PDA

View Full Version : R22 Robbie bites the dust - Oz

NRDK
8th May 2018, 23:34
Helicopter pilot lucky to be alive after serious crash near NT-Qld border - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-08/helicopter-pilot-survives-serious-crash-near-nt-qld-border/9739336)

Lucky?

Probably on his way to a Brazilian wedding via the shortcut:ok:

Vertical Freedom
9th May 2018, 00:53
Helicopter pilot lucky to be alive after serious crash near NT-Qld border - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-08/helicopter-pilot-survives-serious-crash-near-nt-qld-border/9739336)

Lucky?

Probably on his way to a Brazilian wedding via the shortcut:ok:

No matter what You fly, Helicopter operations are hazardous........safety First; always wear a Helmet :E

This lucky Lad is probably still breathing today, thanks to wearing a Helmet :D
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h338/rotors99/rotors99036/9739406-1x1-940x940.jpg

Thomas coupling
9th May 2018, 11:06
Wow, third in a week. Excellent attrition rate for the good old Robbo. Keep up the good work guys

aa777888
9th May 2018, 12:23
Wow, third in a week. Excellent attrition rate for the good old Robbo. Keep up the good work guys
Based on an extremely cursory search for the period 1 April through 8 May, scratch one each:

CH-53E
SH-212
AH-64
MD-600N
German -53 of some sort
Mi-8
Ka-29
UN-1H
Ka-52
AS350B2
206 of some type

...and 3 Robinsons, one of which clearly had nothing to do with the design, the other two TBD.

Keep up the good work guys, don't want those Robinson helicopters, or Robinson pilots, to look bad in comparison :ugh:

OvertHawk
9th May 2018, 14:20
Is it just me or is this rather predictable "well done for getting rid of another one" stuff starting to wear a bit thin?

It was perhaps funny the first once or twice but really...? If that's all you've got to contribute about helicopter accidents then I am reminded of the phrase "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and prove it".

Robbo's have their weaknesses, and I've flown one unlike a lot of the armchair experts on here. I'd not choose to fly one again however this school playground knee-jerk nonsense is really starting to have a detrimental effect on any thread that involves a Robbo, overshadowing and discouraging real discussion. It's like the sad old git in the corner of the bar who keeps telling the same story over and over again because he's got nothing else to talk about.

500 Fan
9th May 2018, 14:24
What? More than one fabled twin heli has crashed in the last week? Surely not.

Single piston, single turbine, twin turbine - they all come a cropper with alarming regularity.

Hughes500
9th May 2018, 15:17
AA what site do you use to get that info ?

r22butters
9th May 2018, 15:43
Robbo,...?

That name never ceases to amuse me. I makes you all sound like sifi geeks from the 80's. :ok:

heliroger
9th May 2018, 16:08
It isn't so much about the helicopter type, but more about pilot handling with respect to the limitations of the flight envelope....my opinion

whoknows idont
9th May 2018, 18:12
Is it just me or is this rather predictable "well done for getting rid of another one" stuff starting to wear a bit thin?

It was perhaps funny the first once or twice but really...? If that's all you've got to contribute about helicopter accidents then I am reminded of the phrase "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and prove it".

Robbo's have their weaknesses, and I've flown one unlike a lot of the armchair experts on here. I'd not choose to fly one again however this school playground knee-jerk nonsense is really starting to have a detrimental effect on any thread that involves a Robbo, overshadowing and discouraging real discussion. It's like the sad old git in the corner of the bar who keeps telling the same story over and over again because he's got nothing else to talk about.

No, it's not just you. I second that.

aa777888
9th May 2018, 18:37
AA what site do you use to get that info ?
I didn't try very hard. I Google'd "helicopter accident database" and the first citation was:

https://www.rotor.org/Publications/ROTORDAILY/tabid/843/articleType/CategoryView/categoryId/1/Accidents-Incidents.aspx

LIke I said, an extremely cursory search. Probably not complete, nor accurate, but seemed good enough at the time.

Jeffory
10th May 2018, 04:09
I'd gladly stop flying Robinson machines, but it's a pity operators aren't exactly handing out jobs in turbines, or the elusive twin turbine machines. Guess it's back to my peasant aircraft because I'm not capable enough hey.....

r22butters
10th May 2018, 04:44
I'd gladly stop flying Robinson machines, but it's a pity operators aren't exactly handing out jobs in turbines, or the elusive twin turbine machines. Guess it's back to my peasant aircraft because I'm not capable enough hey.....

