PDA

View Full Version : What to review from ground school?

SPETTSKY
29th Apr 2018, 14:55
Hi all,

I've just finished the ground school phase of training on an integrated, ab initio course.

Any suggestions to what I should have a quick recap before I begin my flight training, which would be beneficial to a cadet with limited previous flight experience?

Thanks

VinRouge
1st May 2018, 08:20
Hi all,

I've just finished the ground school phase of training on an integrated, ab initio course.

Any suggestions to what I should have a quick recap before I begin my flight training, which would be beneficial to a cadet with limited previous flight experience?

Thanks
Get yourself a copy of the following documents:

CAP 413. Use it like the bible with ALL your comms. Learn how to do a freecall. Learn how to read back clearances, altitudes and reported traffic to the letter. To be a professional, you need to sound like a professional.

EU OPS easy access rules. Dependant on type, however, PART CAT >Performance >PERFORMANCE B will be relevant for Twin work.

Have a look on SENECAV.uk very good website and lots of excellent tips.

UK AIP ENR - make sure you fully understand VFR and IFR, VMC, IMC definitions. Airspace classifications. Definitions for procedural, basic, traffic, deconfliction and radar control.

Get a copy of the SERA regulations. Read them.

Get a copy of the CAA Skyway Code. Use it like the new testament.

Get a copy of the CAA guide to vfr rules. Use it like a prayer book.

Get a copy of jeppy plates for all the airfields you will learn at. Study them. Read all the notes and ensure that you embody any restrictions in how you operate from day one.

Oh, don't forget to enjoy the flying. It's why you are doing this!

Get really comfortable with your checks. Execute the airborne stuff as flow, where the checklists are used to confirm your knowledge. know each and every emergency in your lists and know whether a particular checklist is likely to flow on from another in likely scenarios. For example, engine fire - shutdown - review systems and associated captions post shutdown.

PM me if you are struggling with any element from an understanding perspective.

Piloto Maluco
1st May 2018, 13:03
Thanks a million VinRouge,

that's amazing!!

VinRouge
1st May 2018, 14:17
Other stuff, make sure you know how to decode TAFs and METARS. download some from around the world to see the different conditions and phenomena possible. There are a lot of 2 letter weather phenomenon! When you go pro, the US and even canada have different TAF/METAR systems, particularly with respect to remarks ( RMK). For now, stick to the UK system.

Know how to decode a SNOWTAM and practice applying temperature error correction early November time.

Know what CAVOK means.

Know what PROB30/40 and TEMPO mean.

Know how often metars are pushed out at civvie and military airfields. You can use civvie airfield TAF for situational awareness if short of open civvie places.

Get the Met Office F214 and F215 decodes off of the UK met office website.

Get a decent NOTAM Decode and understand the different types of NOTAM you can find. There are lots. Practice again using a notam server around the world. Relate this to what you learned on your ATPL groundschool in OPS PROCEDURES.

Of all the things you will study, MET will stick with you through your career. Have a go at forecasting a few airports once or twice a week off of a Met Office synoptic chart, GLOBALLY! Use the TAF to see how you get on.... This is what you will be expected to do (big picture stuff) when doing this professionally, particularly in africa, where you get a forecaster TAF once a fortnight and only if he isnt high on Kush.

Of all the things I know and use, MET is the most useful on a day to day basis as a global heavy pilot as it will determine LOTS of the Op decision making.

Again, top of my head stuff that I use daily and will be of use on a course.

Get yourself a moleskine book, A5. Have sections for Ops, Tech, Met and useful websites. Anything you learn that is of future value, write it in that book. Reference the source and date it. Once you are a 20+ stone ATPL holder eating first class in flight and bored flying over the great Canadian FA for the third time that month, you can dig that little book out and remind yourself of all the stuff that you have forgotten again. and again. and again..... You can even use it to pass on information to your guy in the other seat, if he shows an interest in learning.