PDA

View Full Version : EK storing Aircraft at DWC

Smoke mountain
30th Apr 2018, 19:42
According to aviation analyst EK are storing jets at DWC due to overcapacity, lower demand, pilot walkouts, weak loads, etc

• This month:
11 x Boeing 777
1 x A380

• May 2018:
14 x 777s
6 x A380s

• June 2018:
11 x 777s and 3 x A380s

any one can confirm that from EK chaps?

White Knight
30th Apr 2018, 20:48
Summer of Discontent! It's been building up for a while and now they find they have stuffed themselves up BIG time!

DutchExpat
30th Apr 2018, 22:02
https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2018/04/30/emirates-is-storing-over-45-planes-in-the-next-few-months/

SOPS
30th Apr 2018, 22:18
That is a very interesting article. I’m sure AAR thinks that the ship is still on course!

Buckshot16
1st May 2018, 03:43
Counted 12 B777 on apron near EFTA and 2 B777 on cargo stand on the S bays. Didn't see any A380's.

dustyflightdeck
1st May 2018, 03:54
12 parked and I am still flying 90 hours!! :eek:

gtaflyer
1st May 2018, 04:21
That is a very interesting article. I’m sure AAR thinks that the ship is still on course!
yes ship is still on course sailing on calm evening heading for the iceberg

EPOS
1st May 2018, 05:37
By the end of this week there will be 15 777 and 7 A380s parked at Dubai South!

BANANASBANANAS
1st May 2018, 07:34
yes ship is still on course sailing on calm evening heading for the iceberg

We hit the iceberg over 2 years ago. But noone on the bridge had the cojones to tell the captain that we were sinking.

Now is the time for the lifejackets.

BigGeordie
1st May 2018, 10:38
Are those cumulative or discrete numbers? Are the 11x777 stored in April the same 11 as June or is that going to be an extra 11? Makes a big difference but either way isn’t good.

Monarch Man
1st May 2018, 10:58
I think Big G the article has cumulatively added the numbers, next month at 20 frames seems to be the worst.
Its their mess to tidy-up, didnt seem like much chaos the other day in the fleet office, they all seemed rather relaxed, possibly due to the bonus coming at them :E

pilotguy1222
1st May 2018, 11:25
We hit the iceberg over 2 years ago. But noone on the bridge had the cojones to tell the captain that we were sinking.

That always seems to be the issue here. The stinking radio operator had the iceberg report in has hand, yet didn't pass it up the chain.

One of our VP's is a person who takes meticulous minutes during meetings that happen with all department heads. This occurs frequently, but I do not know how often. So just very recently when the pilot shortage was brought up, STC questioned AAR about that. AAR stated that he was unaware of a pilot shortage. This VP pushed forward minutes in excess from 50 meetings where it was brought up, and of which AAR was attending. STC apparently went ballistic, and rightly so.

Same story from medical. A DR. might tell you how their boss will pump out reports of how "efficient" they are running, but it is merely because they are short staffed big time and getting worked to death.

EchoKilla
1st May 2018, 13:01
https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2018/04/30/emirates-is-storing-over-45-planes-in-the-next-few-months/

$46 million a month? Has anyone sent AAR the articles and figures so he can do the needful? :hmm:

PositiveRate876
1st May 2018, 13:56

I'm sure in Dubai-style they'll report that this was the best and biggest iceberg in the whole world, it cost in excess of 2 billion to produce, it has a separate VIP section, and is gold plated on top! There's also a ladies-only iceberg behind.

motley flight crue
1st May 2018, 14:07
Positive rate, hilarious way to look at it ��

EchoKilla
1st May 2018, 14:25
Managa Crew Ops - the British fella apparently put in his papers. Jobs out on IVN this morn. Seems more shuffling and ruffling going on the 3rd floor and 9th these days..........

flareflyer
1st May 2018, 15:59
Managa Crew Ops - the British fella apparently put in his papers. Jobs out on IVN this morn. Seems more shuffling and ruffling going on the 3rd floor and 9th these days..........
can you please explain?
Thanks

Joker11
1st May 2018, 16:30

Sweet. New career opportunity!

Smoke mountain
1st May 2018, 16:40
I've always said the EK orders and way of doing business is going to turn on them one day!
Too many A380s Too many Aircraft!
Hope things change soon otherwise kiss your jobs good bye chaps!

NowThatsFunny
1st May 2018, 17:46
What needs to happen is that when those 40+ aircraft are parked at DWC, someone should take a photo showing the scale of the situation and send it directly to the boss, bypassing his minions, to show him what his staff are not.

burkster
1st May 2018, 19:00
What needs to happen is that when those 40+ aircraft are parked at DWC, someone should take a photo showing the scale of the situation and send it directly to the boss, bypassing his minions, to show him what his staff are not.
I don't think there will be 40+ at any given time. The count seems to be cumulative. You can see it now. Drive along the road near DWC where the entrance to Dubai Airshow is. Most of the aircrafts can be seen parked there.

LHR Rain
1st May 2018, 20:34
Who doesn’t have their applications out yet?

SOPS
1st May 2018, 21:40
Hi Mate, can you decode this post please?

motley flight crue
2nd May 2018, 02:20
Why should you take a photo of aircraft and show STC. If he was proactive, all he needs to do is take a drive there and look, all he needs to do is go to rostering and ask the clerks how short of pilots are we, go to the hangar and ask how short of engineers are we. He doesn’t seem to care, no one except the employees do.

fatbus
2nd May 2018, 04:14
Motley is right , STC only cares about the money . The sooner pilots realize they are hired labour the better off they will be . Full bucket = move on

donpizmeov
2nd May 2018, 04:21
SOPs .the manager of cabin crew, a grade 10 position, is saying hoo roo. His job is being advertised on internal vacancies. The low cost fella who replaced Terry Daly seems to have the same management style as ATC .Looks like more managers in service delivery are looking alsewhere.

