PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice - Using 'Military' flying hours towards PPL

Thalassophobia
2nd May 2018, 11:37
I'm a military pilot under training and would like to gain my PPL(A) Qual. Having graduated from Grading and Elementary Flying Training, I have around 60 hours on the Grob 115E (Tutor). In Short, I would like to use these hours towards getting my qualification.

I have been told various things with regards to using military hours towards civilian flying (with respect to whether it's allowed or not), however all of these hours are done in a 'G' registered aircraft and for the most part under the instruction of a contracted civilian instructor. Therefore I personally believe they are as civilian as they can be.

Just trying to get as much advice/knowledge as possible before I approach an ATO to start flying/doing my exams etc.

Hopefully this sparks a conversation,

Thanks all

Basophobia
2nd May 2018, 20:18
...it’s not looking ideal for you.

As as an EFT graduate I think you are exempt the requirement to undergo formal theoretical training for the exams. You can just go ahead and take them.

Your flying experience will not count I’m afraid (if I understand the regs) because you do not meet the minimum of 10 hours PIC/PICUS. Therefore you will need to fly the normally required 25 hours dual instruction at an ATO. Plus the solo requirements and QXC before skills test.

Like I said, I’m a bit out of touch with the regs these days. Maybe someone else can translate CAP 804 into jackspeak for you. Nice username by the way 😉

Whopity
2nd May 2018, 21:40
Go to the US for a short holiday. Gain a FAA PPL then convert it.

TheOddOne
2nd May 2018, 22:09
I had a chap last year who had done 70 hours at Barkston Heath and had the hours credited. He had to do all 9 exams (but not the RT Practical!) 'training as required' for the Skills test and the cross-country, as he hadn't done it at BH. He chose to do the CPL x-country distance to save having to do it again later. I believe he got approval from the CAA on a per case basis for the credit - worth pursuing. He's now left the forces and doing ATPL theory etc. As he was in current flying practice it only took 4 hours plus the solo x-country to come up to Skill Test.

TOO

anchorhold
3rd May 2018, 07:19
I think there was a similar earlier thread regarding UAS hours towards a UK PPL, and from memory, I think only a limited number of the hours could be counted towards if any towards the UK PLL. I had a feeling there was 'an aggrement between the MOD and CAA, not to allow UAS hours towards a UK PPL. I will look this up.

Basophobia
3rd May 2018, 09:11
Can anyone clarify whether the fact that the OPs EFT hours count as they were not provided at a registered ATO.

Whopity
3rd May 2018, 10:45
Most people with Military experience obtained a NPPL, converted it to a LAPL and thence to an EASA PPL, but that route ceased on 8th April 2018. The door is now closed.

AllanA
3rd May 2018, 16:58
Most people with Military experience obtained a NPPL, converted it to a LAPL and thence to an EASA PPL, but that route ceased on 8th April 2018. The door is now closed.

I had a chap ask me exactly the same question as the OP, may even be the OP, and I said exactly this. The NPPL’s HoT Jon Cooke had reviewed a number of service log books for me and given ‘required training’ advice which we have followed and after NPPL applied for LAPL and on the PPL. The chap who asked me said he just wanted to fly recreationally at the weekends whilst going through training so I said an NPPL would probably satisfy his appetite to fly recreationally during his training.