PDA

View Full Version : Qantas incident involving 2 737’s Perth Airport

ACMS
4th May 2018, 06:27
I’m surprised this wasn’t already a hot topic here.....

https://thewest.com.au/news/travel/qantas-jets-in-near-miss-at-perth-airport-ng-b88824708z

maggot
4th May 2018, 06:44
That exit and crossing is a straight up hazard
i always mention it for 03 landings
Matter of time

Capn Bloggs
4th May 2018, 07:31
But Maggot, ya gotta get off the runway ASAP! Runway occupancy times and all that!
"Keep the speed up through the intersection, vacate at Delta"...

maggot
4th May 2018, 08:10
Exactly!
totally worth a mention imo

Keg
4th May 2018, 09:48
I do the same as maggot. The exit, stopping, crossing runway are a feature of 03 arrivals.

sleeve of wizard
4th May 2018, 10:11
Were the stop bars lit at the time?

Capt Fathom
4th May 2018, 11:11
Is J2 taxiway a high speed exit?

maggot
4th May 2018, 11:33
No

And iirc you can't clear 21 and not enter 06?

Keg
4th May 2018, 11:53
I'm have a vague recollection the gap is between exiting 03 and holding short 06 on J2 is just big enough for an A330? Pretty sure we used to be able to fit on a 767 in any case. Been a while since I've used it. Pretty much always rolling through to Delta.

Derfred
4th May 2018, 18:14
Interesting, I’ve been flying 737s to Perth for decades. I can’t recall ever vacating at J2, I’ve always vacated at Delta.

Looking at the chart just now I can see the potential threat from a J2 runway exit if the other runway is in use,

A bottle of red to the ATC who prevented a potential incident.

Capn Bloggs
5th May 2018, 00:38
Interesting, I’ve been flying 737s to Perth for decades. I can’t recall ever vacating at J2, I’ve always vacated at Delta.

Tut tut Defred, you are "required" to exit at J2 (or earlier) unless nice ATC allow you through to Delta. Check your 10-9A. Been in few a couple of years now.

Beer Baron
5th May 2018, 00:40
The Jepp airport pages for Perth under ‘Airport Efficiency Procedures’ instructs pilots landing on 03 in ‘Jet, Heavy’ aircraft to vacate on J2.

maggot
5th May 2018, 00:51
Not heavy

And yes J2 is meant to be targetted but D is common

Capn Bloggs
5th May 2018, 00:54
"Jet, Heavy" means jets and heavies, I assume.

Clare Prop
5th May 2018, 00:59
If a certain well known local journalist found out about this from trolling the ATSB site, then how was he able to track down and interview the passenger after the event, are Qantas releasing passenger lists and contact details to the media? And how was her daughter able to bang her head on the seat on front if she was wearing a seatbelt?

Or could it be that the Meeja made all that up?

(they also made up that ATSB is the Air Traffic Safety Bureau, after all)

AerocatS2A
5th May 2018, 10:29
Erm, it's pretty easy for your head to hit the seat in front with the belt on. Ever paid attention to the brace position?

fleigle
5th May 2018, 15:14
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/they-slammed-the-brakes-so-hard-my-daughter-hit-the-seat-qantas-flight-is-forced-to-abort-take-off-at-last-minute-as-second-plane-crosses-the-runway-missing-by-mere-metres/ar-AAwIEIx?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout
This link is hilarious, mentions two Bowing 737's, must be the Japanese version!!!
f

Slippery_Pete
5th May 2018, 22:31
If a certain well known local journalist found out about this from trolling the ATSB site, then how was he able to track down and interview the passenger after the event, are Qantas releasing passenger lists and contact details to the media?

Isn’t it obvious? He read some names on checked in luggage tags as he unloaded passenger bags from the hold. Didn’t you know he has “industry experience” as a qualified bag chucker?

WingNut60
5th May 2018, 22:55
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/they-slammed-the-brakes-so-hard-my-daughter-hit-the-seat-qantas-flight-is-forced-to-abort-take-off-at-last-minute-as-second-plane-crosses-the-runway-missing-by-mere-metres/ar-AAwIEIx?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout (https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/they-slammed-the-brakes-so-hard-my-daughter-hit-the-seat-qantas-flight-is-forced-to-abort-take-off-at-last-minute-as-second-plane-crosses-the-runway-missing-by-mere-metres/ar-AAwIEIx?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout)
This link is hilarious, mentions two Bowing 737's, must be the Japanese version!!!
f

Have look at the juxtaposition of the 'E' and 'W' keys on your QWERTY keyboard.
Fat fingers.

AirTrafficVisualised
12th May 2018, 09:39
I made a visualisation of this incident, including air traffic control audio. You can find it here: youtu.be/djI27ZAwc4Q