Monarch Man
2nd May 2018, 04:27
SOPs .the manager of cabin crew, a grade 10 position, is saying hoo roo. His job is being advertised on internal vacancies. The low cost fella who replaced Terry Daly seems to have the same management style as ATC .Looks like more managers in service delivery are looking alsewhere.

People don't leave jobs, they leave Managers, or in this case zee Stasi MK2.

As for the rest thinking STC doesn't care, correct he doesn't, which shouldn't be a surprise BTW, he was allegedly overheard recently remarking as much during a luncheon in Europe.

GoreTex
2nd May 2018, 05:53
I come back, month on month off, 50k USD, easy

donpizmeov
2nd May 2018, 05:55
Also seems he doesn't like being called Tim.

Icarus2001
2nd May 2018, 08:42
The sooner pilots realize they are hired labour the better off they will be

What else can line pilots be other than hired labour fatbus?

777boyindubai
2nd May 2018, 08:54
https://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/article/01/05/2018/Emirates-reducing-fleet-size-due-to-severe-pilot-shortage-and-low-demand

BECMG
2nd May 2018, 11:02
I don’t understand. Is it because they did not recruit enough pilots or is it because pilots are really leaving. It’s hard to believe that pilots would leave Emirates. This news is kind of shocking. I don’t follow Middke East news so much but what is really going on here. This has been going on for sometime ?

Jack D
2nd May 2018, 11:08

How about respected employees?

Lynx8
2nd May 2018, 11:27
BECGM, the simple answer, and it is valid for any company, is at the following link:
https://www.pprune.org/middle-east/608125-newton-s-third-law.html
What goes around comes around. Any doubt?

GEB74
2nd May 2018, 15:18
Err - That article is utter ****e. The numbers quoted are the pre-planned parking totals in each specific month.
Some braindead imbecile / someone with an agenda has added the three months totals up to make a big story...........
Reality is between 5% and 8% of the fleet in storage at DWC (without getting into whats also lazing around at DXB on low utilisation.....)
Oooh - and look, the highest parking month is the month most affected by Ramadan - who would of thought it?

Adam Barfy
2nd May 2018, 16:14
Err - That article is utter ****e. The numbers quoted are the pre-planned parking totals in each specific month

Nice try Management Troll. But there shouldn’t be ANY parked aircraft at DWC or anywhere else 🤬

Jack D
2nd May 2018, 16:51
Err - That article is utter ****e. The numbers quoted are the pre-planned parking totals in each specific month.
Some braindead imbecile / someone with an agenda has added the three months totals up to make a big story...........
Reality is between 5% and 8% of the fleet in storage at DWC (without getting into whats also lazing around at DXB on low utilisation.....)
Oooh - and look, the highest parking month is the month most affected by Ramadan - who would of thought it?

Around 20 aircraft then ? Seems rather a lot to me

Joker11
2nd May 2018, 16:56
I know for a fact that 777s are standing at DWC. Just trying to find out which A380s have gone.

Jack D
2nd May 2018, 17:06
Around 20 aircraft then ? Seems rather a lot to me

20 a/c require around 500 pilots for long range / med range ops,is that about right ? Seems I’ve heard that number somewhere before .

RK Blue sky
3rd May 2018, 00:39
Delta! Plus many other airlines. Pull your head out and realize there’s a much better world outside the Middle East. Where do you think all of EK pilots are leaving for? Not all the escapees are driving trains.

donpizmeov
3rd May 2018, 02:54
Delta! Plus many other airlines. Pull your head out and realize there’s a much better world outside the Middle East. Where do you think all of EK pilots are leaving for? Not all the escapees are driving trains.

Wasn't delta kicking pilots out on the streets a while back? Hasn't happened with SOPs lot. He might be onto something.

SOPS
3rd May 2018, 03:41
They are desperate for train drivers here. 4 courses planned this year! As I retirement job, I can totally recommend it!!

Commander Taco
3rd May 2018, 04:25
Emirates to park 46 planes due to shortage of pilots and decreased seasonal demand ? News In Flight (http://newsinflight.com/2018/05/02/emirates-to-park-46-planes-due-to-shortage-of-pilots-and-decreased-seasonal-demand/)

RK Blue sky
3rd May 2018, 09:22
Wasn't delta kicking pilots out on the streets a while back? Hasn't happened with SOPs lot. He might be onto something.

Yeah Don, 15 years ago. That’s a lifetime in aviation.
Who wouldn’t want to go to Delta now? Especially if you compare it to this heap of crap we’re experiencing now.

Sailvi767
3rd May 2018, 11:39

Delta’s last furlough was 14 or 15 years ago. In the 2009 economic crash they retained all pilots despite being over staffed by 600 pilots.

donpizmeov
3rd May 2018, 16:12
Well I am sure that will make all those poor dudes that were kicked out onto the streets feel much better .

Laker
3rd May 2018, 16:27
Those poor guys kicked out on the streets are making over $300k and in many cases over 400k now. With complete control over their schedules.

RK Blue sky
3rd May 2018, 19:02
Those poor guys kicked out on the streets are making over $300k and in many cases over 400k now. With complete control over their schedules.

Its no use trying to talk logic. Some pilots are stuck here and have to justify why they are not leaving this dump.
But it’s good for them though.

harry the cod
3rd May 2018, 21:05
A good friend of mine retired from EK last year at age 65. He returned 'home' to the US and now works for Delta, his previous employer, as a ground instructor. He does this not because he wants to but because he needs to. Delta stole his pension 15 years ago and 'invested' his money in a re branding exercise after coming out of Chapter 11. He lost everything. So much for having a union. He came to Emirates 13 years ago and slowly rebuilt his finances. Some of his colleagues stayed at Delta and he admitted himself that if he'd stayed, he'd probably be better off schedule wise although financially, it would be about even. Even so, the fact that he lost his pension left a bitter taste and he always said how grateful he was to EK for affording him the chance to start again as a DEC.