I've flown a couple turbines. Trust me, you're not missing anything!

helops
10th May 2018, 08:35

What do you mean?

Bell_ringer
10th May 2018, 09:15
What do you mean?

It means he has a bad case of turbine envy and hasn't moved past denial yet into acceptance :E

Thomas coupling
10th May 2018, 10:03
R21Butters: probably Wind Turbines.
Kindly enlighten everyone here as to which turbine you have flown and why they aren't anything different from a rubber band with inherent lethal flaws.

Vertical Freedom
10th May 2018, 12:32

Maybe You might need to fly a couple more, maybe a LOT more.............:eek:

r22butters
10th May 2018, 15:18
Maybe You might need to fly a couple more, maybe a LOT more.............:eek:

Why, the view is the same, so frankly I couldn't care less what drives it.

r22butters
10th May 2018, 15:26
Kindly enlighten everyone here as to which turbine you have flown and why they aren't anything different from a rubber band with inherent lethal flaws.

206 and 500

Also flown an s-55 with a radial engine, and again,...so what! You guys may get raging chubbies over that turbine whine, but sorry I just don't see what's so special about them.

Thomas coupling
10th May 2018, 15:52
Oh dear!
Now you've shown your colours and frankly you appear not to have a clue do you?

Are you saying there is no flying difference between a Hughes 500 and a rubber band???? WTF.

Wait till nigelh learns of this:ugh:

Are you sure you're not talking about radio controlled models R21butters?

r22butters
10th May 2018, 16:52
Oh dear!
Now you've shown your colours and frankly you appear not to have a clue do you?

Are you saying there is no flying difference between a Hughes 500 and a rubber band???? WTF.

Wait till nigelh learns of this:ugh:

Are you sure you're not talking about radio controlled models R21butters?

Oh don't tell me my lack of turbine envy bruised your mightly "internet expert" ego? :{

Thomas coupling
10th May 2018, 20:00
Would you care/dare to advertise/list your helo experience here on a public forum, then we can have an open honest debate?

KiwiNedNZ
10th May 2018, 20:08
If you look at all the posts from the legendary R22butters you will see that nearly every one is a sarcastic head up his ass post - wouldn't actually waste any time responding to him. Leave him to his world of Robbies.

r22butters
10th May 2018, 20:36
Would you care/dare to advertise/list your helo experience here on a public forum, then we can have an open honest debate?

My 500 and 206 time was up in Oregon mostly practicing for a frost patrol gig,...all ten glorious hours of it!

My hundred or so hours 44 time is divided between instrument training and some LE and mountain/canyon flying.

Then of course there's twenty incredibly fantastic hours flying a "photographer" around fishing tournaments in a Mariner with Boatpix back East!!!

,...but aside from wasting a bunch of money on these bull**** timebuilding and "go through our training program and we'll give you a job", "opportunities" in such awesome aircraft as the 500, 206, and 44,...

Most of my just under eight hundred hours is simply joyriding around San Francisco alone after sunset in a 22.

Have at it. :rolleyes:

r22butters
10th May 2018, 20:37
If you look at all the posts from the legendary R22butters you will see that nearly every one is a sarcastic head up his ass post - wouldn't actually waste any time responding to him. Leave him to his world of Robbies.

:D :rolleyes:

Ascend Charlie
10th May 2018, 21:17
Ahhh, leave Butters alone, he has strayed here from the Vertical Reference site, where he actually keeps the site ticking over.

Some of the comments might be a little wanting for content, but he is able to stir others into taking part.

JBL99
10th May 2018, 21:18

Agreed, fed up with the same old rubbish being spouted on here. Give it a rest.

NRDK
11th May 2018, 00:28
R22butters

It was the Aussie pilots who called it the ROBBO, mainly because the poor 'Darlings' can't spell....hence;
Aussie (Australian) Some might use Ozzie, but those ones think R2D2 is a turbine powered R22:ok:
Robbo (Robinson)
and Aborigine.....:}

Ascend Charlie
11th May 2018, 01:53
mainly because the poor 'Darlings' can't spell.

NRDK, if it was up to plain spelling, the name would be "Chumley", not Cholmondoley. Or any of those other weird places in The Cold Country.

