PDA

View Full Version : My assessment of the job market

Luke SkyToddler
24th Jul 2002, 06:46
Gidday all

Just thought I'd cut-and-paste the test of an email I just wrote today to a fellow wannabe who's just about to embark on a modular course. He emailed me asking what I thought in general of the current job prospects for FATPLs ... why he picked me I can't tell, but it pretty much sums up my thoughts at present so here it is for anyone who's interested ...

--------

Mate ... 'will I get an airline job with a low time FATPL?' ... ah that's the million dollar question isn't it.

In my experience the anwer is a qualified 'yes'. The airlines have in the past taken on plenty of low hour FATPLs, but, not just any low hour FATPLs. It's very much a case of right place, right time, and right connections (or have been recommended by someone who has).

I've trained two guys who are now flying big jets (one on the A319 and one on the 757/767, both with British Airways), they both did their RAF cadet courses at my company in Scotland and then went and did the BA cadet sponsorship course at Oxford. In fact the only guys that I know that have gone straight from training and into big gear, have come from one of the big full time 509 schools. I can't speak for or against *name of modular school deleted*, because I haven't been there and don't know anyone.

You need to understand that the whole straight-out-of-flying-school-into-a-jet fairy tale is talked about a lot more than it actually happens (especially on that hotbed of bull**** called PPRUNE). Even in the good times, I'd guess that only about half of self sponsored CAP509 students get straight into an airline from flying school. Doing it the modular route, no matter where you go, you'll find your chances of getting an airline job with 2 or 3 hundred hours are pretty remote ... and don't let any flying school marketing hype department tell you otherwise. My impression of airline employers is that they are a pretty conservative lot, and when they're in the rare mood to take on low time pilots they'll stick to the tried and true ... that means they'll tend to take CAP509 guys first, modulars from the well known schools like Oxford second, and the rest of us only when they've run out of other CVs to pick and choose from.

To give you a basis for comparison, I've got a modular FATPL myself (issued on the basis of a New Zealand CPL conversion and upgrade). I've got 1600 hours total time, 1300 P1, a couple hundred multi IFR command and a whole filing cabinet full of airline rejection letters that I've accumulated over the last 3 or 4 years. I'm lucky in that I recently scored myself an air ambulance job to keep me current and keep building up the multi, I instructed for a good three or four years to even get this far.

Right now there are simply NO JOBS to be had, its been that way ever since September. The market is busy absorbing all the type rated airline guys that got laid off last year, and it looks like it will take maybe another year or so before that process of re-absorption gets finished and they start even taking on non type rated people. Right now I have a mate who's just this week got the golden phone call from Japan Airlines, but he was out of work ever since Sept 12th and he has over 5,000 total hours and 3,000 on jet, he couldn't even get an instructing job let alone a regional turboprop job over the winter though. That's pretty typical of the state of the industry in Europe right now I'd say.

And to be blunt, when the jobs do come up again, for the first year or two you'll be competing with the likes of myself and my colleagues for anything that's going. Some of the guys here have got over 3,000 hours now and over 1,000 multi piston, and they are absolutely bloody desperate to move onto anything that burns jet fuel. It's people like ourselves who will hopefully be the first cabs off the recruitment rank. There will undoubtedly be also quite a large number of instructors with very high time on single engine, and a vast quantity of people who have already graduated from 509 courses over the last couple of years who are still on the scrap heap at present. If you read PPRUNE you've no doubt seen the figures which I have no reason to disbelieve, about 800-1200 qualified pilots out of work in the UK right now and another 400 to 500 per year coming out of the flying schools with nowhere to go at the moment.

If I was you, and I was determined to go and start my flight training RIGHT NOW, I'd beg borrow or steal the money for an integrated course at one of the 'big three' schools (OATS, Bae or Cabair). History dictates that when low time hiring does resume, it'll be those CVs that get looked at before the modular ones. If you go and do a modular course right now then at least walk into it with your eyes open and be prepared to spend two or three years waiting, probably working in some other profession (or instructing if you can get it) and paying to keep your ratings current meantime.

Anyway nice to hear from you ... makes a pleasant change ... normally I only get emails from people telling me to keep my opinionated trap shut :-)

All the best, let me know how you get on

a.k.a. Luke SkyToddler

-----------

Opinions from the rest of you would be great, am I barking up the right tree, or am I in fact telling this poor individual a load of equine droppings?