I do wonder sometimes who the 'Kool Aid' drinkers really are? Short term memory or selective memory perhaps? Either way, the Stockholm syndrome seems just as prevelent in the good ol US of A as it is in the sandpit! Those airlines dropped you guys like hot potatoes yet it amazes me how loyal you remain. I guess rose tinted spectacles must be on sale in Walgreens these days, eh boys? Wonder how much the CEO's lost out during Chapter 11!

Anyway, wind up aside, not for one minute do I think EK's conditions, especially lifestyle, can match some of the more established carriers, both in the US and in Europe. However, what I do find amazing is how anytime an EK pilot provides his salary information, he's accused of bragging. Yet, Delta pilots seem immune from this criticism. All I do know is that any relative senior Training Captain within EK who's taking the live out allowance, will easily clear over $290,000 tax free each year. That's achievable after 18 years service.

I don't think anyone needs to justify anything with those figures RK Blue sky.

As for being stuck, yep, agreed, life is pretty crap to be honest. Weekend off so brunch tomorrow, then the boat Saturday with friends. Sunday school run......safe in the knowledge that no loser will be charging around campus with a semi automatic.

But it's good for you though.

Harry

Bowwing
3rd May 2018, 21:22
Harry,

Safe... School run. Whilst your reference to madmen running amok on campus is crude it's your total omission of the danger you face on the school run itself that is perhaps the greater example of rose tinted spectacle wearing.. Maybe the specs at Life pharmacy are even cheaper!

Seriously Harry, most of the mad men you refer to in the US are subsequently diagnosed with a 'delusional disorder' maybe you should get yourself checked out too.. perhaps they started out spouting total utter nonsense on Internet forums too!

harry the cod
3rd May 2018, 21:25
I think the statistics speak for themselves my friend. How many each year are killed by guns in the US? Crude? No, the reality of highlighting the dangers of a society where gun ownership is considered acceptable.

Luckily we can do the school run on foot.....but thanks for your concern!

Harry

dustyflightdeck
3rd May 2018, 21:52
I'm more worried about the G wagons

mmmbop
4th May 2018, 00:04
As for being stuck, yep, agreed, life is pretty crap to be honest. Weekend off so brunch tomorrow, then the boat Saturday with friends.

Harry

Harry I enjoy your commentary, which on the whole is generally balanced. I do read it, though, with the underlying realisation that you are stuck where you are and can't go anywhere. Fair enough, you make the most of it, so good on you.

When you state you're off to a Friday brunch then boating on Saturday, there is not one iota of envy in me, nor most who live in a western country I'd imagine. The Brunch/Boat Dubai lifestyle is one that is used to forget where one lives, as opposed to 'living a nice lifestyle.' The brunches are overpriced payments for poor quality food, among people obliterating every thought of where they are through excessive alcohol consumption, and the 'boating' in the Gulf waters, no matter how many times you manoeuvre up to the Burj for a photo, is not a pleasant and memory making day as it is around American/UK/Canada/Europe/Aust/NZ etc waters. It is another illusion built in a country of illusions, a country that is no longer just slowly cracking to show what's underneath. And it ain't pretty.

The Outlaw
4th May 2018, 00:52
A good friend of mine retired from EK last year at age 65. He returned 'home' to the US and now works for Delta, his previous employer, as a ground instructor. He does this not because he wants to but because he needs to. Delta stole his pension 15 years ago and 'invested' his money in a re branding exercise after coming out of Chapter 11. He lost everything. So much for having a union. He came to Emirates 13 years ago and slowly rebuilt his finances. Some of his colleagues stayed at Delta and he admitted himself that if he'd stayed, he'd probably be better off schedule wise although financially, it would be about even. Even so, the fact that he lost his pension left a bitter taste and he always said how grateful he was to EK for affording him the chance to start again as a DEC.

I do wonder sometimes who the 'Kool Aid' drinkers really are? Short term memory or selective memory perhaps? Either way, the Stockholm syndrome seems just as prevelent in the good ol US of A as it is in the sandpit! Those airlines dropped you guys like hot potatoes yet it amazes me how loyal you remain. I guess rose tinted spectacles must be on sale in Walgreens these days, eh boys? Wonder how much the CEO's lost out during Chapter 11!

Anyway, wind up aside, not for one minute do I think EK's conditions, especially lifestyle, can match some of the more established carriers, both in the US and in Europe. However, what I do find amazing is how anytime an EK pilot provides his salary information, he's accused of bragging. Yet, Delta pilots seem immune from this criticism. All I do know is that any relative senior Training Captain within EK who's taking the live out allowance, will easily clear over $290,000 tax free each year. That's achievable after 18 years service.

As for being stuck, yep, agreed, life is pretty crap to be honest. Weekend off so brunch tomorrow, then the boat Saturday with friends. Sunday school run......safe in the knowledge that no loser will be charging around campus with a semi automatic.

Harry

I'd agree with you on this one Harry, it is crap. The overpriced brunches surrounded by those who stuff their faces and wasting food while getting drunk to excess. Boating? Well I suppose if you enjoy having to get permission from the authorities to go on the water every time and then be tracked everywhere you go even though there are increasingly less places to go where you won't incur some 5000 AED fine for some infraction or rule that no-one knows anything about...then yes! Its a nice day on the water...that is once you have all the yearly requisite paperwork, licenses and inspections in place!