So, leave us with our Robbos, bickies, dunnies and such. We might not be able to spell "BEER", though, we have to call it XXXX.

havick
11th May 2018, 06:29
R22butters

It was the Aussie pilots who called it the ROBBO, mainly because the poor 'Darlings' can't spell....hence;
Aussie (Australian) Some might use Ozzie, but those ones think R2D2 is a turbine powered R22:ok:
Robbo (Robinson)
and Aborigine.....:}

you sir just won the internet

blakmax
11th May 2018, 08:53
Strewth! Ascend Charlie, I'm with you! Just because our ancestors were chosen by the crown to colonise Australia, the POMS think that they have the right to remove urine from us! The last time I was called "Darling" it was by an Englishman who really tried to be amazingly friendly with me! I used sand paper on his anatomy in a similar fashion to Warner and Co.!

This lot still think the only beer we drink is Fosters! I had some sent off for testing and the message came back that the horse was not fit for racing. Now I know XXXX is served in heaven (well Queensland is close enough!) Think about that next time you strap your laughing gear around a frothy chop! (XXXX is not served in America because there is a brand of profalactic called Fourrex so the slogan "I can feel a XXXX coming on" just didn't fit into the American political correctness regime.

As for Robbie-Robbo I went to school with a bloke called Robbo, and that's good enough for me.

On a more serious side, isn't it about time we had the ability to split threads so that the Robbie/Robbo-philes could be separated from the Robbire/Robbo-antagonists and then a third split for those who want to conduct serious discussions without t wanting to slag or praise the aircraft on purely personal opinions?

All the best

Blakmax

PS my favourite author coined the phrase "Twist to open", I can feel a XXXX coming on!

Thomas coupling
11th May 2018, 08:59
This is serious stuff JBL99, it is vital we either get the message to all future Robbo drivers - to find a less lethal option, or.......

Get existing Robbo's removed from the scene.

The journey continues, I'm afraid.......:cool:

Ascend Charlie
11th May 2018, 09:13
Get existing Robbo's removed from the scene.

...and this from a Pom. The apostrophe indicates the possessive tense, as in "something belonging to the Robbo".

Do we colonials have to tell you EVERYTHING??

Bell_ringer
11th May 2018, 09:24
...and this from a Pom. The apostrophe indicates the possessive tense, as in "something belonging to the Robbo".

Do we colonials have to tell you EVERYTHING??

You do realise the linguistic abilities of the typical Brit is second only to that of the yanks?
Frankly, the Australians have done remarkably well to outgrow the language disabilities handed down to them, chooks notwithstanding.
:}

NumptyAussie
11th May 2018, 09:59

coughs EC (H) 225 cough AW 139 with the bendy tailboom cough S-92A with the semi detached gearbox filter "sniff"

r22butters
11th May 2018, 14:45
On a more serious side, isn't it about time we had the ability to split threads so that the Robbie/Robbo-philes could be separated from the Robbire/Robbo-antagonists and then a third split for those who want to conduct serious discussions without t wanting to slag or praise the aircraft on purely personal opinions?

Hmm, you don't really "get" the internet do you?

,...besides its more entertaining to make fun of the Robbophobes, especially since their "expert" cages are so easily rattled! :E

gulliBell
11th May 2018, 14:45
..Get existing Robbo's removed from the scene.

They have form at removing themselves from the scene. Robbo bashing: I don't care one way or the other, each to their own. Water off a ducks back. Just read and move on. Not worth a song and dance about. I do see a positive in them. 100 hours in a Robbo in the early days was my career route to 7000 hours in medium twins. Lots of Robbos fell out of the sky when I was doing that 100 hours, fortunately none with me in them.

11th May 2018, 14:49
R22butters - I guess you haven't been on your side in a field in a Robbie then - it convinced me never to get in one again!

r22butters
11th May 2018, 15:47
R22butters - I guess you haven't been on your side in a field in a Robbie then - it convinced me never to get in one again!

Gonna have paint a slightly clearer picture there for me to get what you're saying,...?

aa777888
11th May 2018, 16:41
For those of you whose minds will never change, just ignore this post.

Everyone else who is interested in where Robinsons really stand in the grand scheme of things, there was some reasonable and semi-extensive discussion in this thread without a lot of drama:

https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/600303-another-robinson-crash.html

I continue to stand by my summary statement in that thread, which, paraphrased just a tiny bit, was: Robinson's have a history, of that let there be no doubt. But at the current state of evolution of the designs, and SFAR 73, it would seem that, for the past few years anyway, performance and safety are comparable to other helicopters when operated in a manner consistent with lightweight, low inertia characteristics. At least based on US data. Outside of the US it would seem things are not so rosy.

r22butters
11th May 2018, 17:12
I went to fly with a private owner of a 44 once. At one point I asked if he had a ladder so I could check the rotor head, to which he replied, "oh I never go up there, just glancing at it from down here is enough".

