View Full Version : Self funded training

Rohan
17th Jun 2001, 02:11
Has anyone any ideas of how to raise the £50,000 needed for ab initio training? I have looked at the sponsorship schemes available but it seems that at 28 years old I am past it in the eyes of sponsoring airlines! I have concluded that to maximise my chance of getting a job at the end of training I should opt for OAT, CABAIR or BAE. But where does the £50,000 come from? Any experience or ideas?

STALL_TURN
17th Jun 2001, 02:27
Rohan, theres no easy answer, check the back pages of flyer & pilot magazine, I've heard there are now several companies offering ab-anitio training for under 30K.

Re-mortgage the house, sell your granny, talk to sevral banks, scrounge from rich relatives but most importantly don't give up, you'll get there eventually.

Biz
17th Jun 2001, 03:31
Yep! I'm in the same boat as you Rohan. I'm 24 and have talked very nicely to my parents, who have agreed to put their house up as security for a bank loan. It's my only real option as far as raising that sort of money goes. I suggest you take yours out for a few drinks before approaching the question! Similarly, I've gathered that one needs to go to a college with a good reputation, and that only OAT or Cabair will do if you stand any real chance of gaining a line job relatively early-on in your career. Does anyone agree/disagree with this??

Capt Wannabe
17th Jun 2001, 14:02
Biz, who told you that you will only get a job if you go to OATS or Cabair? Their marketing depts perhaps? I certainly don't believe that to be true.

------------------
CW
The original not the imposter!

Biz
17th Jun 2001, 15:19
CW,
Thats the impression I've gained from experience of talking to students, instructors and from forums like this. I've listened to the bull from the colleges themselves, but am not at all swayed by their own opinions of themselves!! If I'm going to invest a small fortune I'm after quality training which will enable me the best chance of a job. Haven't heard a lot about Bae, apart from out of their glossies. Anthing you may know????? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Capt Wannabe
17th Jun 2001, 17:36
Well, obviously there haven't been that many graduates from Jerez yet, but a couple of blokes who finished in December had jet jobs before Christmas. In fact all the self-sponsored cadets on that course had jobs within a couple of months. More recently people have found employment with Brymon and Loganair and several have been for interviews with BA although I don't know the outcome.
From speaking to people that have been to Oxford it seems that they promise the earth, but once you graduate they don't give a damn.
Also be warned that BA has a very strong hold over Oxford, and you WILL be neglected while sponsored cadets are given priority. That does not happen at BAe.

------------------
CW
The original not the imposter!

Autofly
17th Jun 2001, 21:43
CW is right. As far as getting a job goes, furture employers want to know how many hours you've got and what you've got to show for it in the way of licences. If you went club/school at East Mids for example, did your PPL, then CPL/IR you have done the same training as those at Oxford probably for a darn site less!!!!

This 50k sum of cash which is needed is a bit of a joke because you can get a frozen ATPL for so much less. Reading the brochures from OATS/Cabair tell you that this is how much it will cost which then gets posted here. This is where this illusion of 50k comes from. People assume that the only way to get a credable ATPL is to go to OATS/Cabair etc. I thought this at first but its not the case. If your parents will put up the house their more likely to help the less you borrow. Also, can you imagine paying back 50k!!! Not a nice thought. I'd better shut up now before I put OATS out of business.

Hope this helps.

Autofly.

P.S - Credit to WWW, Hamrah, Grandad flyer, etc., etc. ....... god I learn't so much at the seminars.