PDA

View Full Version : Oh look, we're famous

Ogre
3rd May 2018, 10:13
Found this link on another forum that is listed as "source material"

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research (http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1461444817707273)

Under the title "Beyond 'pseudonymity': The sociotechncial structure of online military forums" the paper says it took information from lots of sources but basically spends 19 pages having a go at ARRSE for being sexist and mysogenistic....

Personally I'm amazed that someone gets paid to do this sort of thing

Ewan Whosearmy
3rd May 2018, 11:25
Supports the view that the Social Sciences are more of a joke today than they have ever been.

One leading academic recently claimed that fewer than 10% of social sciences papers are ever referenced by other academic texts. He also said that the quality of academic rigour (from research methodology to data analysis) is so poor that most SS papers would not even be graded were they submitted to other parts of academia.

Of course, he's not a raving Marxist or Post Modernist, so the response from academia is to call him alt-Right.

Basil
3rd May 2018, 13:25
spends 19 pages having a go at ARRSE for being sexist and mysogenistic....
I despair! What did they think soldiers are like?
We together with another couple went to see 'Our boys', a play set in an Army hospital.
The other chap's wife remarked on the bad language and her husband, an ex artillery officer, and I pointed out that, in real life, it was much worse!

langleybaston
3rd May 2018, 18:53
I know that I should not have bothered, but who writes this incoherent tripe?

In so doing, we raise critical questions about the nature of ‘anonymity’ and the complex tensions in and negotiations of private and public, visibility and invisibility that occur through it and the framing and monetising of particular online communities for economic and political purpose.

ExAscoteer
3rd May 2018, 20:18
To be fair, any number of online Forums display a certain amount of Sexism, Chauvinism, or downright Mysogeny. Some worse than others. Prrune is certainly not squeaky clean in this respect (although it is better than most).

I would warrant that people posting such ****e would not dare to say it face to face with a female.

Alber Ratman
3rd May 2018, 21:27
To be fair, any number of online Forums display a certain amount of Sexism, Chauvinism, or downright Mysogeny. Some worse than others. Prrune is certainly not squeaky clean in this respect (although it is better than most).

I would warrant that people posting such ****e would not dare to say it face to face with a female.
Is the correct answer. However the other old service forums and even the civvy engineer forums do suffer the same tendancies. Ex forces middle age to OAPs reliving the crew room language. Alas it is open to the real world to see and for the unintelligent junior journalist to use. Saw it with a Daily Express article straight out of the engineers forum!

oldmansquipper
3rd May 2018, 21:55
I know that I should not have bothered, but who writes this incoherent tripe?

In so doing, we raise critical questions about the nature of ‘anonymity’ and the complex tensions in and negotiations of private and public, visibility and invisibility that occur through it and the framing and monetising of particular online communities for economic and political purpose.

Probably the same people who rebranded the RAF earlier this year. Ask the relevant air commode.

cynicalint
3rd May 2018, 22:07
I now lecture at a university and recognise that these sort of papers are prevalent in disciplines trying hard to be "Academic". They try to create an exclusivity through the use of obscure jargon. Consequently, they produce reams of convoluted verbiage but little, if any, information of any worth. The fact the paper concentrates mainly on Arrse, or Navy Net, shows they were struggling hard to find any real evidence to support their hypothesis.

The Old Fat One
3rd May 2018, 22:15
even money it's an ex-serviceman/woman trotting out some low-hanging fruit trying to get recognised as an academic

MPN11
4th May 2018, 07:42
i used to contribute on ARRSE 'significantly', and to a lesser extent on Rum Ration. I abandoned both as I became tired of the gratuitous use of obscene language and sexism ... it seemed like a contest between the [mainly] yoof to see who could be the most offensive without actually getting banned.