There are videos on youtube of 44 pilots flying into IMC, some just glancing through, some going all the way and crashing! There's a new one with the 44 pilot clipping his tail and crashing,...and so on! Pilot error is not a false claim by Robinson!

Sure Robby's have a bloody beginning, and maybe they're the only make of helicopter that has had people die during the early stages, I don't know? Thing is, they fixed all those early problems with SFAR 73 and the Safety Notices in the POH.

Now I could have an accident the next time I go up, but after fifteen years and around thirty-five different R22's of varying age and condition, I'd have a hard time blaming the design!

Sir Korsky
12th May 2018, 00:50
Here's another Robinson disaster....

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=eQbf_1525655974

aa777888
12th May 2018, 01:44
Here's another Robinson disaster....

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=eQbf_1525655974That's not a Robinson disaster. That's a poor Robinson being the victim of another piloting disaster. It could just as easily been a 500, or a 206, or whatever.

Sir Korsky
12th May 2018, 01:55
That's not a Robinson disaster. That's a poor Robinson being the victim of another piloting disaster. It could just as easily been a 500, or a 206, or whatever.

file it where ever you want - still news though !

Sir Korsky
12th May 2018, 12:29
My fault I guess. I don't usually read Robinson threads because I've never flown one. I'm sure you have 40.7 hours in one, or two, or three maybe? The way you keep wasting them it soon adds up.

Jeffory
12th May 2018, 23:39
Great to see all the elitist unite

Sir Korsky
13th May 2018, 00:29
Great to see all the elitist unite

No. Not at all.

I still remember the days when Pprune was a very different place. The days when Nick Lappos would hold daily court and everybody was welcome. Anybody who had any kind of interest in helicopters whether, wannabe, pro or weekend flyer was made to feel at home. I still come here to learn, but I yearn for the days when friendly was the norm. Back then I was the weekend guy and now after thousands of medium twin IFR hours, I still remember Nick's warm welcome and I extend that courtesy to all - but take a look up, and that guy was being a a bit of a dick and earned my response. Safe flight to all !!

Sonofigor
13th May 2018, 04:41

Agree with you 100% They are the cheapest helicopter to operate or hire and hence you get a lot of inexperienced guys flying them hence the higher crash rate. Its a tough little bird!!!

Sir Korsky
13th May 2018, 11:20
CPL(H) actually, turbine, much the same qualification as you, probably.
me? Just because I pointed out that you had re-posted the original incident that the thread was created for, clearly without bothering to read it, in your rush to add to the jingoistic Robinson-bashing? That doesn't justify your mocking insults and childish, derogatory name-calling.

Don't we all. When are you going to start?
As a professional pilot who has been contributing to these pages for quite a few years longer than you have, I don't need any 'welcome' from you, especially not the courtesy of the 'warm' welcome you claim to extend.

I think you need to go bang one out - let some steam off. I can only only pray that you don't fly in a multi-crew environment. Being paired up with you would start a bilious attack.

John Eacott
13th May 2018, 11:27
Gosh! It looks identical to the one at the very start of this thread. An unobservant pilot's mistake being posted multiple times by unobservant posters.

On that basis, it will probably be logged twice as well, to skew the accident statistics against this make of helicopter too.....

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=eQbf_1525655974

Wrong. It was news days ago when this thread was started to report this very incident.

Did you watch the video link posted by Sir Korsky? It is of an R44 wedding crash in Brazil, whereas the opening post and the subject of this thread is an R22 crash in the outback of Australia.

Getting upset and handbags at dawn is never going to end well with that sort of basic error.

Self loading bear
13th May 2018, 19:12
I fear the day that Sir korsy and pilot Mike would have to fly together. No CRM course will be able to contain the bashing!

Cheers SLB

John Eacott
14th May 2018, 00:17
pilotmike (https://www.pprune.org/members/101105-pilotmike) there's little point in deleting your posts when they are still in this thread as quotes by others :hmm:

r22butters
14th May 2018, 04:06
For what its worth that 44 crash had already been posted,...just not in this thread.

https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/608566-r44-down-brasil.html