It aint what it used to be ol bean!

dubaigong
4th May 2018, 01:27
When I compare my boating experience here or on the beautiful lakes in Arizona , I will not hesitate a second and I will run back to Arizona.
I am not american but believe me if I had the opportunity to go and fly there , I will leave right away...
Driving there was a dream , the landscape was stuning , you had the desert BUT also mountains , natural lakes , trees etc...
Dubaï is just a gold artificial prison full of fake sense of happiness.

I am happy you are enjoying it ...

clear to land
4th May 2018, 03:26
I don't really understand why there are continued references to the US American Legacy carriers-only US Citizens/Green Card holders are eligible to even apply let alone get accepted! That effectively excludes the majority of EK pilots. If you are eligible and haven't already gone either: it works for you here or you got knocked back. BTW the conditions at the 'top of the tree' at US Legacy carriers are very similar to those of BA, QF, AF, LH and KLM (which also require citizenship and in some cases language skills) and apply to a very small percentage of the pilots at those carriers. If you have seniority more than 15 years here then you are have a package worth approximately $US260k without Training allowance, school fees or Provident Fund included. Yes China pays significantly more without any seniority but we are all aware of why that is and that assumes that they will accept your passport.

That is the crux-Legacy conditions exist for a select view based on Nationality combined with Seniority. Most expat pilots don't fit the criteria to have ever been eligible for positions like that. For those that do factors such as timing in industry cycle or a desire to expand horizons and desire for more professional challenge have precluded those options anyway. In the end it's 'horses for courses'. For those from South America and Africa personal safety dictates this is a much better place to be-as said earlier Dubai traffic is one of the biggest threats but it pales into insignificance when you have to worry about civil unrest. Personally I completely understand the dramatic rise in Home Schooling in the US-if I could live there I doubt I would send my kids to a public school as it would be too stressful. Remember you get one life-its up to the individual to determine which balance works for themselves.

Dirigible
4th May 2018, 04:05
What’s this got to do with storing a/c at DEC? There are a lot of other threads for EK guys to air their grievances, but let’s keep this one one topic.

Sorry Dog
4th May 2018, 04:44
Let me apologize in advance for contributing to the thread drift...
Personally I completely understand the dramatic rise in Home Schooling in the US-if I could live there I doubt I would send my kids to a public school as it would be too stressful. Remember you get one life-its up to the individual to determine which balance works for themselves.

I think you are misunderstanding the situation. If you have some control over where you reside and which school system you can pick, then there are some wonderful school systems in the U.S. where your child can get a world class experience for the cost of paying your taxes plus a few nominal fees. If you were referring to the stress of your child's school being in international news for gun violence.... well the odds of taking an EK flight that CFITs in is probably greater.

The public high school I went had golf, gymnastics, swimming, baseball, both kinds of football, lacrosse, debate, theatre, and a bunch of other stuff I forget. 300 students in my class and around 270 of them went to some kind of university. I'm not trying to brag. The academics at many western European schools is sure to be top notch. Just be aware that in the U.S., like many other places, the quality of public schools can vary quite A LOT.

Camelonglide
4th May 2018, 04:52
harry the cod;

Nothing is stopping EK from keeping the Provident Funds if business goes real bad (US carrier chapter 11). Remember that you have to go via their offices con claim it back. EK could just give you an end of benefit like any other UAE employees...[/left]

EK7777
4th May 2018, 06:44
I know for a fact that 777s are standing at DWC. Just trying to find out which A380s have gone.
A6-EDB, EDL, EEZ and EOO are parked at DWC.

wishiwasupthere
4th May 2018, 09:29
An EK 777 arrived in Alice Springs (Aus) this morning to go into storage.

EK7777
4th May 2018, 09:37

That's not technically going in for storage, it's there temporarily till taken over by Cathay Pacific. It's one of the older non-ER 777-300s.

bafanguy
4th May 2018, 11:39
I don't really understand why there are continued references to the US American Legacy carriers-only US Citizens/Green Card holders are eligible to even apply let alone get accepted! That effectively excludes the majority of EK pilots. If you are eligible and haven't already gone either: it works for you here or you got knocked back.

clear to land,

It’s not clear what you mean by “knocked back” but if you mean interviewed and rejected, that might be so in some cases but there’s another equally, if not more likely, explanation: can’t get an interview with a US career-destination carrier in the first place.

Just for the record, the US has legion upon legion of highly qualified candidates who can’t get a chance to be rejected because they can’t get an interview in the first place. This group contains eligible people flying in the ME, I can assure you.

These people have great quals, clean records, have applied repeatedly, spent great time/effort/money and even flown half way around the world to attend phony-baloney “career fairs” in hopes of just getting themselves a chance to be “knocked back”…and suddenly, nothing happened.

It’s Jungle Rules. Makes me feel fortunate to be old and unwanted. :ok:

dallad
4th May 2018, 11:51
harry the cod;

This is my first time ever posting on this forum as a long time lurker. I think I know who the guy was who left Delta to fly at EK was. He was a 737-800 captain who was pretty senior at the time, and when he left some of us had to scratch our heads. Yes, at the time economically it was a good decision for him, but in the long run it was terrible. I am now a 75/76 line check airman and have earned over $470k gross the last three years. My PBGC benefit is going to be $6400 per month. We all received over $350k on average for the loss of pension in the sale of 2 different notes. In addition I received 4500 shares of company stock after the merger with Northwest. So, the loss of the pension hurt pretty bad, but was lessened by the money we received post bankruptcy. My profit sharing checks the last 5 years are also over $300k.

