PDA

View Full Version : How do i become an airline pilot'

domagoj123
9th May 2018, 19:12
Hello,im 14 and the school year is almost over,im at my final year at primary school and i am starting to think about future,and a job as an airline pilot I've had on my mind for now a few weeks. But this is just me thinking about future. So, look,im doing really good at physics,maths,my overall health is decent (so far has been,i dont smoke or use drugs and such crap), and i speak english pretty good (fluent,more or less) and yeah im wondering what kind of education i need,do i need to go to college for that,umm idk flight schools or what,i would really like if someone could describe me that whole process of becoming an airline pilot,i would really appreciate that,i mean,i watched some vids on youtube but i didnt quite get it. Its ironical because i have never traveled by plane (so far). And of course i would like to know how much does all that cost. I think it is worth mentioning that i live in Croatia,Europe,which is not doing good with the whole aviation industry (at least i heard so).
Thanks a lot,I really appreciate it!

Intruder
9th May 2018, 22:20
Yes, go to college. The type of degree is not as important as getting a degree. However, get a degree that will be useful to you in getting a job while waiting for the airline job opportunity to come, to finance your early flying, and as a backup if you ever lose your ability to fly. Also, a college degree is important if you decide to choose the military route to flying.

parkfell
9th May 2018, 22:35
Do well at school and remember that hand to eye coordination is important. So playing games/sports will ensure you fine tune your skills.
Being a Team player is also a crucial part of aviation operations.

Denti
10th May 2018, 07:44
In europe a college degree is not necessary at all, but of course doesn‘t hurt. However, you will need to be able to afford between 80.000€ to 120.000€ for the pilot training, or to get a loan over that amount. Some cadet schemes close to an airline could be cheaper, but that is kinda rare and very hard to get into. The military route is another way, but not common in europe either and has its own downsides. Being good in math, physics, team sports and english helps quite a bit. Check out Mentour and DutchPilotGirl on youtube and their social media appearance out for a european perspective. And there are of course tons more of those kinds of information around.

Piltdown Man
11th May 2018, 11:04
Some advice from a person who is in their last year of flying:

1. Enjoy your time at school. Enjoy your time at home and with your friends.
2. Keep fit. Playing team games is a very worthwhile pastime for body and soul.
3. Study hard and do the very best you can in your exams. Get a degree if possible as that will make you a more rounded person.
4. By the time you leave university you will know whether or not you still wish to go flying.
5. In six or seven years from now the world will have changed again but advice given in Steps 1 to 3 will still be valid.
6. If you decide to go flying now you will have worked out how to do it. But if you choose not to, you will be well prepared for your future life.

Best of luck,

PM

ps. Stay off social media and the internet. There is a far more interesting real world beyond!