PDA

View Full Version : Neck pain problems for Canadian military helicopter pilots

rotornut
8th May 2018, 00:07
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/05/06/neck-pain-a-debilitating-problem-for-rcaf-helicopter-pilots.html

Ascend Charlie
8th May 2018, 07:50
Not just in Canada, I have had a bad neck since pulling 6g in Macchis and Mirage, and being bounced around in a Huey and numerous other choppers over the years. It has now turned into osteo-arthritis and limits turning my head and looking up.

But tough luck for me, I never complained of it while in the airforce so I am not eligible for any medical assistance from them. And this was before the days of the "smart" helmets or NVG.

Viper 7
8th May 2018, 12:11
No question, this is an issue.

I had neck strain problems when flying Griffons and Cormorants in the RCAF; all that junk on the helmet has a lot of inertia when moving your head about in the course of a flight.

GrayHorizonsHeli
8th May 2018, 14:23
can they get this in camo?

Lonewolf_50
8th May 2018, 20:06
The fish heads in our Navy often referred to we helicopter pilots as pains in the neck ... but I suppose that's a different problem to solve.

EESDL
8th May 2018, 21:06
When I raised the issue of sore neck from affect of seating position, Wessex ‘hunch’, NVGs etc the SMO told me to ‘wind my neck in’ -
I think what he meant to say was that nothing will be done to address the situation until litigation costs overtook modification costs ........