HARRY GREYHOUND
24th Jul 2002, 07:53
Totally agree, anyone thinking of shelling out thousands onflying training right now must need their head testing.I have 2500 hrs, 1500 on B737 and have not flown for twelve months now. It is still very hard to get a job right now,but flying training organisations are of course going to tell you otherwise.Just to give you an example I have been speaking to a UK agency who have constantly been telling me that it is very quiet with nobody recruiting at the moment.Then yesterday they send me their newsletter? saying they are extremely busy and would I be interested in buying a B737 rating or an NG differences course.All you wanabees BEWARE THE HYPE its not worth financial ruin, there is still a backlog of experianced guys to get through first.

Wee Weasley Welshman
24th Jul 2002, 08:53
Totally agree.

I simply would not entertain being in a Frzn ATPL <500hrs and needing a job position for at least another two years. Much better to get some experience and cash reserves elsewhere whilst reading the books nightly.

A major military operation is almost a certainty in Iraq within then next 6 months. That alone militates against walking into Cranfield/Jerez/Kiddlington with your buttocks freshly powdered and your cheque books open.

The recovery is happening. The industry will come good for you all in time. Its not here yet.

MJR
24th Jul 2002, 09:38
Hi Luke,

I'm sure you have spoken many wise words and this will explode into "no it isn't", "yes it is a good time to start training" blah, blah,blah type forum. Nothing personal but may I be the first to inject some otherwise comment.

In previous forums like this a comment has been made that low time CAP509 people only het hired firstly if there lucky an secondly if the recruiting airline sees their CV within 6 months of finishing the course, otherwise the are considered to be out of practise.

That said and I'm not really the best qualified person to comment but, if the recruitment market is so bleak is there any point in doing an intergrated course. Would it not be better to do a phased modular course to bring you up to standard by say mid 2004. Thus allowing an individual an opportunity to have everything in place for when the shortage ha! ha! appears.

Instruction jobs will possibly be the first to appear as the veteran 10,000 hour C152 jockeys move up the ladder so would it not be a good idea to pitch for this in the short term.

Building hours as an instructor not only makes a better pilot out of a person but makes them more employable to a limit. I'm not sure whether there is any further benefit when it comes to moving to the LH seat as there will always be a minimum number of hours before anyone can do this.

TTFN

MJR

foghorn
24th Jul 2002, 12:25
Good summary, Luke,

I'm not questioning the rest of your figures regarding out of work pilots, however be aware that CAA's published stats say that only 300 people with Commercial Licences were issued Instrument Ratings between April 2000 and March 2002 - that's only 150 per year.

So there might not be quite as many low-hour wannabes washing around in the system as you think.

This is as opposed to upwards of 400 new IRs per year for most of the late nineties.

What the CAA's figures seem to imply is that there are a lot of CPLs in the system without IRs (or FI ratings) - what these are up to, well no-one knows. They might suddenly get IRs when things pick up, they might have given up already...

In these days of the JAA European pilots relocating to the UK are also a factor as that tends to be a one-way street.

Here's a long winded thread on this I wrote a while ago...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55532

cheers!
foggy.

Mialo
24th Jul 2002, 17:53
There are still quite a few guys and girls out there with good total and jet time who were made redundant and can not get a job. However If you have FATPL (regardless of hours) and £6000.00 you should not have a problem the CTC academy and airline accountants have changed hiring policy now. Experience is no longer necessary.

Luke SkyToddler
24th Jul 2002, 18:58
However If you have FATPL (regardless of hours) and £6000.00 you should not have a problem

:eek: :eek: *coughcoughBULLSH!T!cough*

All that CTC is at the end of the day is some way for self improvers to show they can handle the same battery of tests as the sponsored guys, and theoretically bring themselves up to the same level of employability. It doesn't matter a monkey's uncle in times like these, when even the sponsored cadets have been told to expect two years wait to get any kind of flying (as my mole in BA told me the other day).

Integrated, modular, type rated, instructors, Chuck Yeager himself ... there just isn't enough jobs to go round, and no whizz bang CTC course is going to change that no matter how you paint it :rolleyes:

AMEX
28th Jul 2002, 16:00
There is an advert in this week's Flight International for BACE Express. They are looking at type rated J41 Captain and F/Os (NCL based)....
Ok not much help for that first job but it is a step forward with, no doubt, more recruitment to come (so I hear).

robione
30th Jul 2002, 11:26
Probably the best thread ive come across since jioning pprune.Lots of truth,well informed and some hilarious statements all rolled into one.freshly powdered buttocks please,im still on the floor now,brilliant stuff.