PDA

View Full Version : Tax deductions question

Oasis
10th May 2018, 05:12
Tax time!
Has anyone had any luck making deductions against our taxes for things like transportation, laundry services, av medical, books/laptop/pc etc?
I did a search here but nothing came up.

corrigin
10th May 2018, 06:05
I've claimed Av Med and Charities. Of course, they'll ask you for receipts (which I keep for that very reason).
Flew with a FO who claimed his all university courses which he studied outside of Hong Kong (aviation related) - said his taxes were reduced as well.

Oasis
10th May 2018, 06:55
Thanks, appreciate your reply!

Freehills
10th May 2018, 07:09
Reading the IRD notes, transportation from home to work is a no-no.

Professional education from approved institutions that are related to your job

Laptop - you would need to show that it is essential in the performance of your duties, ditto av medical

Clothes - replacement cost of 'special clothes' is allowed, doesn't say about laundry

Veruka Salt
10th May 2018, 08:36
HK IRD won’t allow claims for education courses, except from a fairly narrow, prescribed list - check their website.

That rules out claiming your ‘Master of Aviation’ type courses. I’ve tried.

betpump5
10th May 2018, 09:23
Whatever I need for work, I try to claim. Shoes, glasses, medical, pens and notepad (yes I'm a cheapskate). Never once got it back.

Oasis
10th May 2018, 13:25
Those notepads do add up over time :-)
Thanks!

Dan Winterland
11th May 2018, 04:51
KA negotiate a uniform laundry allowance with the IRD which goes on the form as they don't get paid a separate laundry allowance. This year it's $3150. I have also had success with claiming the fess for my university course as it's work related.

YeahNahYeah
17th May 2018, 01:21
I think JS&S will have a lot of questions about Hong Kong's new transfer pricing legislation if / when it passes this year! Amazing to find out it was so lax for so long