PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Spink - Service medals stolen

Rhino power
4th May 2018, 01:13
Cliff Spink has had a number of his service medals stolen whilst on a train journey between London and Huntingdon, this attached image is copied from the 'Former Tornado F3 Flyers' group on facebook...

-RP

NutLoose
4th May 2018, 09:09
Really needs the medals to be identified as they could be anything. I do hope he gets them back, his Ipad might be trackable.

NutLoose
4th May 2018, 09:11
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472

Tankertrashnav
4th May 2018, 09:19
As well as the CB he has the CBE and the campaign medal for Gulf War I, this last will be officially impressed with his service details (named as group captain?) But I agree a full description is needed. He should also contact Medal News, who have a monthly lost and stolen section.

Wander00
4th May 2018, 09:42
Bad news, sorry about that. Only met Cliff once, when we both presented cheques, from Support and Strike Commands, to the Dean of Ely Cathedral in about 1988 or 89 for the renovation of the 8 (Pathfinder) Group memorial in the cathedral as part of the cathedral restoration project. Have enjoyed watching him fly the Spitfire and other historic aircraft. Very much hope medals and other property recovered.

sycamore
4th May 2018, 10:24
CCTV on train and stations might help..?

Treble one
4th May 2018, 13:06
Cliff finished as an Air Marshal and is a very familiar face and flyer at IWM Duxford, where he flies a variety of warbirds (predominately the Buchon and several Spitfire Mks extremely well IMHO).

There is a feature on his career in the RAF in the AAM, including a video, and one of his service uniforms. He talks with great foundness of his Halton days before his retraining as a pilot and subsequent career.

He is well known for his TV appearances in several productions (usually involving the McGregor brothers) of course.

I had heard about this, and do hope whoever 'found' these does the decent thing and 'leaves' them somewhere.

Rigga
4th May 2018, 15:02
I've 'lost' my medals recently, I can't claim to have them stolen, so insurance or MOD won't pay up. But I have found that I can replace them all for a few hundred pounds...I didn't have anything more precious than silver.

I would bet that if gold medals were in the bag they will be melted by now

Tankertrashnav
5th May 2018, 09:01
Rigga - could you confirm that the few hundred pounds you mention is for officially named replacements from the MOD? In the past I know some people have expressed surprise that they have to pay for replacements for lost medals, but this is of course the case. Depending on which medals are involved the cost can be quite considerable. Buying replica medals from one of the various firms that supply these is of course a possibility as well. By the way doesn't your insurance cover loss other than by theft? Worth checking I'd have thought. Of course you'd have to convince them you haven't just flogged them and want another set free!

MPN11
5th May 2018, 16:13
Not that it has ever bothered me, but if I owned a rack of serious medals I would keep them in the safe ... and buy a set of decent replicas for wear. Just too precious to be allowed out on their own.

Rigga
7th May 2018, 07:08
Rigga - could you confirm that the few hundred pounds you mention is for officially named replacements from the MOD? !
Hi TTN,
No, this is not MOD prices. MOD or insurances won’t help because I have not claimed that they been stolen or destroyed, merely ‘lost’.
The replacements would be engraved with service details
I haven’t ordered they yet.

Wholigan
7th May 2018, 07:23
My friend, who is a dealer in and collector of militaria, has spread this around his network for me. Fingers crossed.

Tankertrashnav
7th May 2018, 09:55
Thanks for the clarification Rigga . A well-known WW2 RAF veteran of my acquaintance wears a replica group, including his DFC, which I mounted for him some years ago as he no longer had his original medals. I doubt if any but the keenest eye would spot the difference.

Lonewolf_50
8th May 2018, 20:13
One of the few times I have hope for the utility of social media. (Hope your initiative works out, Wholigan)