RK Blue sky
4th May 2018, 11:55
If I get hired at Delta it won’t be good for me, it will be f#$&ing fantastic! If you stay at Emirates it will be bad for you in terms of health, stress and lifestyle.
Let’s put the gun debate in proper prospective. Since 1980 there have been about 450 people die on school campus’ from firearms and that includes suicides and accidental discharges. Although that number is too high that averages about one a month and we as Emirates pilots are far more likely to be harmed on SZR than being effected by a gun.
The contunied references to Legacy Airlines I believe is for us to strive to meet their conditions and hopefully improve our lot. It’s not happening but we can only wish and hope for a better life here or get the He11 out which a lot of pilots that aren’t stuck at Emirates are attempting to do.
Most of the Legacy Airlines have loads of applications from pilots and Emirates is parking airplanes. That in a nutshell tells everyone what kind of operations are being run by the various airlines. There is a pilot shortage but it is only at the airlines at the lower end of the pay spectrum. It’s good for some people though.

Sheikh Your Bootie
4th May 2018, 12:36
A6-EMQ went into storage at Alice Springs, old -300. Its a white tail. For all movements in and out of storage look here, plus other nuggets you don't see on official channels.

The EK Source ? Emirates News and Information (http://theeksource.com)

SyB :ok:

aeropix
4th May 2018, 13:12
A6-EMQ went into storage at Alice Springs, old -300. Its a white tail. For all movements in and out of storage look here, plus other nuggets you don't see on official channels.

The EK Source ? Emirates News and Information (http://theeksource.com)

SyB :ok:

Thank's for trying to "de-drift" the thread, and for an interesting nugget of knowledge.

Camelonglide
4th May 2018, 14:47

Harry

Harry a very balanced comments indeed.
What happened to your US of A friend and colleague could happen here as well if EK business turns sour all of a sudden.
Even if the Provident Fund is under our name, we have to claim it via EK offices after resignation.
One day (hopefully never) Emirates could easily amend the contract via email and award an end of service benefits according to UAE law instead ...

Joker11
4th May 2018, 17:14

A6-EMQ. As per planespotters.net its meant to go to CX.

notapilot15
4th May 2018, 18:58
Is there any truth to Delta stole my pension stories? They transferred pension obligations to pension benefit guarantee agency during bankruptcy.

fliion
4th May 2018, 19:57
If I get hired at Delta it won’t be good for me, it will be f#$&ing fantastic! If you stay at Emirates it will be bad for you in terms of health, stress and lifestyle.
Let’s put the gun debate in proper prospective. Since 1980 there have been about 450 people die on school campus’ from firearms and that includes suicides and accidental discharges. Although that number is too high that averages about one a month and we as Emirates pilots are far more likely to be harmed on SZR than being effected by a gun.
The contunied references to Legacy Airlines I believe is for us to strive to meet their conditions and hopefully improve our lot. It’s not happening but we can only wish and hope for a better life here or get the He11 out which a lot of pilots that aren’t stuck at Emirates are attempting to do.
Most of the Legacy Airlines have loads of applications from pilots and Emirates is parking airplanes. That in a nutshell tells everyone what kind of operations are being run by the various airlines. There is a pilot shortage but it is only at the airlines at the lower end of the pay spectrum. It’s good for some people though.

Delta is a great job but only about 7% of the EK pilot group are eligible to apply. So it’s a fringe debate. One would need to compare to an airline where over 50% could apply to make it relevant.

bafanguy
4th May 2018, 20:10
Is there any truth to Delta stole my pension stories? They transferred pension obligations to pension benefit guarantee agency during bankruptcy.

The Thread Drift Police would have a fit if I gave you the explanation. And it would cause large clumps of your brain cells to implode in death spasms of boredom.

dabrat
5th May 2018, 05:52
Emirates Fleet of B777 (Stored) | Airfleets aviation (http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Emirates-stored-b777.htm)

Fuzuma
5th May 2018, 06:38
I am not american but believe me if I had the opportunity to go and fly there , I will leave right away...

If you’re so serious.....then check out Cape Air in Massachusetts, they’ll offer you the opportunity to go and fly there......

dubaigong
5th May 2018, 09:12
If you’re so serious.....then check out Cape Air in Massachusetts, they’ll offer you the opportunity to go and fly there......

Of course I am serious BUT I am not sure they will give me the job without a green card… I will try
Thanks for the info

Rabbitwear
5th May 2018, 09:26
So many guys want to work for EK , just need bases or 1 month on one month off in DXB , I can’t believe they would park aircraft instead !
Its not that hard !

TBSC
5th May 2018, 09:33
DWC depot.
https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/992449652564905984

dustyflightdeck
5th May 2018, 09:42
14x 777s parked in May and I still have >90 hrs roster and only 150 pilots short STC says!!! Bollocks!

EK7777
5th May 2018, 11:52
Now 6 A380s at DWC. A6-EDH just moved there this afternoon.

dabrat
5th May 2018, 14:44
Was told QR management say pilots resigning can go because they have lots of crew from EY waiting to join. Thought EY was seconding Crew to EK to help alleviate the shortage ? And wouldn’t that be a better job prospect for them than QR? Why is it so acute?

SOPS
5th May 2018, 15:00
Now 6 A380s at DWC. A6-EDH just moved there this afternoon.
Seems like a good way to run an airline... keep aircraft on the ground!!

Xulu
5th May 2018, 15:10
Was told QR management say pilots resigning can go because they have lots of crew from EY waiting to join. Thought EY was seconding Crew to EK to help alleviate the shortage ? And wouldn’t that be a better job prospect for them than QR? Why is it so acute?

