excise taxes, VAT, and all this service charges you pay whenever you shop, dine or drink outside.

I see few reasons why Pilots try to Join EK nowadays:
1. fly the big shiny jets
2. to live away from home
3. to enjoy Dubai, for whatever its worth.
4. to say, they fly for Emirates
5. to enjoy EK staff travel benefits
6. because they're Young
7. some are less experienced
8. Single and doesn't really care
9. a chance for quicker Command

So, which one do you seek?