PDA

View Full Version : Direct Entry Captains/Trainers

J.L.Seagull
9th May 2018, 05:32
Good day,

I'm just trying to get a feel for the industry and employment practices in Australia.

For someone who has the right to live and work in Oz, (permanent resident/citizen), would they be accepted as a direct entry captain and/or TRI/TRE's (or even a SFI/SFE)? I haven't really seen any postings for approximately the last five years for said positions.

Regardless of qualifications or minimum requirements, I don't know if the unions or employment practices will allow it. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Aviatrix91
9th May 2018, 05:46
Direct entry hiring isn’t really done here in Oz because all of our airlines run off a seniority system so everyone starts at the bottom regardless of experience. I can’t speak for some of the turbo prop operators however

ad-astra
9th May 2018, 06:17
If you know the right people Virgin seems to be a GREAT destination for foreign imports into management!
That aside yes it may be difficult (impossible) for entry into Qantas, Virgin, Jetstar but some of the jet operators on the next tier down may welcome you.

J.L.Seagull
9th May 2018, 06:48
Thanks guys. I suspected as much.

Time to make some friends in low places in Virgin! LOL!

Berealgetreal
9th May 2018, 07:28
Skywest or Vara do it onto the jet fleet. They're looking for A320 skippers from memory.

hoss
9th May 2018, 08:19
With a name like Seagull your definitely management material.

We’ll have to throw rocks at you to make you fly!

All the Best, look forward to working under you. :)

hoss

roundsounds
9th May 2018, 11:16
Good day,

I'm just trying to get a feel for the industry and employment practices in Australia.

For someone who has the right to live and work in Oz, (permanent resident/citizen), would they be accepted as a direct entry captain and/or TRI/TRE's (or even a SFI/SFE)? I haven't really seen any postings for approximately the last five years for said positions.

Regardless of qualifications or minimum requirements, I don't know if the unions or employment practices will allow it. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Thanks!

QF have been advertising for SFIs recently.

Pastor of Muppets
9th May 2018, 11:51
The whole industry has an oversupply of NFI management.....

Derfred
9th May 2018, 17:16
QF have been advertising for SFIs recently.

Have they? I haven’t seen it.

QantasLink are advertising for DHC-8 Sim Instructors, is that what you are refering to?

almostthere!
10th May 2018, 03:50

Flys in out of the blue, squawks at everyone making no sense, leaves **** every where, then fly’s off to the next free feed. Yep a seagul and a perfect airline management analogy.

Street garbage
10th May 2018, 03:57
Flys in out of the blue, squawks at everyone making no sense, leaves **** every where, then fly’s off to the next free feed. Yep a seagul and a perfect airline management analogy.
...and steals things like Long term future and shareholder return, then flies off into the sunset....

J.L.Seagull
10th May 2018, 06:10
Berealgetreal, RoundSounds,

Thanks for the info.

Happy and safe flying!

Icarus2001
10th May 2018, 09:56
Direct entry hiring isn’t really done here in Oz because all of our airlines run off a seniority system so everyone starts at the bottom regardless of experience. I would suggest that this is no longer true in Australia other than Virgin and Qantas and even Virgin has taken DE Captains before.

As an example, Network are advertising for direct entry F100 Captains, non type rated. Cobham have taken direct entry B717 and Bae146 Captains, both non type rated, some applicants were type rated. Skippers take direct entry, so does Air North on Metro fleet (if it is still flying). As mentioned above VARA take direct entry F100 and A320 Captains. Regional Express also take on direct entry Captains.

The industry has moved on, the "shortage" is being felt so old ways of doing things are changing.

airdualbleedfault
10th May 2018, 11:22
VARA don't take direct entry captains on 320 or 100, not sure where you got your info but it is incorrect.

AerocatS2A
10th May 2018, 12:17
I thought Cobham had lost a captain or two to VARA F100 left seat. Maybe it was network.

morno
10th May 2018, 14:21
I saw the job ad for DEC VARA A320 about 6 weeks ago. So maybe you’d better check your info airdualbleed

Icarus2001
10th May 2018, 14:39
Job details - ATR Direct Entry Command Opportunities 2018 | Virgin Australia (http://careers.virginaustralia.com/cw/en/job/500707/atr-direct-entry-command-opportunities-2018)

Here is one I forgot, direct entry ATR Captain VARA

Change of Pace
11th May 2018, 00:14
They took you didn't they Airdualbleedfault.

Chris2303
11th May 2018, 02:52
Aer Lingus are taking A320 First Officers off the street

Airline is hiring inexperienced pilots and training them for free - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/airline-is-hiring-inexperienced-pilots-and-training-them-for-free-2018-5/?r=AU&IR=T)

Berealgetreal
11th May 2018, 04:16
Might have changed, they did in the past. They'd call them "training captains".

Pretty sure there was an ad for 320 skippers recently on AFAP but on that i could be wrong as it was just a glance.

Gray 14
11th May 2018, 12:42

We’ll have to throw rocks at you to make you fly!

All the Best, look forward to working under you. :)

hoss

J. L. Seagull..."Jonathan Livingston Seagull". A great read by Richard Bach from 1970.

airdualbleedfault
12th May 2018, 01:19
Change of pace, I think you may have me confused with someone else champ, never worked for VARA and probably never will.
My understanding is they advertised for temporary contract captains for the 320.
Network took some VARA pilots, not vice versa.
BTW, the chap you are thinking of was hired as management, not a direct entry line captain, big difference.