They were supposed to - on furlough to be recalled when EY wanted. However EK demanded the pilots be given a choice to stay on in Dubai; discussions ceased and those pilots are now going to QR.

gtaflyer
5th May 2018, 15:16
I don’t get it !! only some months ago uae were trying to bury Qatar and now Qatar wants to help nameless airline ?i think it’s bull****Was told QR management say pilots resigning can go because they have lots of crew from EY waiting to join. Thought EY was seconding Crew to EK to help alleviate the shortage ? And wouldn’t that be a better job prospect for them than QR? Why is it so acute?

gtaflyer
5th May 2018, 15:23
You know there was a time when some pilots left Ek and deserted there brand new cars in the airport car park when leaving suddenly. This seems similar but the airline is doing it with aircraft now.

DWC depot.
https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/992449652564905984

Fuzuma
6th May 2018, 05:22
Of course I am serious BUT I am not sure they will give me the job without a green card… I will try
Thanks for the info

Cape Air is working in conjuction with a company called OMS.....OMS will arrange the green card if you are offered the job by Cape Air....

pilotchute
6th May 2018, 06:34
Yes but the green card will cost you 34k over 3 years. Its not free!

Instant Hooligan
6th May 2018, 06:47
Cheaper than an EK bond:):)

LHR Rain
6th May 2018, 11:28
Yes but the green card will cost you 34k over 3 years. Its not free!

Will any of the US Majors provide you with a Green Card or have a process for a Green Card if you’re hired by them. I really don’t want to go to Cape Air but at this point anything is better than EK.

bafanguy
6th May 2018, 14:30
Will any of the US Majors provide you with a Green Card or have a process for a Green Card if you’re hired by them.

LHR,

Other than unsubstantiated speculation (some of it here on pprune) about future trends, nothing has come to light indicating that will/could happen. If it were happening, it'd be impossible to keep under wraps.

At the moment, there's certainly no indication of a need for that.

atpcliff
6th May 2018, 15:22
Will any of the US Majors provide you with a Green Card or have a process for a Green Card if you’re hired by them. I really don’t want to go to Cape Air but at this point anything is better than EK.
SkyWest was hiring Australians. They are a good regional, and the Capt upgrade time is relatively short there. The pay is decent for the US...but not a major.

b737bbj
6th May 2018, 16:10
Departed DWC yesterday and counted a total of 20 EK Passenger aircraft parked including 6 A380's. They were spread over 3 separate locations with most (14) being abeam the 30 threshold at the Airshow ramp.

JammedStab
7th May 2018, 00:10
It also provides something to talk about in ground school when 2 trainers mess up the 10 minute return flight.

What happened?

Desdihold
7th May 2018, 00:27
380 storage:
There is something about the 380 being parked for more than 3 days, after that the gear has to be swung before it flies again.
Not sure of the details but I recall an engineer saying something about that.

777 storage: It can be parked for a longer time, I cant recall the figure but it was certainly more than 30 days.

Cape air:
I flew on them as a pax two years ago out of Boston down to the cape in the back of a Cessna 402.
A Noreaster as the cal them was moving in and it was a very uncomfortable flight. . We also picked up a good chunk of ice, thankfully they keep their anti ice boots well maintained.
All of this is single pilot and these guys do it six legs a day. I take my hat off to them but I wouldn't take it as a retirement job (Don't expect to be flying out of the crbn).

Green card:
The name is thrown around so much and often misused here on pprune.
You can not get a green card through an airline, the green card has permanent resident written on it meaning that you can live and pay taxes in the US for the rest of your life.
Cape air is not a stepping stone for Delta........ wake up and smell the coffee.

Fuzuma
7th May 2018, 09:54
You can not get a green card through an airline, the green card has permanent resident written on it meaning that you can live and pay taxes in the US for the rest of your life.

Actually you’re not quite correct, you can get a green card through an airline, in fact you can get a green card from any employer willing to assist and sponsor you, the employer however needs to have received an approved Application For Permanent Labor Certification, and then you go through an approximate 18-24 month red tape exercise and if the documentation is acceptable then the right to live and work in the US is issued.....

It’s all laid out very clearly on the govt website....

I would agree that perhaps Cape Air to Delta is a tad optimistic, however for those wanting an opportunity to legally immigrate, it’s a start, especially considering one is only contracted to Cape Air for 12 months before being able to move on and apply to an airline of your choice.

EK7777
7th May 2018, 15:27
7th A380 moved to DWC today.
A6-EDG.

gtaflyer
7th May 2018, 17:15
Two trainers ...messing it up sounds about right ...all the training in the world but can’t handle a line normal flight....

The Turtle
7th May 2018, 18:42
Experienced widebody pilots discussing a 402 job in Nantucket ..... My how this world has turned.

777-200LR
7th May 2018, 19:25
Experienced widebody pilots discussing a 402 job in Nantucket ..... My how this world has turned

Mankind's goldfish memory has naturally evolved to forget the bad times when the times are good (in this case, ball being in the pilot's court). Rest assured, the world will turn again and jobs like the 402 in Nantucket will have 50-100 pilots vying for 2 positions and furloughs within the industry will return. It has already happened twice during my lifetime, and I'm willing to bet it will happen again before I retire.

Wannabe Flyer
7th May 2018, 19:39
With all these aircraft stored does anyone have the latest list of routes cut?

flareflyer
8th May 2018, 07:31
Rumours are that they submitted a request to GCAA to fly ulr flights except west coast and Auckland with 3 pilots instead of 4.........

The Outlaw
8th May 2018, 07:45
Rumours are that they submitted a request to GCAA to fly ulr flights except west coast and Auckland with 3 pilots instead of 4.........

If true then they have set themselves up for what may be the biggest accident in aviation history. When flying their crews 90-100 hours every month, this move (if true) would be asking for a disaster. I don't think they would be that ignorant of the consequences.

flareflyer
8th May 2018, 08:29
I agree!!!
I think it is just a rumour.......they cannot be that crazy.....
Again, don't shoot the messenger......

