PDA

View Full Version : Herbie Ray, helicopter engineer

Nigel Osborn
29th Apr 2018, 08:24
Does anyone know if Herbie Ray, the one armed helicopter engineer is still around? He was with Helicopter Utilities which became Airfast Helicopters in the late 60s & 70s. Senior engineer in PNG, also flew the Helo Courier. In the 90s he had his own maintenance business at Bankstown & I think John W bought the business & kept him as manager. He must be in his 80s now, so I hope he is happily retired!
Much appreciated if anyone can bring me up to date.

Ascend Charlie
29th Apr 2018, 08:47
Been 11 years since I saw him but he was still with JW and coming up to The Farm occasionally to check on the operations.

Funny guy, he lost his arm in a fishing accident. Using expanding bait.

RVDT
29th Apr 2018, 11:44
Try the guys at United Aero Camden NSW. Most of JW's guys carried on out there after JW sold out. They will know and he lived out in that direction.

John Eacott
29th Apr 2018, 12:34
He of the PMA Pty Ltd: Positive Mental Attitude!

Nigel Osborn
30th Apr 2018, 04:52
Do you guys know who I can speak to in the Camden area? Did he work for United Aero?

Eddie Dean
2nd May 2018, 03:59
Do you guys know who I can speak to in the Camden area? Did he work for United Aero?Give Mick Clancy a ring, he should know.

Helicopter doctor
4th May 2018, 02:54
I used to work for Herbie at Flight Facilities, Mascot. Had a few dealings with him in the 30 years years after. He was then Assistant Chief engineer, (there was no Chief Engineer) next up the food chain was Hank Hendry.

Last I saw him he was with Maxie Mann at Bankstown. I hope he is still around, I loved his sense of humor.
Doc.

pngheliops
8th May 2018, 02:09
So, where are we at?

Has anyone tracked down Herby??

Dick Smith
13th May 2018, 01:00
I am told he is living in Baitmans Bay. NSW Send a private message and I will send a number

Nigel Osborn
13th May 2018, 08:17
Dick,
Sending message. Thx.