LHR Rain
8th May 2018, 09:40
I agree!!!
I think it is just a rumour.......they cannot be that crazy.....
Again, don't shoot the messenger......

Emirates flew to JFK with 3 pilots in the summer on the A-340. With the FTLs we had back then and the 340 flying as slow as it did (compared to the 380 & 777) one had to start his crew rest while the airplane was rolling down the runway for takeoff to be Legal.
I did that pairing with 3 pilots several times and it was a killer. It was unsafe but that never stopped EK and it won’t stop them in the future.

gtaflyer
8th May 2018, 09:51
How long you been in UAE? You know GCAAand emirates is one body ...exactly thats what going to happen.

DuneMentat
8th May 2018, 10:28
a few sick calls at outstation and a steady stream of asr/fatigue reports should sort it out .. in a couple of years time.. :ugh:

dustyflightdeck
8th May 2018, 10:30
If that is true, then it marks a turning point in which this airline has a extreme lack of regard for safety and I agree that it will eventually result in a serious incident/accident.

I hope that it is just a bad rumour

SOPS
8th May 2018, 10:37
No pilots..aircraft grounded...be real...what do you think the outcome will be (if it is true).

uplock
8th May 2018, 11:28
EK 241 DXB to YYZ ( Toronto) blocked at 14 hrs and operates with 3 crew (2 x Captains 1 x FO)
Sydney - DXB EK 413 blocked at 14:30 ( 4 crew)
2 other Sydney flights EK 415 and EK 417 blocked at 14:10 and planned at a cost index of 250
Im surprised given the shortage of crew its taken them so long to run this one up the flag pole

from routes on line (https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/277231/emirates-toronto-schedule-changes-from-june-2018/) the below info
Emirates from June 2018 is adjusting operational schedule for Dubai – Toronto route, effective 01JUN18. This 3 weekly Airbus A380 service will be moving departure time from Dubai to overnight, instead of morning, while Toronto departure moves from evening hours to afternoon hours.

EK241 DXB0330 – 0930YYZ 388 135
EK242 YYZ1430 – 1130+1DXB 388 135

serf
8th May 2018, 13:34
New 777 route to EDI from 1 October.

notapilot15
8th May 2018, 13:41
No pilots..aircraft grounded...be real...what do you think the outcome will be (if it is true).

Record profits!!! Wait until tomorrow, or is it May 9 already in the sand pit.

givemewings
9th May 2018, 01:32
they cannot be that crazy.....

Cmon Flare... who are we talking about here again?

This is the same company that wants to try make CC share rooms (as if it wasn't bad enough for the poor CSA already) you really expect the 'lazy pilots' to get off without similar experiment on them??

Dropp the Pilot
9th May 2018, 03:14
What this thread needs is more posts from people who never flew an airplane at Emirates but worked in the back, and more trenchant commentary from people who did fly the airplane at Emirates but left and are now oh-so-fulfilled by drinking the dogs, walking the wine and driving the train on the beach. That would be valuable.

fliion
9th May 2018, 04:31
What this thread needs is more posts from people who never flew an airplane at Emirates but worked in the back, and more trenchant commentary from people who did fly the airplane at Emirates but left and are now oh-so-fulfilled by drinking the dogs, walking the wine and driving the train on the beach. That would be valuable.

Ha, classic

givemewings
9th May 2018, 04:39
Dropp, demonstrating why he's top of the class in CRM yet again... 🙄 like it or not the issues at EK affect everyone, yes that includes "down the back". The ones who look after you on those ****ty long ULR. When they can't stand coming to work, it will show. Including not sticking their necks out to do anything extra or nice for you on flights.

If you think I have nothing to contribute, scroll right on by. Not sure why you feel the need to single me out so much. Not the first time you've done it. Play the ball and not the man.

dustyflightdeck
9th May 2018, 04:47
Sorry dropp but I can not agree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but I value very much those down the back especially on a difficult day (and maybe a difficult colleague!), they work a lot harder than we do and they do look after us. Further more as I am strongly considering a career change post EK hearing the delightful stories from SOPS et al just make that dream even so much sweeter :)

The Outlaw
9th May 2018, 07:38

I dunno Dropp...I sort of like hearing about how some folks find life on the outside. It's a nice change to hear about someone enjoying life post EK and doing something different instead of complaining on this site! (and that includes me).

SOPS
9th May 2018, 09:25
I have to say Dropp..I think parking a train on the beach could be somewhat career limiting...!!!!!!

CaptainProp
10th May 2018, 08:44
Actually you’re not quite correct, you can get a green card through an airline, in fact you can get a green card from any employer willing to assist and sponsor you, the employer however needs to have received an approved Application For Permanent Labor Certification, and then you go through an approximate 18-24 month red tape exercise and if the documentation is acceptable then the right to live and work in the US is issued.....

Don’t wanna get too far off topic here but what you are talking about is not a greencard, it’s a sponsored working visa that allows you to work for a specific company for a specified length of time. This visa can then be extended if you fill certain requirements. After x number of years living and working in the US you can then apply for permanent residency and get a Permanent Resident Card.

The only way to get a green card, without fulfilling the requirements for a Permanent Resident Card, is to enter the Diversity Immigration Visa Program, also known as the Green Card Lottery.

CP

White Knight
10th May 2018, 10:22
Looks like they'll be parking more soon after that awesome pay review...

in freedom
10th May 2018, 14:30
STC seems to know more. He insists that the pilot shortage will only last through the summer. I wonder how he intends to fix it. 3 crew ULRs ? Or a merger with Abu Dhabi? Or simply adding a 777 to your driver's license?

Can Emirates change with the times? - Video - Business News (http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2018/05/09/qmb-emirates-airlines-president-tim-clark-dubai.cnnmoney/index.html)

The video reminded me of the dreadful smog you have to live with. More precisely, your families - since you aren't home much.

donpizmeov
10th May 2018, 14:54
They might be winding it all up in Oct. No need for any employees then .Looks legit .

Dirigible
10th May 2018, 15:07
This quote beneath the video got my attention:

"Emirates faces a pilot strike,rising oil, geopolitical instability all around its home hub..".

Birdstrike737
14th May 2018, 22:45
i heard from a Chinese recruiter that EK pilots can no longer get the necessary records they need for a CAAC license? If true, that’s a kind of slavery. Pilots should always be MOBILE, able to follow the best opportunities available worldwide. Airlines which withhold necessary records are violating basic human rights.

SOPS
14th May 2018, 23:03
i heard from a Chinese recruiter that EK pilots can no longer get the necessary records they need for a CAAC license? If true, that’s a kind of slavery. Pilots should always be MOBILE, able to follow the best opportunities available worldwide. Airlines which withhold necessary records are violating basic human rights.
Human rights and EK? That’s funny.

gtaflyer
15th May 2018, 01:38
Reply to bird strike and sops...

my suggestion to those contemplaring leaving is think ahead there is a lot of work to be done. A lot of recruiters not necessarily limited to Chinese recruiters do require a mountain of paperwork. Sometimes letter from chief pilot is required for position held, hours on type, hours in log book stamped and license verification, no incidence/ accidents letter from licensing authority GCAA. This is why one must always keep a paper logbook, paper copy of opc, lpc and biannual sim check documents. Other documents like upgrades courses type ratings courses also. The criminal record check within last six months is a must and medical records with all reports of conditions medications etc at hand. Generally the older you are the more documents required.

as you will realise the above list is quite long but it is by no means exhaustive. it is obvious that a lot of pilots are too settled in their jobs to worry about keeping their personal documents in order or even updated regularly. Airline roster and work pattern will mean most pilots are too fatigued when finishing duty to chase afterdocuments on days off let alone have time to schedule and attend interview. If by some luck they do manage to Succeed and get things done then there is the problem of getting away for the sim and interview most likely abroad somewhere. They will have call in sick to do it. It’s all a vicious circle need to be ready fo break it and implement plan B before your health really suffers. Unfortunately some pilots don’t even realise they are within dangerous envelope until it’s too late. Personaly for me it’s a no brainer now is the best Time to find another position the pilot market is so buoyant it would be criminal not to be ready and explore other opportunities. But guys sorry for ranting on anyway my two fils worth...

Camelonglide
15th May 2018, 13:37

The issue is that some far east companies require some documents stamped and signed by EK. Some of them are partially written in Chinese and EK management is not willing to endorse them. Make sure you ask the recruitment agencies the paperwork required before you spend time and leave to do medical and local atpl exams ...

LHR Rain
15th May 2018, 21:01
The issue is that some far east companies require some documents stamped and signed by EK. Some of them are partially written in Chinese and EK management is not willing to endorse them. Make sure you ask the recruitment agencies the paperwork required before you spend time and leave to do medical and local atpl exams ...

Almost anything required from any airline can be “obtained” online and made to fit their requirements. Just Google what needs to be done.
What you can accomplish is near perfect. The only problem is if you are the only pilot that has a “completed” application and the other pilots from EK have nothing. That’s where you can explain how much Wasta you have or they can surmise that EK wants you gone. Two Big and diametrically opposed scenarios.

Wizofoz
16th May 2018, 15:05
Almost anything required from any airline can be “obtained” online and made to fit their requirements. Just Google what needs to be done.
What you can accomplish is near perfect. The only problem is if you are the only pilot that has a “completed” application and the other pilots from EK have nothing. That’s where you can explain how much Wasta you have or they can surmise that EK wants you gone. Two Big and diametrically opposed scenarios.

There's a lot of this going on, and I can't help but feel it's a ticking time bomb.

Zakary
18th May 2018, 04:31
Boeing 777-31H - Untitled (Air Peace) | Aviation Photo #5006435 | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-Air-Peace/Boeing-777-31H/5006435)

Highway1
19th May 2018, 00:58
The only way to get a green card, without fulfilling the requirements for a Permanent Resident Card, is to enter the Diversity Immigration Visa Program, also known as the Green Card Lottery.

CP

You can also get it through an EB5 investment visa if you have $500,000 spare.

Smoke mountain
19th May 2018, 17:38
any real numbers about pilots shortage ?
the problem that with their fleet there is no other airline that will be able to lease pilots to them ,i think leasing companies is the best option to solve the current problem on short term bases,

High season is coming after Ramadan, what will they do ?

gtaflyer
20th May 2018, 00:32
Landing DXB 30L yesterday saw many 777 lined up and parked to the right of 30R......looked very upsetting and says it all.

BANANASBANANAS
22nd May 2018, 23:47
https://airlinegeeks.com/2018/05/20/how-a-pilot-shortage-has-slowly-been-destroying-emirates/

notapilot15
23rd May 2018, 18:04
Or DXB wants them out unnecessarily occupying valuable space at a busy airport.

Its usual to see B777 aircraft parked there plus the usual A380s parked over by Fly Dubai and the Maintenance hangars, the more concerning aircraft park is the one at DWC!
But I suppose to STC and AAR " they are out of sight so out of mind"!

shukran
23rd May 2018, 18:53
Or DXB wants them out unnecessarily occupying valuable space at a busy airport.

So parking them instead of having them flying routes is the answer to the "over occupancy"? Perhaps EK shouldn't have expanded at the rate they did, or perhaps they should have better working conditions for the entire operating crew (Pilots/Cabin Crew/etc)?